Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

boots for summoner-Marrowwalk?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Monetoso, Mar 5, 2012. | Replies: 25 | Views: 8440

1. Monetoso

Monetoso IncGamers Member

boots for summoner-Marrowwalk?

Hi,
    I have recently restarted with D2 after more than 9 years and I am trying to build a summoner.
    I read several guides and most mentioned Marrowwalk as the boots of choice for this built. However, after getting one pair for free from a member of the UsWest LD forum, I can not fsee the big benefits of wearing these. The +2 to skeleton mastery increases life and damage of the skeletons by a mere 2-3% and the bonus to STR is of no use to me. What is left is the +17 to dex (in case I want to go for max block), but then Waterwalk would be a better option (+15 dex + 45-65 HP).
    I am afraid I am missing something and would really appreciate the advice of you guys!
  2. Volren

Volren IncGamers Member

Re: boots for summoner-Marrowwalk?

It really doesn't make much difference. From a pure 'max summon skills' standpoint Marrowwalk is the choice but summoners do just fine with 20/20 and only a handful of +skills. Wear any boots you want. Waterwalk is a nice budget option even if you don't want max block (+life), and War Traveler is preferred if you plan to mf a lot.
  3. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Yep, as the +skills don't have that much of an effect I never bothered with them myself. Pre-Enigma I used Aldur's (40FRW is nice) or WT for the MF, right now I'm using a pair of tri-res boots as my resists are a bit lacking. If you're going max block then Waterwalk is a fine choice.
  4. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

Well, the STR is of use to you, and everybody else. It means you can skip putting those points in str for gear reqs, and put them in vit instead, unless marrow walk are your highest str requirement item. (Which I suppose it could be)

On the low end of gear, I often go with nat's boots for the dual res + frw. For MF there's always WT obviously, or tri-res+frw+mf boots are money on the high end. Waterwalk has already been mentioned, and then there's sandstorms, which are pretty decent for basically every class.
  5. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

The problem with marrowwalks is that they are boneweave boots. So in many situations they could be the heaviest item you have and the str comes in no use at all.
  6. Ayf

Ayf IncGamers Member

I would just wear Marrowalk unless I need extra surviveabilty. And as a pure summoner I usually do not. And I don't think a summoner is a good choice for MFing, he's too slow for that.
    In any case you may put the boots on before summoning and change them after. If you have good gear it's quite rare to see melee skeletons fall so it might be worth to do so.
  7. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Summoners with Enigma are one of the most efficient, safest and versatile builds you can make...
  8. Monetoso

My necro has Enigma on a Mage Plate, so at level 80 he has enough str to wear the Marrow (about 135 str). With the bonus of +20 str he can reach 155, but for what? I don't think I need a Spirit to substitute the Homunculus. So, from my point of view is a +17 dex + 3% more skelly dmg against a nice boost to HP (waterwalk) or res (Natalya) or HP + res (Aldur's) or MF (war traveler). I know in the end it does not make a huge difference, but I like to get other's opinion.
  9. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

From my standpoint the extra strength bonus is normally wasted on a necromancer since in two of my own builds they were in fact the heaviest item that was to be worn. Theres only two real uses I see for the str bonus would be either for a spirit monarch instead of homunculus to reach a faster cast rate breakpoint (not really necessary on a summoner) or to be able to use spirit monarch on switch paired with a CTA for the additonal +skill.
  10. zaphodbrx

A case could be made that marrows provides the str required to wield a beast zerker axe, if you have only one beast. It also has level 33 bone prison, that's something I guess.
  11. Fluffyknowsyou

Fluffyknowsyou IncGamers Member

My summoner from the get go used Sandstorm treks for the bonus to str, vitality and faster hit recovery. There really is no right boots for a summoner since your goal is not to get hit. Though there is nothing for me to add at this point as the resistance thing was already addressed.
  12. Black Lotus

Black Lotus IncGamers Member

I was wondering about the same cause for two or three seasons. It doesnt really matter which boots you wear, difference is small. Basically, I would say any good tri-res boots will do since you cant get anything better from boot slot. I used to wear perfect marrowwalks for some reason, and there were no situation where I'd really needed them. +2 mastery doesnt make ANY sense at all unless you're doing some sort of pure revive/mages based build and I suppose you dont. +str and dex is nice but again, spirit is the best shield around and you dont want max block on it, and str from enigma/beast is usually enough too.
    20frw isnt that big (you have 45 from enigma though) and apart from useless 10% mana regen (insight ok?), marrows are pretty much random magic 20% frw boots without the second mod. Thus, marrowwalks are decent as poorman solution (like, if you are limited to homu, leorik as main weapon, vipers etc) but never good as endgame gear.
  13. Monetoso

