Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Budget WW barb help

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Canaduh, Dec 29, 2012. | Replies: 8 | Views: 2747

1. Canaduh

Canaduh IncGamers Member

I just started playing again recently and I threw this guy together with close to 1 mil. Now I want to start upgrading him as I get more gold and wanted to know what to change first. I currently have 2 mil to spend. Also critique my skills if you want.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Canaduh-1516/hero/21193173

Thanks a lot guys!
  2. mortuus

mortuus Diablo: IncGamers Member

skills look fine but with that budget its hard, most important is high crtical hit dam/chance, and as much Str as possible.
  3. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

First thing I'd do would be to get a socketed Andy's (preferably with lower fire damage taken), IK helm, or whatever you prefer for the slot and stick at least a star ruby in it.

Your skills seem fine for low MP, though I might try replacing Bloodthirst with Boon of Bul-Kathos or some other passive if you have no trouble surviving. You could also test Frenzy (Vanguard) instead of Bash; the extra move speed is fun. Last, you could see if you can survive using Rend (Ravage) instead of Warcry. I'm not sure whether or not you have enough mitigation for it; you'd have to see for yourself.
  4. pankajzone

pankajzone IncGamers Member

5. Galabab

Galabab IncGamers Member

I think with dps below 100k one should use life on hit.
  6. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

My equilibrium point was at about 60k (unbuffed but with passives taken into consideration), even though I had a relatively high attack speed in comparison with the overall state of my gear at the time and ~1700 LoH. Unbuffed LoH was certainly better, but after Battle Rage and WotB, Life Steal was just as good as Life on Hit. And WotB was always up for me.

It is going to depend on how much your actual dps is with whirlwind + sprint tornados. Gearing strategy is also important. A high attack speed means your point of equilibrium (where max LoH = max LS) will come later than if you used slower, heavier-hitting weapons. Also, switching to Life Steal a little early can give your weapons a longer life span before requiring an upgrade, thus allowing you to invest more resources in other gear.
  7. Galabab

Galabab IncGamers Member

For high amounts of LS stacked I agree.
    Its possible to get a maximum of 9% LS. Lets say 10%. So its 2% of your damage in inferno.
    If you do 60k dps its 1.2k life/s which is probably just about OK.

But compare this with LoH. You can get up to 3.4k LoH. And with any reasonoble weapons it hits much more than once a sec.
    Its very slot hungry though, so you wont get that much ofcourse.

So Im saying 60k is a very optimistic value. Even 100k is still quite optimistic.

I think what you really want is to ONLY use LS from belt so you can let your weapon and jewelry be pure dps. But this really starts working from 200dps onward.
    Until then either full LoH or at least mixing it.
    I myself am mixing it now at 60k dps with my barb. 3% LS + 1.3k LoH works much better for me than 6%LS.
  8. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Thing is, 60k dps on your character screen is only vaguely related to the actual damage you are doing to monsters. With my ~130k unbuffed (but with passives) and 2.03 aps on main and off hand (7.5 ticks/second for both whirlwind and sprint tornados), and the average 3.5 tornados on the ground, 1% life steal is worth 425 LoH. In a more realistic situation, with Battle Rage and Wrath up (209k screen dps), 1% LS is worth 570ish LoH.

Then there's attack speed. If you're using slow weapons and/or little attack speed gear, Life Steal becomes valuable earlier because you hit less often, even at the same DPS. Yes, the maximum 12% (2 weapons, belt, passive) Life Steal really only steals 2.4% of the damage you do, but the proc coefficients also reduce that 3.4k LoH to 680 for whirlwind and 272 for tornado. Not to mention that you cut into your DPS (for the same cost) by obtaining LoH from rings, amulet, and pants, much like you do for getting such defensive properties on weapons.

With ~6% life steal I've been surviving even Reflect Damage packs fairly easily on low MP since I hit about 70k unbuffed dps. With ~140k unbuffed and 3% life steal I can plow through A3 MP 0-3 without war cry using a full IK build (though 1+ is not efficient for experience - my Skorn and IK stuff is cheap compared to my dual wield setup).

LS vs LoH depends on the (real) damage per second you're doing, the proc coefficients of the skills you're using, and how fast you're attacking. You can kinda get by with rules of thumb (each for a particular build) but you'll never really know unless you do the math. Or use a calculator.
  9. Galabab

Galabab IncGamers Member

Yep, thats my mistake right here. Thx.

AND my other mistake is that I didnt know WW cant leech with LoH at all!
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013