Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Build brainstorm: the Relentless Bomber

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by HardRock, Mar 28, 2012. | Replies: 24 | Views: 2935

1. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Build brainstorm: the Relentless Bomber

I like thinking about characters builds that are based on crazy, at first glance horribly non-functional ideas and then making them work. I like the challenge. If you do too then you're in luck, because I came up with a such build for the Barb. I'm having trouble with the "making it work" part though, so I thought that maybe I should ask for ideas here. I mean people who visit a forum dedicated to a muscly dude and dudette bound to have a few insightful ideas about a crazy character build, right? :)

The thread's title is a strong hint at what this build is about: combining the Relentless passive, the Dread Bomb rune of Weapon Throw and constant low health to spam potentially one of the most damaging skill in the game.

Ignoring the possibility, that Relentless may not prevent Dread Bomb from spending all your Fury, these are the problems that need to be solved:

1) The less than 20% health part. Getting there is easy. Staying there? That's more tricky. Health globes should be avoided (party play is out of the question), just like any form of life leech and regen on your gear. To be able to survive, this build will need a ****load of Vitality and/or some form of damage mitigation.

2) The best mitigation would be staying away from enemies with the help of ranged snares from skills. This is a challenge for a Barb, but with the Shattered Ground rune Seismic Slam could be used for this purpose. This could mean, that this build would be mostly a ranged one. Also, remember that under ideal circumstances Fury costs aren't a problem for this build.

3) Constantly staying below 20% health is probably unrealistic, so a good damage skill will be needed when we need health and can't spam Dread Bomb. A Fury generator may suffice though.

4) Preserving Fury. This is important, because more Fury means more Dread Bomb damage. Most Fury generators are too dangerous to use below 20% health, because of their short range. Unforgiving is a really good choice for this purpose, but it would leave us with only one open passive slot. The Rage Flip rune of Ancient Spear comes to mind as well.

After thinking about these problems I came up with this build: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aeUdfR!UWV!YZbccZ

I chose Sprint, since with Relentless it's a "passive" 50% movement speed bonus, which could be used to evade projectiles and explosion of enemies like the Grotesques.

Ignore Pain should be used against those pesky ranged attackers or unavoidable, fast moving enemies, like the leaping scavengers in the beta.

I would really appreciate any input on this build, since I could have missed some solutions to the problems I listed. What do you guys think, is this build viable or am I a complete lunatic? :)
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. Lucas S

Lucas S IncGamers Member

Re: Build brainstorm: the Relentless Bomber

It doesn't really work does it? If you have a ton of life and/or damage mitigation, the fight is likely to be over before you hit 20%.

And if you somehow do hit 20% while in the middle of the fight, you are basically trying to stay between 10% (red screen) and 20%, which is such a narrow band... and your survival instincts will be screaming at you to chug a potion... not a realistic build imo! But it is interesting nonetheless :thumbup:
  3. HardRock

Just stand in place and get hit if you want to reach 20% quickly. :)

Otherwise, like I said, just ignore potions and globes and you'll get there eventually. :)

Well, I wouldn't play in Hardcore with this build, that's for sure. :)

The thing is, that Relentless also gives you 50% damage reduction below 20% HP. That means, that when you hit 20%, effectively you'll still have 30% of your HP left. You have other ways to further mitigate incoming damage. Higher than usual Vitality, Armor, Dodge or resists will be required for this build, exactly for the reason you mentioned. You have to feel comfortable fighting on low HP.

I didn't say that it will be easy, only that it will be... crazy? :)

4. iESCAPISM

iESCAPISM IncGamers Member

Well, that's like playing the game with a permanent health pool of 30%, in a way, which seems pretty interesting! Personally I'd swap the last skill for War Cry with either Impunity (because I imagine ranged spells will be your biggest problem, with all your tools to deal with melee attackers) or Hardened Wrath, if it turns out I'm wrong! While it's good to have the "Oh snap!" skill, I dare argue that a permanent boost to mitigation would be more beneficial than a long-cooldown/short-duration panic button, which you could pretty much use Sprint as anyway.

