Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bow ama is terrible..

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by diablotwoplayerforlife, Sep 4, 2012. | Replies: 44 | Views: 5838

1. diablotwoplayerforlife

diablotwoplayerforlife Banned

Well. I made a bowazon. Faith GMB, Merc with Last Wish. Gores, Raven, Cat's eye, Torch, etc. She is terrible. She is struggling with killing the monsters in RoF, and she can barely make it to CS. And if she does, she dies as soon as she get struck by elemental damage. Seriously, with all this godly gear - that very few can afford - she is still that bad? I maxed pierce, critical strike, etc. I used mulitshot but I tried strafe as well, strafe does slightly more damage (still far from even remotely satisfying) but suffered from poor killing speed. She even had troubles running cows... What is wrong? I've seen Amazons clearing the cowlevel quickly, like 1 multishot, all the cows just dropped to the ground. That was what I was expecting, but I got disappointed.
  2. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Whats your basedmg? even a 2000ed% dmg wont make your bowzon good, if youre basedmg sucks.

Get some +30max dmg jwls and some +3/4 dmg scs!

My bowa got something similar in gear like yours. But Ive also invested in many half crappy +3dmg scs. And she kills everyone in CS and DIablo in a 8player game!

Oh, shes got knockback gloves!! Get that!

Peace
  3. diablotwoplayerforlife

I'm thinking of switching to WF for the higher base max damage and knockback effect as well.
  4. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

But it cant get that amazing attackspeed of a good faith. Its one or the other!

But you are right, WF gives you a higher dmg/sec in the end.
    Especially if you have a merc with the Might aura! :D

Peace
  5. diablotwoplayerforlife

I just tried WF with a Might A5 merc. The damage is downright pathetic. I want to 1 shot cows and monsters in RoF and CS - Am I having too high expectations for my Amazon?
  6. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Please post a clean (easy to read) list of the items you use, down to the charms aswell! Id like to help you here!

And whats your damage atm? How have you allocated your stats?

Peace
  7. diablotwoplayerforlife

Comming here...

Valkyrie wing helm w/ 15% IAS jewel.

Cats eye amulet

Treachery in Archon plate

WF w/ no sockets / Faith GMB

No belt atm - couldn't get my hands on a razortail

Gore riders

Some crappy rare gloves, (Thinking about using lava gout, soul drainer, or something like that)

Raven frost for CBF + manald heal for ML (when using Faith, otherwise dual ravens)

Anni + torch in inventory. Merc is A5 wielding LW PB and Arreats Face. No armor, since I can't get my hands on a fort. His damage is downright bad as well.

Stats: I put the required in dex and strength and the rest into vitality. My damage is around 500-2500 with Might.
  8. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Use fort instead of treachery. If you're using strafe, you don't need a lot of ias to reach a reasonable BP. The 120 BP (or whatever it is) is graphical and doesn't actually improve your speed. You should also use highlord's, imo. You can put a faith on an A1 merc if you prefer fanat, as well.
  9. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Thank you! :)

Lets see then..

#1. Id swap your Valkyrie wings, for either a 2os "Giant Skull" or a Andariels Visage. Or the very rare 30frw/3os or 20frw/3os magic Circlet.

GS "lvl 65/106str req" - Knockback, str for gear, 2os(read 2x 30max jwls), crushing blow, nice defense.
    Andyface "lvl 83/102str req" - Lifesteal, IAS, str for gear. Can have 1 socket only.

#2. Cats eye. If you can/want to sacrifice the dex/frw for more dmg, you can always use highlords(Deadlystrike+IAS) or Atmas(%chance to cast Amplify Damage on strike)

#3. Treachery. Well.. Fade is nice, and the IAS is unbeatable. Dex is good too... But do you really think its the best armor for a Bowzon?
    There are several other choices.
    I like the runeword Fortitude. +300% enhanced dmg, huge defense bonuses with Chilling armor on struck. And life! And on top of that even some @res!
    Another, cheaper alternative would be the Duress runeword. Fhr/enhanced dmg/crushing blow!/open wounds!!/ nice resists.

#4. Razortail is a very popular belt, but not that expensive. Id go for that! dex/dmg/pierce! (To get that +100% pierce is a must sometimes!)
    Or use Nosferatus Coil, IAS/lifesteal/str.

#5. Gore riders works. But try either Sandstorm trek for the stats/fhr. Or Waterwalk dex/life. They work too, but Gores is nice aswell.

#6. Rare gloves with dual leech/IAS/Dex is the best! Ive got a 20IAS/knockback glove. Crafted ofc, but thats insanely rare so I dont recommend getting that at all.. especially not if you already got knockback from Windforce or Giant Skull.

Manasteal is very important to be able to spam Multishot. If you prefer strafe, lifesteal could be more important.
    Id aim for the gloves last, so youll know if you need the 20ias. otherwise you can get some with resists aswell!

