Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Build guides for Classic 1.06b?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Mislan, Mar 5, 2012. | Replies: 27 | Views: 16968

1. Mislan

Mislan IncGamers Member

Build guides for Classic 1.06b?

Hello all,

I've recently become interested in playing Classic (again), but at version 1.06b.

Can anyone point me to character builds for this version?

Thanks,
    Mislan

2. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Re: Build guides for Classic 1.06b?

We did discuss these a long time ago. I cannot seem to locate it at the moment. If you happen upon the thread, let me know and I'll link it from the stickies.

3. VThief

VThief IncGamers Member

I really don't know much and can't be of much help. However, I've been playing 1.04b lately, trying to slowly build up a bit of a trophy barb and sorc and it feels like a totally different game to 1.13c LOD. The differences are huge.

Hope you enjoy it.

4. WarlockCC

Feel free to list your build here, as there may be others looking to build a 1.04b char too. :)

5. VThief

VThief IncGamers Member

The barbarian is much the same as any other classic whirlwind barb AFAIK.

Enough STR for equipment, enough DEX for the lance in this case. Rest into VIT. Not sure whether to push him through to ornate level strength (170) or find an iceblink and stick with that. MFing and barb skill find items are pretty broken in these early patches, so smashing corpses isn't an issue imo.

I couldn't find a normal, imbuable lance for ages let alone an already rare one, but then my sorc found two rare lances in consecutive lower kurast chest runs. The second one was:

53-271 damage / +2 barb skills / 103 attack rating / 1 cold damage / 125 durability / 32 poison damage / level 30 req!

Found when my barb was level 29 slogging along NM act 1 with a magical dimensional sword with 32-61 damage, so the upgrade at level 30 was immense. Raced through NM with that lance and some other very nice gear:

Fastest run walk / 16 strength / 29 life / 22 cold res / 11 lightning res greaves
    Fastest hit recovery / 18 strength / 32 life / 39 fire res / 17 poison res war belt
    4% mana leech / 2 max dmg / 5 dex / 45 lightning res ring

He then has wormskull, a magical 20 priz/3MDR ammy, a 7 dex/low fire res ring, sigon gauntlets which all need to be replaced.

The sorceress has maxed frozen orb, ~11 points in static, ~11 points in warmth, 1 point so far in energy shield (may add more as her mana increases, especially if I get frostburn or soj), ~9 points in cold mastery so far (it's bonuses per level increase have become miniscule). She got to 50 base STR, but could have had less. No DEX added (shard only has "fastest cast rate" here - which is effectively 20%, same as wands and scepters as far as I know). She actually added hard points into ENERGY, which not many builds do in any patch. I used roughly a 1:1 VIT:ENERGY ratio, which felt like it worked decently.

Levelling up was painfully slow till level 30 - far worse than the barb. With no respec's or synergies I was using level 1 glacial spike or lightning as my killing moves at level 29.

Rounding up a bunch of enemies Frost nova + static many times + glacial spike to blow everything up works well but it's so mana intensive that it was impractical to carry enough mana potions to do so continuously and I was just TPing to town to heal after every single group I killed.

Once you hit level 30 frozen orb is again mana heavy, but I used eyeless shield (5 to Mana Per Kill), a magical ring (2 MPK) and a rare ring (1 MPK) which made it tollerable. With no timer in between castings when you have the mana for it you can spam frozen orbs out as fast as your cast rate will allow, which is very powerful.

6. WarlockCC

I recall there was an issue with some of the earlier patches which simply prevented lances from dropping.
    Some of our fellow forumites may be able to fill in which patches where affected and under which conditions. :)

-edit-
    Oh yeah, in the patch you are playing, does Seis pull potions from your belt ?

7. Mislan

Mislan IncGamers Member

So far I have made it to level 46 with a hammerdin - using Smite as a back-up skill. I was able to max out BH and Concentration, and have a point in each of Smite and Redemption (Redemption is a life saver, since I'm always running out of mana). I'm currently putting points into Blessed Shield in order to get both the duration and increased defense.

I was lucky in that I found a Monk's amulet with some additional mana, and a +2 Pally scepter with both fast cast and fast attack mods.

I'm doing ACT 4 NM Chaos runs to build experience before moving on to Hell. I must say that resistances are a big problem for me. I have a 3D Tower Shield and Nightsmoke, but I'm finding that is not quite adequate. Anyone have suggestions on where to find a Goldskin (I think that's the armor that offers additional resistances)?

I have not seen de Seis pulling potions from me in v 1.06b -- but he tends to die very quickly when hit.