It's quite possible Nerves of Steel will outperform Tough as Nails as well, depending on how much Vitality you can rack up on your gear (which I understand is of importance). And with the same argument as in the above paragraph; Superstition may actually be even more useful, if it turns out your active skills are enough to keep melee oriented mobs at bay.
  5. HardRock

Completely forgot about War Cry and its runes, thanks for mentioning it. This is exactly why I posted this build, there's so much possibilities in D3's skill system that it's really hard to think about all your options. :)

Impunity vs. Hardened Wrath is an interesting choice. Which one you should choose depends on the enemies you face of course, but its also very important to consider your gear. Armor will reduce spell damage as well. For this reason if the Barb doesn't have much resists Impunity could be the better choice even against casters.

Both Superstition and Nerves of Steel are a good choices as well. I would actually consider switching Animosity to either of them, if our Fury pools can be sufficiently extended by items.
  6. iESCAPISM

While you wouldn't want to play with just any stranger in a MP game, if you had a partner or two aware of your plan (or a Follower, since they all have CC and such) that could make things a bit less stress full. Thinking Sorc with nova and bubble, or another Barb with taunt. Barb might accidentally walk up to a health orb though, so hm...
  7. HardRock

The Templar is an amazing follower for this build: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/follower#1001

Since we will be on the brink of death at all times as far as the AI is concerned, the Templar will constantly taunt enemies off of us. He will need some life regen items to stay alive though, because we won't be able to heal him with globes.
  8. iESCAPISM

And followers cannot pick up orbs, correct?

note: I lack access to beta
  9. Lucas S

Lucas S IncGamers Member

Followers do pick up orbs (unless my eyes deceive me)
  10. HardRock

I don't think they do.
  11. Lucas S

Lucas S IncGamers Member

So for every single fight, you have to stand still and get hit until 20% health before springing to action? Not sure how fun that is going to be :scratchchin:
  12. Lucas S

Lucas S IncGamers Member

Hardrock: When I fight Leoric, I do see the follower picking up orbs. Not 100% sure, I concede.
  13. HardRock

Not for every fight. You do it once and then try to survive with Seismic Slam, Dread Bomb and possibly other skills as well.

Could you check this out? I only have partial access to the beta and my time will only come in a few hours. :)

14. Lucas S

Lucas S IncGamers Member

Will do mate but I too will only be able to get home in a few hours
  15. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

why ancient spear as a generator and not leap attack?
    It seems generating more fury and getting further away from enemies would be more useful than generating less fury and pulling enemies closer
  16. HardRock

Leap generates the same amount of Fury as Ancient Spear. It requires you to hit something for the Fury gain though, so you have to jump at an enemy (or breakable), which I don't want to do when I'm on low health.

Ancient Spear is a much safer alternative for maintaining a large pool of Fury and with the Rage Flip rune it actually pushes enemies away, instead of pulling them towards you.

Oh, sorry, I didn't know what timezone you were in. :)

17. kar

kar IncGamers Member

I don't know the barb skills inside and out, so I won't suggest anything specifically.

But... I think there are 2 things which would help this build out:
    1) Extremely high vitality from gear. The more health you have, the more health you'll have at 20%. With this in mind, the passive Nerves of Steel is a no-brainer.
    2) A method of injuring yourself in a predictable way (besides standing around getting hit by enemies). As far as I know, there is no such method in the game, unfortunately!
  18. HardRock

Of course there is! Why haven't I thought of this before? I'm an idiot, that's why.

Equipping gear with Vitality on it only raises your maximum HP at the moment and not your current HP. If we need to go back below 20% we should just re-equip some Vitality gear, which we'll have plenty of. :)

EDIT: No, followers can't pickup health globes. Just tested this.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  19. Adult

Adult IncGamers Member

Can you unequip/equip things on the fly/in combat? i.e. be in battle, hoving around the magic numbers, then receive a (unwanted) heal, then quickly unequip your highest vit/% items to get back to the magic numbers? It could be viable for team play if you can dart out of combat and "fix" your stats, as long as it doesn't happen all the time.

I think, without the option to abstain from health orbs (like an opt out?) this build will require to much micro management to fly in team play.

It could be a really fun build for goofing off once you're high level. It might even be a beastly killer farmer. I'll probably experiment with it on release.
  20. HardRock

At the moment, you can un- and re-equip any items at any time, even in combat.