Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Board Games

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ash Housewares, Nov 29, 2012. | Replies: 37 | Views: 2238

1. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

oh man its coming up on the holiday season already

a friend of mine is really into board games and I'm trying to think up a good one to get him for Christmas and I thought the folks around here might have some ideas, he already has a bunch of games so its getting tricky to find ones he doesn't have

and maybe its an interesting enough subject people will just want to discuss it here before somehow hijacking things into political meltdowns

mostly I'm looking for board or card games, interesting party games, just fun stuff for 2-5 people

he already has

Settlers of Catan
    Ticket to Ride
    Pandemic
    Small World
    Munchkin
    and maybe a couple others I'm forgetting, but enough to get an idea what he's into

any thoughts or suggestions? anybody play any of the Cthulhu or Arkham Horror games?

2. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

3. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

go go go go

4. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch IncGamers Member

There is a Munchkin: Call of Cthulhu game of you wanna snag that for him. I love Munchkin. I haven't played in sooooooooooooooo long. :(

i have a friend who loves the **** out of board/card games. He's got an impressive collection. A few of my faves are:

Dixit. It's a card game and the cards have pictures on them (some of them really disturbing in an innocent way). A game of 4 or 5+ players, a cool, chilled, creative game. At the bottom of the page it tells you how to play. And I have bad humor, so this game partially allows me to express that. I like the artwork. Some of it is disturbing, but cool.

If you like ****ing people over, not only is Munchkin a good game for that, but so is Zombies!!! You are a character in a town full of zombies. First one to the helicopter wins. This game can go on for a really long time, but there are cards in here that you can screw people over with. And good for those into the whole ZOMBEEEEEE APOKALYTHSP IZ RAAAAAYYY-ING DOWN ON US!!!

This one I have not played. i've seen other people play it. Hazily, but still, it counts! Yggdrasill. for those who like a good strategy game and... possibly getting screwed, lol. but I guess it depends on which god you worship in the game.

If this person is or was into Farmville (or hell, you don't have to be. I am not and i enjoyed this game) here is Argicola! Pretty much you create your own farm, family, what not. It's sort of a strategy but not. you can def screw someone over in winning if you don't choose the right material. I think different materials/objects give you different points and they add up at the end of the game. 4 or more. duration just depends on how many and how fast you are. I liked it.

I am pretty sure I have played Dominion. When introduced to it, I was told this card game is similar to Magic the Gathering. Idk how true it is now that I know how to play it. This one was meh to okay.

Cards Against Humanity is a ****ing riot!! If you have ever played Apples to Apples, it's pretty much like that (same format) but with really ****ed up cards. Player lays down a black card (I think) and the card will say something like, "Name something you get after a first date." Now, if I had the card in my hand that said, "AIDS" I would lay down that card. But other people may throw down cards like "Ricky Martin's phone number" or "A carton full of rotten milk" (don't think those are actual cards) or something. This is Apples to Apples for adults... but even when I play Apples to Apples I try to make it as bad as possible. Category is Cruel and Unusual Punishment and i'll put down something like PeeWee's Playhouse or something. Have no idea if those are actual cards, but...

Hope this helps! Good luck!

edit: just remembered another card game. It's like the mafia games that are played around here but in card format. it's called Bang. Haven't played this one either, but there are different versions of mafia-card games. These also make really good drinking games. ;)

5. Ash Housewares

he mentioned the game Bang to me, it sounded interesting and I know he enjoyed it when he played

apples to apples always turns out evil anyway, so a game dedicated to making it evil makes sense, I was looking at one called "Crappy Birthday" which was sort of similar

Cosmic Encounters is one I've heard of, if you have some personal experiences with it to share then I'd be happy to hear

I tend to shy away from strategy games with this guy, he is the most deliberate and slow player ever, and 1v1 game like Go would make me tear my hair out playing with him, Stratego is already banned for similar reasons

6. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

{Dang, I tried to use the code to start it at the 50 second mark but it doesn't work...}

Besides, how cool is this?

P.S. my son has a couple of Fluxx card games; they're pretty fun and apparently can be played off each other like my old Illuminati.

7. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

I always enjoy this
    http://www.truusentruus.nl/images/fotos/Rozenkoning.jpg it's a mixture between luck and strategy, I'm lousy at strategy and not very lucky but sometimes I win anyways -

and this one:
    http://www.collecttolkien.com/images/Games/Games%20Board%20Fantasy%20FlightThe%20Hobbit%202001%20A.jpg

With beautiful illustrations from Ted Nasmith.

Both games are easy to play, without first having to read lengthy instructions, easy to get into and don't take hours.

"It's a board game love. People sit around a table and get bored" - Mildred Roper
    (that joke actually only works if you say it out loud)

8. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch IncGamers Member

I played Agricola with a guy like that. He would sit there for three minutes when it was his turn and debate in his head what material he should get, would it be worth it, would it make him closer to winning, "Well, if i don't get the bricks, then So-in-so will but So-in-so needs fencing o if I take the fences I can possibly make him lose." Like, the owner of Agricola who was guiding us and helping us along was like, "Okay, dude. I need you to go a little faster." It got to the point where he had to break out a timer.

9. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

That's still all to be prefered to playing with a friend of mine, who's a brilliant strategist (well anyone is compared to me I guess) and I kept losing and it was getting to me, it made me feel small and stupid. "One more time" he said. I lost again. He stared at me. "But I made it very easy for you this time!" he said.
    He obviously meant well but all that he got was that I felt even more useless and upset.

10. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

That's the best solution IMO. Strategic thinking can't be an open-ended process or the fun is destroyed.

11. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Did somebody say Cthulhu? I'm your huckleberry.

I have many years of experience with the RPG itself which is loads of fun (if you love the horror genre) and very easy to learn. For more info, just grab the free quickstart pdf or check out the forums over at yoggie. I digress though, you're asking for board and card games.

Arkham Horror: Really fun game but the rules are a bit daunting for newbies and a session can take a long time to complete (by board game standards). Also, it's a cooperative rather than competitive game. That may be a deal maker/breaker right there.

You might want to have a look at Mansions of Madness too. I've yet to pick it up so I can't tell you anything about it.

On the card game front there is also this. Like its out-of-print predecessor, Mythos, it's a CCG. Beautiful cards, fun game, but also a big cash sucker. To be honest, ALL of these recs are expensive. I think your wallet will like Leo's picks alot better. :D

12. Ash Housewares

if he wants to get into that, on his own head be it, I'm already stuck DMing the 4e game, if he wants to get the rpg going he can get it on his own

everything in the genre seems to have a lot of common threads

Mansions of Madness looks like Call of Cthulhu lite
    Elder Signs looks like Arkham Horror lite

figuring out what degree of complexity or difficulty to go for seems to be the trick here

13. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

I haven't heard of most of these. We do a lot of trivial pursuit, and good old fashioned sorry. sorry requires very very little skill or effort, and is easily converted into a drinking game--which makes it popular among my hooligan friends.

I can't get anyone to play monopoly or risk even, there's no way I'd get anyone to play a game like that illuminati one. it looks really cool, but no one is going to sit down and learn the rules. :(

14. PearlJamaholic

PearlJamaholic IncGamers Member

My 3 favorite board games are

Ticket To Ride
    Arkham Horror
    Small World

seeing how you have 2 of those already and since you have Pandemic listed if you can handle playing a Co-op game and losing at it 9 out of 10 times Arkham Horror shouldnt disappoint. The rules look more daunting that they really are, its a pretty straight forward game. Definitely one of those games that is easy to learn if you play it with people that know it already, but not hard to learn on your own either.

15. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Ouch! You have my sympathy. I picked up the core books and some friends and I tried it out. A week later those core books were resold and we went right back to 2E Revised.

I agree that an investment in the actual RPG should be his. I don't want to get too OT here, but one quick "pro" I'll point out is that CoC can be learned in an afternoon - it's very rules-lite compared to any version of D&D.

Your comparisons are dead-on accurate. :D

If it came down to choosing between Mansions of Madness, Elder Sign or Arkham Horror, I'd go with Arkham Horror without hesitation.

16. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

I used to play this regularly on weekends with a bunch of friends (when in my 20's and 30's) between AD&D sessions (1e - the only good one IMHO) and still get in 2-3 games a year with my brother-in-law and his kids when they come by (using the Mayfair version he has), tons of fun.

I'm not sure about the current version I pointed you to however as I played the original (Eon Games) version of the game and we only had the first 7 sets and did not use the Moons and Lucre. we used 3 alien powers each and 4-6 players.

In depth information on the game is here
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_Encounter

You can find the old version cards and such online and print them to make your own set and a online version of it exists as well I think?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  17. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Monopoly or Supremacy.

18. Technomancer

Technomancer IncGamers Member

For the last year, I've been rotating DMing a 4e game alongside a 2e game. It took a bit to wrap my head around all the changes they made, and was a little apprehensive at first, but I like it overall. It was an especially big jump for me because I totally stepped right over 3e, never touched it. 4e's condition tracking is masochistic, and I wouldn't play it exclusively, but it's a neat change of pace. I've even retrofitted a couple things into 2nd like casting a first level attack spell "at will" but it only doing damage as if level 1. At low levels, it's better than throwing darts all day! I've been trying to retrofit some of the ideas from the D&D Next playtest into both editions too.

As for board games, if you're both familiar with 4e, Castle Ravenloft and the others like it are pretty fun. I picked up CR a couple months ago, and liked it pretty well. It's like 4e Lite and can even be played solo. It's a bit pricey (in the $40+ range), but it has a LOT of stuff in it. Wizards has other newer (and cheaper) games like Dungeon Command and a re-release of the old game Dungeon!, but I've never played them.

19. Ash Housewares

I like 4e, at this point I'm intimately familiar with it, which is why I'd rather be playing, I know too much about the player classes and never get to use them. We had a bunch of people who were going from 2 to 4 so I did most of the study work to guide them through.

I skipped 3rd also, and I've got a friend who DMs an old school 1st/2nd homebrew, so I get to appreciate the differences between them

didnt try D&D Next but I got the download and read through, its pretty thin on features after looking at 15+ races and 30ish classes in 4e I will have to wait for more flavorful classes to entice me, in the experimental stage its too much of a step back, so I will wait until refinement comes, but this is what I expected for something in development

I've had a look at Castle Ravenloft but considering we play 4e there doesn't seem much cause to get a simpler version, especially when its the complexity that entices me

maybe Arkham Horror is the one that most appeals to me, I will just have to figure out if its the one that most appeals to my friend

and people don't play trivia games with me because they get bored of losing, my friend is definitely not a trivial pursuit type

as for Cosmic Encounters, I have a different friend who uses to play it 20 or so years ago too, and he's expressed an interest in playing it too, but its a bit on the pricey side

20. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Castle Ravenloft as board game?!