Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Build for a self found WD?

Discussion in 'Witch Doctor' started by MoneyMike, Dec 26, 2012. | Replies: 9 | Views: 8268

1. MoneyMike

MoneyMike IncGamers Member

Hey guys, I recently started playing again, but on different servers so I'm starting from scratch. My first character is a WD, and I'm playing self found, no AH. I've been scanning the forums and have read a few builds, but I'm not sure how gear dependant they all are.

What build would you recommend for a self found/low geared WD?

Thanks for any thoughts!
  2. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

I used this for a while:

http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skil...fRStSdW5lX0QrMjE3OTY4KzIwODYyOCsyMTg1MDErMQ==

The build above work in lower levels...

Splinters are good even if your DPS is low. With High DPS, firebomb is better.
    Lob blob bomb works as an extra pet (slow burn can work better).
    ZD/Leeching beasts can help if you don't have LoH.

JF and Vessel gives you extra survivability and pierce the veil gives more damage, since your skills don't eat lots of mana.

This build work decently with INT, VIT and some AR.

When you get some better, crit% and a socketed weapon can be useful for emerald.

You want ~500 AR and 30k life (around 200k-300k EHP) and DPS as high as possible. 10k DPS + is a must. 20k+ is doable. 50k+ gives you some A3 farming edge - I started from ther using the AR. 80-100k DPS gives you fast farming speed on act 3 MP0 (Acid Cloud will 1-2hit ko most white mobs).

Some skills are better with IAS (Firebomb), other skills proc LoH better (Rain of Toads) and pierce the veil is useful to reach the next dps breakpoint. The all around build changes, depending on how much IAS, DPS, crit, etc. you have. Generally, Poison Dart/Firebomb/Spiders/Rain of Toads on Left Click and ZB/AR/Locust Swarm on Right Click.
  3. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

The above build works great so i can definitely recommend it. It has zero gear reliance and even with the best gear it's the best wd farming build in the game.

I just don't agree with some of the skills Baronscarpia has listed.
    The Lob blob rune for Acid cloud is bad. The only rune that should be used is the first one that adds more radius. Acid rain. More hits = more damage = more life leech not to mention it works much better with life on hit.

Poison dart is not very good either. I've never liked it or found a use for it except maybe for killing uber bosses. Ghost bomb is what i would recommend. It has a massive aoe radius and good damage.

I've been farming for 40 paragon levels with my wd and i have tried, really tried to see what's so good with spirit vessel. And there just isn't anything good with it unless you play hardcore or are a hardcore speed farmer. 2 seconds shorter cooldown to spirit walk's 15 secs isn't gonna do anything on it's own and if you are dying so much you need this you need to pause for a moment and rethink your tactics.

Heres the best acid cloud bar i have figured out from my 40 paragon levels: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Kompaniet-2519/hero/19943549

Just replace fetish army with zombie dogs. That's my opinion.
  4. BaronScarpia

I used "my build" when I had nothing but Int, Vit and AR.

Actual me: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Baron-1545/hero/954277 (@Dogbert: unsocketed manajuma's here too! High-5! :))

That means I kinda don't agree with some skills I suggested as well, but they worked well for me when I had not-ok gear.

I use Acid Cloud/Acid Rain, but I started using it when I got higher DPS. With 10/20k DPS, it didn't worked as I was expecting it too. Lob blob is bad, but the "slime pets" help dividing damage between the "not you" (pets, follower, etc.). The blobs were great drawing attention. If you don't need them, slow burn is useful for extra damage.

Maybe I'm wrong, but splinters - 3 darts has the best single target damage with no IAS (not DPS, but kill speed-wise). Maybe it's a misconception based on the animation speed. An honorable mention is rain of toads, if you have LoH, since it has high proc rate.

Everytime I do significant upgrades on my gear, I switch my mouse skills. Based on personal opinion (not sience).

-Splinters: To kill diablo, with low damage or without AS on gear. You can aim using the minimap, from far far away.
    -Firebomb: I use it only when I have around 1.5 APS. On MP0, I use flash fire for the extra bounces, to cover a larger area.
    -Rain of Toads: If I have 500+ loh and when using bears.

-Zombie Bears: Against Cydaea, to kill spiderlings and the big spider before enrage timer. It is arguibly the best damaging skill, but painful to aim and mana-eating/gear dependant. That said, I hate bears.
    - Acid Cloud: Acid rain is the "best" rune and the more used one, but one could use Slow burn for focused damage and blob for extra minions, if undergeared.
    - Locust Swarm: I don't like the way this skill works, but there's a build on this very forums, by Aerial, iirc. Gear dependant.
    - Sacrifice: Imo, it's "The" gear dependant build and it requires monstruous ping/hardware, cause it can be very laggy.

