Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bow Amazons options

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Excalibur, Dec 16, 2012. | Replies: 36 | Views: 9411

1. Excalibur

Excalibur IncGamers Member

Hey guys,

Can someone please tell me what options do you have building a bow amazon? I've seen most players are using a strafe one.

Thank you.
  2. royalairfarce

royalairfarce IncGamers Member

If u want a powerfull char using strafe its going to cost u a lot. There some guides on this forum about them already (Witchwild String is pretty cheap):
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/...zon-Build-Guides-and-Other-Useful-Information

Freezing arrow works fine also but u will have to pump up the + skills to 10 or so to get it working properly in Hell. I love Wizendraw bow with it. It only consumes a lot of mana so big manaleech/insight merc required.

Fire is though, many immunes not much resists.

Oh and get your merc some Crushing blow, act bosses aint very fast with Bow
  3. Excalibur

Okay, so basically we have 3 options?

1. Strafe
    2. Cold
    3. Fire

Thank you!
  4. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

I would call it

1. Physical
    2. Cold
    3. Fire

Physical is not just strafe, there's also multishot and guided, and ( though few ppl use it ) magic arrows.
    I would also add that a lot of the cold/fire bowas use physical ( strafe, usually ) as backup.
  5. Excalibur

Isn't a strafe amazon using a multi shot anyway?
  6. royalairfarce

Think strafe is used vs the more tight packs, Multi vs loose once so yes for physical dmg there used both in same build.
    Can only recommend Cold in Hell though, Strafe/Multi just pale in comparison to a few Lightning fury javalin Throws.
  7. zaphodbrx

What makes you think cold also doesn't 'pale in comparison to a few Lightning fury javalin Throws' ? It's besides the point, we're making a bowa here, not LF.
    Strafe/multi is certainly not worse than cold with the right equipment. In fact it could be said to be better.
  8. royalairfarce

Made already in 3-4 ladders a Freezing Arrow/Lightning Fury ama's, ofc cold also "pales in comparison to lightning Fury" but it's a nice addition vs Lightning immunes.
    Lets say the Strafe/Multi experiences I had were rather mediocre to bad compared to a lvl 30 Freezing Arrow. If only Strafe would unload all its arrows on the closest mob. Would love to give it another try but not without some truely great gear.
  9. jbgoogl

jbgoogl IncGamers Member

10. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator; Clan Officer West

You don't need great gear to make a strafe zon. It helps of course. But I have finished many bowazons using strafe. Some with Frozen Arrow and some using other skills. But Strafe/Frozen is my favorite bow build. It's not as fast as a LF zon but a bit more strategy is involved.
  11. zaphodbrx

Good strafe/multi zons are very expensive to make. FA does better with budget gear I'll admit ( eg M'avina set )
    That said, strafe multi zons when properly kitted are quite powerful and pack a punch.

Here's a video I made ( players 7 bowa pit run )

12. royalairfarce

Looks nice, Faith, might merc with Pride, assume Fortitude. Would love to make myself a bowazon again, missing the pre 1.10 days. Have to start saving ;)
  13. Excalibur

Thanks for the info guys.

That Ice Runewords looks very beautiful. I suppose this is what a Frost Amazon should use?
  14. zaphodbrx

'Ice' is okay for a frostzon but it's not something I would be in a hurry to make. You need a lot of other expensive gear to make 'Ice' truly worth it. 'Faith' on the other hand is a swiss army knife- it can be used for almost any build, including frost arrows.
  15. Quingu

Quingu Banned

Why don't you use Magic Arrow instead of Freezing Arrow? I mean, with +10 skill, you can get 30% magic damage, which works on ALL immunes. Freezing Arrow does measly 300 cold dmg, which is nothing in hell. Also, freeze effect is heavily penalized in Hell mode.
  16. Dacar92

Not entirely true. FA does splash damage, not just the damage the physical arrow does. Plus it's about the freeze. Damage at higher levels can be considerable. I'll find the calcs for you.
  17. Dacar92

Care to elaborate a bot more? Why go with physical/strafe?

Or are you trying to build up a post count since you just joined?
  18. Whitering

Whitering IncGamers Member

FA is useless unless you actually build an FA Zon, in which case, you will not be quite as powerful in the physical dept as a physical zon with Magic Arrow. It's what I use. I run the Pit primarily, but I also take on some of the more difficult areas depending on what spawns there are. She is by far the safest character in the game.

I do not use Faith, I mean, it's good, but Pride with a Might Merc and Windforce already kills everything and your magic arrow is super wonderful at taking down the odd boss. Most of the physical immune monsters in the game are super wimpy ghosts, with almost no HP, so killing them with Magic Arrow is super fast.
  19. zaphodbrx

I've never actually used magic arrow. But you can easily get 2k frozen arrows without significant reduction in physical damage output.
  20. Quingu

Quingu Banned

I used maxed MA to beat Normal, using 5-10 damage Zephyr bow. I recommend going 20 MA, 20 Strafe. It is the most flexible build, IMO. The problem with FA is that you will be mostly using Strafe. Thus, you need only something for those rare situations where something is immune to physical. With Act II merc and maxed Valkyrie, you don't need additional defense which freezing from FA provides.

With FA, you might encounter PI AND CI monster, which will be almost impossible to take down with just one point in MA.

Another advantage of MA is that it doesn't require mana and arrows, making it very economical to use.

My bowazon costs around 150 fg on d2jsp, about 10 high runes.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012