Hi BlackLotus, could you give me an idea of your endgame setup in terms of gear, charms and mercenary setup? I would like to perfect my necro and possibly do the ubers with him.
    Thanks

14. Black Lotus

Main idea was to max fcr and safety. Skills doesnt matter much, I wouldnt get a single skiller charm or sacrifice safety and fcr for +skill gear. After that, maximize merc's dps.

My endgame setup of summoning necro during previous season was like that:

Beast/Spirit, CTA/Spirit on switch, leorik in inventory.
    Enigma, 2sk/20fcr tiara, 2sk/10fcr amulet, magefist, marrowwalks
    10fcr rings, arachnid mesh
    anni, torch, allres, life, mana charms.

I got used to marrows, but given the same choice again, I would switch marrows for any decent trires boots so I would have less allres charms in my inventory. Beast is just excellent and very-very stylish choice. Much more stylish than hoto, which is a bit of overkill with those 40fcr, allres and skills. Everything else is for fcr and safety as was already said.

Insight golem (I've made IG from pride at the end of season just for fun and to prove insight is better lol).

Merc is a different story. infinity+fortitude+andy's face is everyone's solution and I was fine with it. When ubering, duress and obedience seem to be better decision because infi will not work on mephisto, and duress' open wounds+crushing blow is just great. You may also prebuff your guy with treachery but thats too much swapping.
  15. Monetoso

Black Lotus, may I ask you were you put the additional skill points after the standard 20 skelly, 20 skelly mastery, 20 CE ? Thanks
  16. Black Lotus

I think it was golem mastery and skeleton mages. Golem mastery helps your golem to survive sometimes, especially when ubering, especially when its not insight in it :). Mages are useless but stylish, I like them. You can also use poison ones to prevent ubers from healing (thus no need in duress), but it is too unstable to rely on poison exclusively. Now I think I could have invested some points (say, those 20 which havent gotten into mages) in poison nova to do the same, havent tried though.
  17. zaphodbrx

Mages are quite useless, even at level 35 ( like I have on my summoner ).
    I respeced and put those points into bonewall to synergize my bone armor. Helps a lot while telebombing, and I sometimes bonewall/boneprison archers/gloams/frenzytaur.

As for OP, I suggest using marrowwalk anyway. Sure it doesn't do much, but that's still better than nothing. If you have your resists at an okay level and have str for it then you might as well have it.
  18. Monetoso

Is it really necessary to have Beast in order to kill the Ubers or I can still manage with an HoTO ? Thanks
  19. Black Lotus

I would advice against hoto on summoning necromancer, ever. +3 to corpse explosion is nice at the first glance but not crucial if you have already maxed it, and is of course useless in uberland. +10dex and replenish life are not very important. Other hoto's mods are simply a bit worse then what wizardspike can offer, and wizzy is 10 times cheaper. It does require some DEX and cant be ethereal as I remember, but it gives 35% more allres, 10% more fcr, a bit more (150+) mana and 15% mana regeneration, please prove me wrong if I am missing something.

Oh and my point was that you dont need any of those in uberland, except for maybe allres. Allres can be found on every possible gear type including charms, prebuff fade and trires boots, but fanaticism can only be found on hand slot.

Some might say summon necros can kill ubers naked and such (which might be true, I havent tried), so that beast isnt REALLY NECESSARY needed, beast is simply the most you can get from the hand slot when ubering, no more and no less.
  20. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

I disagree with your general sentiments with Hoto. It is an excellent weapon on a summoner. If you don't want to block, hoto + spirit hits the 75% breakpoint without any additional fcr gear, and that +3 applies to raising skeletons, ce, curses, bone armor, and so on. You can then load up with mf/gf gear or whatever else suits you.

I think it is more a matter of preference. If I were doing ubers without Beast I can certainly see advantages, but otherwise the extra res is only important to me at the beginning of the season and mana can be fixed with an insight golem or just potting more.