If you don't like a certain skill, just use another or change them as you upgrade your gear. ex.: go with Acid rain if your weapon is 1h, see if you can make bears work if you find a good 2h. Use firebomb if you have nothing/LS, rain of toads if you have loh.

PS: ZD/leeching beasts is kinda useful if you don't have big LoH and/or Blackthorne's Jousting Mail. It seems people are starting to use it more.
  5. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

You are right Baronscarpia. I wasn't thinking from a self found player perspective. Your first build you mentioned works great and that's all that really matters. :)

Off topic: I couldn't afford a manajuma with a socket so i ended up with one without for a good deal. But wow i must have missed the fact manajuma can have over 300 int. I didn't know that so maybe it wasn't such a good deal after all.
  6. MoneyMike

MoneyMike IncGamers Member

Thanks for the thoughts guys. That build took me pretty much all the way through to inferno. (Sorry I didn't reply sooner)

I have a confession though. I got all the way to inferno self found, and then was seduced by the dark side. The dark side being the AH.

I truly have no willpower.
  7. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

The real dark side is the RMAH. I think the actual AH makes a bit more sense after you've been playing a good while and have more or less beat the game, at which point you really have no goal remaining but to upgrade your gear (and PL) for the sake of doing so. So using the AH at that point gives you an excuse to use your gold, which would otherwise become largely meaningless (unless you're a big fan of crafting... for some reason).

The only problem is that the SC economy is kind of loopy imo, if that's what you're playing. But I think it's much more justifiable to use the AH after/towards the end of inferno. Unless you simply don't want to, in which case more power to you.

Thanks for the build idea here too. I just started up a witch doctor and, despite completely disliking the idea of it and not feeling that it fits in the game whatsoever, I'm enjoying playing it mechanics wise so far.
  8. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

Only the strongest players can resist the real dark side (Rmah) :)
  9. illusions

illusions IncGamers Member

I use a Summoner Built for my Witch Doctor, im able to solo inferno 5 and up with very minimal repairs required for this built. What is so special about this built, is it requires absolutely NO MANA BOOST. You will never run out of mana.

Active Skills
    - Gargantuan (Bruiser - Stun is good and 200% weap dmg)
    - Summon Zombie Dog (Life Leech - Your only skill to get life)
    - Plague of Toads (Addling Toads...low mana, AoE, and confuses enemies... what else do u need? Stay back and spam while ur pets kill)
    - Fetish Army (Devoted Following - Lowers cooldown to 68 secs)
    - Big Bad Voodoo (Slam Dance - All your pets get 30% dmg + 20% atk speed + 20% movement)
    - Spirit Walk (Jaunt) ... this is the only optional skill, can be replaced by Mass Confusion (Paranoia - for more dmg) OR Soul Harvest

Passive Skills
    - Tribal Rites (25% reduce cooldown on most of ur skills, IT IS A MUST, ur fetish army cooldown goes down to 51 secs)
    - Pierce The Veil (ur overall dmg increased by 20%, ur mana cost increased by 30% ... who cares about increase of mana? The main skill ur gonna be spamming is 12 mana which is regenerated instantly when u cast almost.)
    - Fetish Sycophants (these little guys are ALOT STRONGER then the active skill, but both is a deadly combination, if anyone knows exact weapon dmg % of this passive skill pls share.)

My DPS is around 175k without Big Bad Voodoo activated, so with Big Bad Voodoo activated , ur summon zombie dogs get 9% + 30% so 39% of 175k , gargantuan is 200% weapon dmg + 30% so 230% of 175k , Fetish Army is 20% base + 30% so 50% of 175k ... the Fetish Sycophants are much stronger, I heard around 150% base or more but cant guarantee this.

Your probably gonna ask, why no Soul Harvest and why no Gruesome Feast ?

No Soul Harvest because Radius is only 15-16 yards ... ur standing far from ur pets whos attacking for u... pointless.
    Gruesome Feast ... my gear doesnt have high Pickup Radius... if your gear does have high pickup radius u might want to use this skill

An easy way to get high DPS is by not sacrificing any crit hit chance on any equipment except the mojo (I recommend using Skorn with crit hit dmg and a socket with 1400 dps+ for ur 2H weapon, it will increase ur dps by minimum 10k , by using that instead of a 1000 dps crit weap + mojo)

with low-mediocre gear you can still achieve 75k dps + , but I would definately save up 5 - 10 mill for that weapon above.
  10. BaronScarpia

@MoneyMike: Congrats on beating inferno!

@Dogbert: OT: I got a lucky deal on Manajuma's, but since I don't plan to use the chicken, I won't invest on a better manajuma's, since they min damage is too low and it score low crits. If I upgrade my weapon sometime, probably it will be a spear with LS, Int, crit and socket.