Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Boston Marathon bombing - you read it here first!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jmervyn, Apr 19, 2013. | Replies: 88 | Views: 3388

1. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I really want to keep my "War!!" thread specific to the ChiCom "Yellow Menace" topic, so here's a nice clean thread where we can throw all the political mud we want.

The most recent report I've seen is that two Chechens, apparently brothers, were the culprits. One has been shot and died of his wounds, which supposedly included blast damage - it is possible grenades were thrown. This was after they killed an MIT campus cop and supposedly wounded another policeman. Sections of the somewhat upscale area where the other escaped are on police lock-down.

[​IMG]

Now, most people now understand that media reporting for ongoing investigations is going to be erratic and fault-prone, particularly in the modern n00z cycle, but there seems to be very little shame or consequences for them now.

<<MOST>> specifically, the mainstream media went out of it's way to speculate with malice and frame the TEA Party as being the likely bombers. Now, this is nothing new, and we saw the result even here. Not only do many on the Left actually admire, are friendly with, or even are allied to REAL terrorists, but they want to debase the word and don't like applying it correctly.

I find it more than a little disturbing that the mainstream Democrat Left are far more eager to blame their countrymen for horrific acts of violence like deliberately planting a bomb behind an eight-year-old child, than to place the blame where it most frequently and obviously rests. However, it goes hand-in-glove with the assumptions of the Left - they see those not agreeing with them as actually Evil, where on the "Right" we tend to think for the most part those on the Left are simply ignorant or stupid.
  2. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  3. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

4. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

5. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

The manhunt for the younger one (Dzhokhar) continues.

Supposedly the elder brother (a boxer) was the sincere Islamist, and the younger one his follower.

Their uncle held a news conference and is, well, as one might expect (video).

EDIT - Irony, anyone?

EDIT 2 - Napolitano decided to skip out on Schumer's Immigration bill hearings. Because, you know, optics.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  6. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

They got him.

and this is how everyone reacting

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  7. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  8. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

What I find dispiriting is that a number of folks are so disgusted with the state of judicial process that they find it preferable that the perpetrator in this case be shot to death during the arrest rather than for due process to take place - trial, appeal, repeat, etc ad nauseum - even though the end result, an executed/dead murderer, is largely similar.

For the purposes of full disclosure, I include myself in the group I refer to above. I'm not happy to do so, but with so many evils to evaluate, it's hard (as in, impossible) to work out which is the lesser.
  9. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Well the Cops in Boston handled it pretty well. If it had been the LAPD I'm sure this is what it would have looked like.
    [​IMG]
  10. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

"Suspect caught fire and burned during questioning."
  11. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Massachusetts has no death penalty. So I'll be interested in hearing how the citizenry feel. Already there are some trying to figure out a way around their own supposed morality.

Not sure which evil you refer to - the evil of vengefulness, or the evil of hypocrisy over the panty-waisted anti-death penalty attitude. There's nothing inherently evil about the death penalty; evil enters because it is often mis-applied. Deliberately placing a bomb behind an eight-year-old is obviously deserving of it, if anything is.
  12. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

ugh. That last link makes me sad. I'm glad they caught the guy, and surely he should get the book thrown at him, but all those people partying in the street because they caught him. It just doesn't sit well with me.

Also, (merv may want to sit down for this), but I'm not sure he did all this because he (the older brother) was a true beleiver in the islamist movement, or if he was just a miserable ******* that latched onto that movement. I guess it doesn't matter. In the end if he had ties or not, he's still blowing stuff up. Still, calling him an islamist terrorist seems a little pre-mature. He might have just been a crazy person like the sandyhook guy or the OK bombing guy.

But we'll see. maybe religion/politics did play a significant role and I'm wrong. No one really knows a lot yet.

Anyway, as to what to do with him, he's a citizen. You try him like a citizen. If the people of MA don't like that they should change the laws to suit them better. The law is about trying to establish justice and fairness. We should not change the rules willy nilly to suit our tastes. All citizens are entitled to due process. That's a defining characteristic of the US. To weasel around that is to change who we are, and I don't like that.
  13. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Steve is right. While part of me likes the idea of immediate justice, this isn't a situation that merits it.
  14. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

I think this is why super heroes are so popular in a way. They're able to go above the law to an extent and get vengence, and people are ok with it. However, like a few others have stated, there is a process criminals must go through before being convicted and made guilty. Innocent until proven otherwise and all that. Killing him before determining his guilt, motive, etc. is just vengeance, not justice. The victims and their families won't get anything out of another dead body. Especially if it's prematurely so and they don't even know for sure if it was his doing or not. He would've just been a dead person of interest.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  15. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Nope. It matters, and it matters quite a bit. When I get angsty I go buy a bottle of Jamesons and grumble about treasonous Leftists. You take a verbal crap on the Catholic Church and fap yourself raw about how much better you are than stupid Xians. Neither of us do more than think randomly about what a swell idea it would be to go plant improvised claymore mines at a public event, and in specificity neither of us would consider planting one of those mines behind an eight-year old. At least, I certainly wouldn't, and in your book I'm the same ethically as the bombers (insane religius zealot). I'm explicitly more capable of violence than you are, having been a professional in the past.
    It's not at all premature (the elder brother's interest was politics and Islam, as if they weren't the same thing) - he's as sane as you or I (the Sandy Hook punk notwithstanding). It takes a special kind of evil to consider blowing up children and innocents, yet Islamists do it as a matter of course. So do Leftists like Bill Ayers. That's what wrong with considering sociopathic behavior as being legitimate.

