Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bored Games Thread...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BobCox2, Nov 20, 2013. | Replies: 52 | Views: 5992

1. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Multiquote start
    That looks fun Kris! Got to Wiki it

2. BipolarChemist

BipolarChemist IncGamers Site Pal

Played Ticket to Ride tonight! Some great fun! Had 4 people in a fairly public place. Simple, decently long and fun for all!

3. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I don't like Ticket to Ride, its so quiet, everyone just quietly does their own thing.

Last game I played was Settlers of Catan, we had to quit before finishing when someone needed to go, but since virtually every other game ends with me crushing my enemies, seeing them driven before me, and hearing the lamentation of the women, I assume that is what would've happened if we finished.

4. BipolarChemist

You haven't played Ticket to Ride properly then! We all yell at each other and call each other idiots. Especially when someone takes the card you wanted.

5. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Fridays is Poker night with the Neighbors for the wife and I, Anyone else?
    I used to play a lot of Uno.

Ticket to Ride looks fun.

Yelling and laughter is the way we play as well.

Curses have been cast at those taking the cards we want.
    LOL

6. BipolarChemist

I have a Board Games night on Friday with friends generally. This week there is an event my club holding at school. We have about 30 board games and people come and play and win prizes and eat food.

7. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

but there is no negotiation, no trickery or manipulation!

I also had a chance to play Dixit and that one was a lot of fun, looking to eventually get my own copy of it

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Should I correct the thread title?

The rules are simple and it doesn't need much strategy (but not none at all), so being 6 years old isn't a disadvantage. The name means "Don't become angry, man" and that's what you are going to say when one of your grandchildren becomes frustrated about an unlucky streak. Of course, when you are unlucky, you pretend to become angry, so they can lecture you in that manner.

9. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

As I said in the other thread, before I realised it was the other thread .... Greek Naval Warfare. Love that game.

10. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

The last board game I played was probably Monopoly. I say "probably" because it's been 10+ years and my memory is sketchy. My friends moved away in the early aughts and they all have (young, noisy, needy) [STRIKE]brats[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]kobolds[/STRIKE] children. It's often difficult to find a couple hours a week to play video games together on the damn internet. Actually getting together around an actual table? Forget it (at least for a few more years)! :D

If we did somehow manage to get together, we'd most likely play D&D instead of board games. We talk about it all the time but I don't see that happening in the near future. Oh well, I hear that Spoony's forum is a pretty good place to find RPG groups. I may just give it a shot after the new year.

They could market that in the U.S. as "UMad Bro?"

11. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

"It's a board game dear. People sit around a table and get bored."(Mildred Roper)

Bob, the game Krischan linked to is called Ludo in English I think. Well it is in the U.K. In Dutch it is trademarked as "mens erger je niet" which is the same as in German. It's not so much "don't become angry" as "don't get so wound up"

I haven't played a board game for a while.
    I live alone and don't have friends nearby.
    Yeah. I'm pathetic. Leo won't have it but I'm a boring old hag.

12. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

You might say board games are hobby for me. :)

[​IMG]

13. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

So which one did you last take off the shelf and play?
    :D

14. skullvomit

skullvomit IncGamers Member

Warhammer: Relic is the current game. Awesomness! Next step could be Arkham Horror :scratchchin:

15. BipolarChemist

Just played Flash Point the other night. It's a cooperative fire fighting game. The house fell down and killed us all :(

16. Pixie

Pixie IncGamers Member

Not sure what's brought about the resurgence of board games these last few years, or if I've only become recent to notice how popular some of them are. There's a boardgame cafe that (I think) only just recently opened down the way, that sort of rents playtime and space, knowledge of staff members, etc., where you can go in and pick a game to play and they'll teach you it. There's also another place on the same street that has boardgames + open space, but it's more of a bring-your-own-thingie, and doesn't charge for usage. A scifi/comic convention a couple weeks ago had half the upper floor for tabletop gaming + boardgames.