Mislan

8. VThief

VThief IncGamers Member

9. Creon

Creon IncGamers Member

Lance's not dropping was fixed in 1.04, in additional to a number of other items (Grim Helm included).

Enhanced Damage working off of a 1-1 damage base on Bow's was fixed in 1.04 and for two-hand Mace's was fixed in 1.07 (I think). The error was the result of both items being given 1-1 one-hand damage and calculating Enhanced Damage off of the one-hand values.

Two-handed Swords also calculated the damage enhancement for both one-hand and two-hand damage based on one-hand damage (fixed in 1.07). Hence, the old 180%+ ED Executioner Swords did maybe 90-170 two-hand damage instead of their current 131-225 two-hand damage or better. It was because of these two bugs that Lances were the most popular two-hand weapon. Executioner Swords and Battle Hammer's were the most popular one-hand weapons.

Thief (Lord de Seis) was also removed in 1.04 due to the bug where it would crash the game for Barbarian's if used against them mid-Whirlwind.

Another "bug" of note was that Frozen Orb would not hit monsters it had already moved past. Stated differently, the spikes that were thrown toward the character did nothing and only those moving away from the character hit monsters.

A couple other things to bear in mind: Necromancer summon's had collision detection, there was a Magic Find dead zone in the 151-193% range, and multi-shot lightning enhanced will wreck you.

10. Mislan

Mislan IncGamers Member

Thanks, VThief!

I found those links to be very helpful.

Regards,
    Mislan

11. Andyhasit

Andyhasit IncGamers Member

Me and one other dude started playing 1.06b tcp/ip, im a 26 bowazon and hes a orb sorc 28, were at nightmare a1 atm and I have 2 filler chars also, if anybody wants to join us sometime add veikko86@hotmail.com to messenger

12. VThief

VThief IncGamers Member

If you're still playing it Mislan (or anyone else) you should post some pictures of your best rare item finds!

13. Mislan

Mislan IncGamers Member

Hello all,

Here are some pics of my ww barb (Beowulf) and Hammerdin (Percival) with a few of the rare / magical items that I've picked up so far in v1.06b

Since I use a macintosh G3 Powerbook and G3 iMac running Mac OS 9 for v1.06b, muling is very difficult -- I am not aware of any muling S/W that runs on this (old) operating system. I connect my machines via TCP/IP locally via Ethernet, and transfer items among characters that way.

Anyway, here are some examples of the items that I've found:

View attachment 1501
    View attachment 1502
    View attachment 1503
    View attachment 1500

14. Mislan

Mislan IncGamers Member

Oops!

My Hammerdin is Lancelot (not Percival) -- I've gotten the names confused with my other Pally.

Mislan

15. Akii

Akii IncGamers Member

Sorc is really fun in 1.06.. no cast delay on any skills. Spam that firewall and hydras and meteors etc! Really fun to play, play style was very different.

16. Mislan

Mislan IncGamers Member

Thanks, Akii

Can you talk about how you equipped your fire-skill sorc?

Mislan

17. Akii

Akii IncGamers Member

Well I mostly played cold sorcs.

For most fun get as much fastest cast rate items :)

You can invest a lot energy for more mana if you use energy shield skill (50-60% absorb damage to mana)

18. Mislan

Mislan IncGamers Member

Since my last post I was able to get my WW-Barb, Hmmaerdin and Multi-shot Bowazon through Act 4 Hell.

I'm currently working on a LF Javazon (level 38 in NM Act 2), and a fire-Sorc (level 30 in Norm Act 3).

The Javazon is a bit of a challenge due to the rather low damage weapons available. The Sorc is fun (once she reached level 30), I think due to the lack of casting delay and the boost in damage from fire mastery. I'm currently planning to use Meteor as my main attack.

I'll post any interesting rare / magical items that pop up.

--Mislan

19. Andyhasit

Andyhasit IncGamers Member

hey mislan i have 3 chars at hell a3, lvl 44 bowazon, lvl 10 sorc, lvl 2 barb, we could get a 6ppl hell game by tcp/ip if you want.

20. VThief

VThief IncGamers Member

I mostly do self multiplayer games. Hell flayer and hell cs runs with my ww lance barb (lvl 59) doing the killing and have my orb sorc (61), bowzon (49) and IM+BG necro (47) sit at the wp or entrance to cs. Finding out they just have to be in the same area to get exp changed the way I play.

Each of those chars are quite well equipped now. I then have a bunch of chars in the low 30's who are currently lvling with each other in nm - exe barb, hammerdin, hydra sorc, LF javazon, war cry barb, jab spearzon. These chars aren't impressively equipped, but are decent at least.

I've gambled SO much gold by now and still have no nice rings :(