There arent any real good unique gloves for this class though, but LoH(Laying of Hands) is a very good pair for any PHdmg dealer!
    20IAS/+50Fire resist aaaand.. +350% dmg to demons!!!!
    Which is insane!
    At least a third of your enemies would be demons, iirc. And all act bosses are demons! :) (it does indeed work after all ed/+max dmg has been calculated. so youll do +350% dmg as your char screen shows to demons.)

#7. Id get a dual leech ring. They dont need to be fancy, but life/mana steal will be your main goal for your rings. Ravens CBF is a must though. So aim for a high ar raven! 1dex = 5ar remember that!

#8. High stat anni+torch is important, dont mind the resists at first!

#9. The aura from an Act2 merc will aid you more. Mercs arent 100% necessary for this class, but if you want one, Id get a A2 merc using either holyfreeze or might. And get him tanky gear! Stone runeword works very well here, if you get some decent eth high str armor.

Stats!! Ive got enough str for gear, about 0 vita and 0 energy.

I can survive 2 hits, the third will kill me. But with knockback >90% chance to hit, lifesteal and some frw, I dont need more then the life Ill get from the gear! combined with a decent cta+crap spirit on switch.

+400 dex makes you a full offensive character. Why go life when you dont want to get hit anyway?
    If you want to get hit you wouldnt go for this build at all. :)

I dont remember my dmg atm, but Ill get back to you about that later today!

For charms, Id save every resist/dmg charm I could lay my hands on. But only fire/light. Ignore the other two entirely.

Peace and love
  10. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Oops.. This became a wall! :p
    Hope I made it readable and interesting at least...
  11. diablotwoplayerforlife

Regarding Highlords, is the deadly strike useful when I have maxed critical strike? I'm not too sure how it works.

@Archone I think a Freeze merc would be a downgrade, since I'll loose damage from not having Might, and damage is really the main problem with this bowazon. But I'll see if I can get my hands on a Fortitude DS, and swap cats eye with highlords. I really do not want to use strafe, I find multishot much more fun to use.

12. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

I believe they work differently, but only one of them can double your damage at a time. I don't remember the numbers but I'll make some assumptions:
    Let's say you have 60% crit chance from critical strike, and 30% from highlord's (more if you include gore riders). So we already know that at least 60% of the time you double damage, but for those times that you don't do double damage from CS, you have a 30% chance to do so with DS instead.

Total chance would be CS% + ((100-CS%) x DS%)). = 72%
    I believe. DS on highlord's increases per lvl, though, and your CS is actually larger than that but I wanted to use easier numbers.
  13. diablotwoplayerforlife

Alright I get it, so Highlords stacks with Critical strike, I'll swap cats eye with Highlords then, since I basically need as much DPS that I can get.
  14. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

I think pharphis is correct with his calculation. Items adds up accumulativethough , ie 30+15=45%

If this is true, which is probably the case, then Atma is a much better option. Amplify dmg increases your dmg by another 100%. And the deadly strikes will also be a 100% more powerful.
    As in using highlords will only increase your average dmg with a few percent.

Peace
  15. diablotwoplayerforlife

The problem with Atma is that the CtC amplify damage is low, and by the time it procs the monsters should be dead. I want to one-shot cows, I was expecting this to be possible since I've seen other amazons do it, but with my gear it seems impossible.
  16. bpward

bpward IncGamers Member

Go with strafezon, and use delerium helm with a brand bow. Razortail belt, IAS gloves, Treachery/Nigma/Fort all work for armor, depends on your charms and build style really- if you want teleport, IAS/poison or damage. War traveler's boots is a must for hidden damage bonus. Delerium could be swapped, but it makes defense a non-issue... delerium and strafe is really just unfair.

Faith Act 1 merc with delerium helm and treachery is good for defense/IAS/damage. Act 2 merc with Pride and Might aura, and helm/armor that gives him protection.

Some ideas... I had the Brand/Strafezon with delerium, and the Act 1 delerium merc and owned Hell last ladder... never tried cows though.
  17. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Site Pal

18. coju

coju IncGamers Member

And here I am having fun with a WWS bowa and none of these item's I've never seen! Good thing I killed her, because I'd have to now!
    I'm curious to see if Arch's and Phar's posts helped you, diablotowplayer!
  19. diablotwoplayerforlife

No, I'm sorry. The advises are really bad and misleading. Probably some of the worst I've read/seen for a good amount of time.

I've decided to stick with a pure light sorc for PvM and then make a bowazon for PvP instead.
  20. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Bow amas are not terrible. It is all about expectations. Elite Bows only have about 32 damage compared to ethereal two hand weapons which can have over 150 base dmg. And no skill based ed either. That's why you can look at the LCS and be dejected. However because of the ways in which this damage output is spread out ( strafe, multi shot, pierce ), you end up doing lots of area damage. Specially in areas with low hit point monsters like Pits, bowas can clear the screen faster than almost anything else.