But it's a little weird to me still, because it's like you're getting into a medium for the sake of playing the medium, rather than playing a specific fun game within the genre? Like Munchkin + Cards against Humanity are sorta cool as drunken party distractions, Apples to Apples I liked too, but from here my reaction isn't "Oh, hey, better go try a zillion other -board games- until I find something I like, because oh boy boardgames!", it's more "Oh, that looks fun, let's try that" regardless of whether it's a board game or console/pc game. Particularly as video games get so much more marketing & exposure via the 'net, how do you determine which board games are worth picking up without having tried them already? Blind pick doesn't seem like a good consumer habit to maintain, and I don't expect there's anything like gameplay trailers or footage for video games is there? A bunch of people sitting around a table mulling stuff over doesn't exactly elicit maximum anticipation.

So I guess I'm wondering, why do you guys choose boardgames over something more accessible / connectible? How do you figure out which ones will likely suck or not? How do you even go about finding enough people to play whatever niche game you want to try once, much less on a regular basis? I don't really get it, like boardgames to me & everyone I know, were just something you played at whatever relative's house when you were 8 so you didn't tear down the walls.

17. BipolarChemist

Board Games have become more and more popular recently, especially in the College crowd. I guess it kinda i just coming about after the surge in online gaming. It's honestly just a great time when you can get a group of 6 or 7 people in a room scheming and having fun over a good board game.

Newer board games are becoming more and more clever. You have the popular ones like Settlers of Catan and Cards Against Humanity, which are always a pretty good time, drunk or sober, but then you have those smaller ones, that you don't see very often and are just a good or better than the popular ones.

A good example would be a game I recently got called Betrayal at the House on the Hill. It starts off as a cooperative game, where you investigate a haunted house, then a haunt happens and someone becomes a traitor. Then it's everyone else's jobs to defeat the traitor. It involves some fun scheming and cooperation and is all around such a fun time.

I have a group where we get together every couple of weeks and play Board Games for a night. We drink and make a small party out of it and it is always a good night. I'm also in University, so finding this crowd is much simpler, I guess. As for the accessibility, Board Games generally have some sort of learning curve, but I have always loved trying something new. They aren't cheap, but the amount of hours I have put into them, they are definitely worth it, but this may not be the case for many people.

They are kind of like video games in the sense that you wanna check it out before you buy it. Whether you can play through a friend, or watch a youtube video of it played online (I highly recommend Wil Wheaton's TableTop).

For me, personally, I've always played board games with my Dad and I haven't played any for a while, until about a year ago when I got back into them. Ever since I started, I just couldn't stop. My play group is at about 10 of us now, each of us having about 3 or 4 games, which we just choose from to play.

18. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

I play one or two a week, usually. Over the Thanksgiving break, I played a bunch of the simpler ones (Ticket to Ride, No Thanks, For Sale, Love Letter, Lemonade Stand, Flash Point).

As someone who owns Arkham Horror and nearly all of the expansions, I say skip Arkham Horror completely and play Eldritch Horror instead. I just finished my first play through of it yesterday and it's amazing how well they've managed to remove all the things about Arkham that I found annoying. It's so streamlined and flows so much smoother. I'm very impressed.

That's close to the truth, I think. I'm realizing that I enjoy the social aspect and interaction of playing board games with friends and family more than video games with anonymous strangers.

Board Game Geek is both the worst website ever created (design-wise), and is also by far the best resource for board gamers. It has pretty much every board game ever made listed, and includes photos, reviews, variants, rules discussions, etc.

If that's not your thing:

1) Will Wheaton does a board game play-through video series with various geek celebs called TableTop.
    2) Penny Arcade runs a very amusing review series called Shut Up & Sit Down.
    3) For straight-up reviews, Tom Vasel has more video reviews of games than pretty much anyone else on the planet. He also does podcasts.

For buying games, Cool Stuff Inc has better prices than anywhere else, even Amazon. I'm lucky enough to live within 20 minutes of them, so I can just pick my games up, but they'll even throw in free shipping on orders over $100. Miniature Market is also highly regarded and has some good deals.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  19. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Excellent Post Saro!

as always love your Blogs.

20. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Just sayin' -

Pandemic. Played with wife & son, just this T-day weekend. My God. I think we have yet to win a game, even on easy play.