I mock Alex Jones, even when he's right (which he can be, as Ash has asserted), and I don't know of that many TEA Party people who are Jones devotees OR Birchers. The elder brother was a devotee of Sheikh Feiz, who would be the closest comparison. Neither Jones nor Birch advocate pipe bombs or slaughter of the non-combatants; Feiz and the other Islamists explicitly do, as does the Ayers/Dohrn crew - Obama's original hatchery, which he assures us is quiescent like Al Quaeda even as he parties with them.
    Then you should get used to it, because the side you defend against my railing is that of the same crapweasels of whom is famously said, "some animals are more equal than others".
    It granted Charles Bronson an undeserved acting career (though Bronson is a gentleman).

It is visceral. It is often right, true, and legitimate. However, it is animal, and prone to error - therefore it must be resisted.
    The problem occurs when we cross over from justice into the false construct of mercy. Mercy is for humans, not for a bureaucratic justice system - because when mercy becomes enshrined. it grants murderers like Ayers/Dohrn legitimacy, and makes animals like Mumia objects of admiration.

I don't doubt for a moment that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will immediately have a number of marriage proposals and book deals. The cop who Mumia shot in the back of the head, as well as the ones killed by Ayers/Dohrn's gang are almost completely unknown (I couldn't even find a list or link, and there were at least four).
  16. Glurin

Glurin IncGamers Member

Vengeance and justice are not mutually exclusive concepts. In fact, they often coincide. That said, it's good to know that you're exacting revenge on the right person.

Also, most super heroes are limited by their own sense of morality and often can't exact revenge on anybody. They just give the bad guy a wedgie and duct tape him to the top of a flagpole somewhere with a note that says "For the police." After all, if the villain dies, we wouldn't have a sequel. ;)
  17. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Thank you Captain Obvious.
    :D

P.S. Fed's (Specifically Eric Holder) can take over and seek the Death Penalty in Spite of MA not having it.

On a lighter note for all those that said it here as well, You know who you are

Glen Beck Gives Obama Till Monday to Admit Boston Bombing was Inside Job.

If he truly has any proof he's being a massive dick by not showing it.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  18. Glurin

Glurin IncGamers Member

That was a response to tougeznut, in case you couldn't tell. :p

On the video, I laughed when Alex Jones called it a "false flag op" and an inside job. Beck is someone I'm a heck of a lot more willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Say what you will about him, he does his research and backs up all his claims with good evidence, unlike Jones who spins up conspiracy theories out of almost nothing most of the time. Haven't looked into this one yet though, so that's all I'll say on the matter for now.
  19. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Sorry But I Could not resist.
    :D
    Yours what just the best straight line on the page for it.

In other thoughts I have to agree with this guy.

that shutting down the city was a mistake.

"It's telling that shortly after authorities lifted the "shelter-in-place" order, they had a major break in their manhunt. Allowed to venture outside, a Watertown resident saw something and said something. For more than a decade after 9/11, law enforcement officials and our government have made this mantra something more than part of our culture.
    And, lo and behold, it works when you allow it to.

While it certainly might have made sense to keep Watertown residents "safe" in their homes during the height of the week's post-MIT firefight, it made absolutely no sense to shut down the entire Boston metropolitan area, halt public transportation and cancel major sporting events because a seemingly malleable 19-year-old thug snuck outside a local/state police, FBI, ATF, Homeland Security -- you name the agency -- perimeter.
    Was this the plan authorities had in place when they rehearsed the unthinkable? Or did the sweeping decision come down on a relative whim when all hell broke loose in Watertown? If it did, that's understandable, but still not sensible"
  20. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

Okay, it matters if he had actual ties to some organization. But if they were on their own, then it's a bit different. Not that much is going to change. it's not like we're going to stop going after AQ if he doesn't have ties.

And yes, you're clearly more prone to and capable of violence. And it's not lost on me that you would not blow up kids. Our philosophical differences, while fun for internet debates, are mostly esoteric in comparison between either us us and the mindset that thinks that it is okay.

Well the narrative changes when we find out the why, but really, I don't think much else changes. It's a fine line between nut bar and "freedom" fighter. Perhaps a matter of perspective too. Either way though, he'll undoubtedly be found guilty (tons of video and still frame evidence, and they admitted it during the chase), and he'll take those reasons with him to jail. The only thing that really changes is the new narrative--and that's all spin anyway.

At the end of the day, it's illegal to blow people up. This is a good law, because no one wants to get blown up. I think MA should reconsider the death penalty, because there's no situation where I would suddenly say, yeah, let's let this guy back into society. Now they've got to feed the kid for another 60-70 years.

I missed that bit where it was assumed to be the tea party's fault. I heard that the allegations had been made, but didn't hear where or when or how often they were made. Was it widespread?

Bear with me, my only news source for the last few weeks has been radio in the car--mostly the conservative channel because the progressive one is just out of range of where I've been driving, and it stops at 9pm and turns into annoying dance music.

oh again with the sides. I'm on my own side. In fact, the "sides" is one of the biggest problems we have. That and the campaign financing issue.

Anyway, Animal farm is on my list of things to read. I know, I've been saying that forever.

It's not about mercy, and it's not about him. It's about us following our own rules. If we strip him of citizenship just to change venues so he can be killed, isn't that a victory for him? Isn't that granting him more importance than he really should have?