Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blood Ritual / Vampire Bats build

Discussion in 'Witch Doctor' started by z00t, Mar 26, 2012. | Replies: 6 | Views: 2784

1. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Blood Ritual / Vampire Bats build

The main idea is pretty much in the title :p.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aceZUj!ZbX!aZZZcY

A couple self-imposed restrictions to keep in mind for this build:
    1) Needs to have the Blood Ritual Passive
    2) Needs to have Firebats with the Vampire Bats rune
    3) Needs to be petless (I'd like to play the WD that way)

Other than those 3 points, feel free to offer suggestions on how this build could be improved. Below, I shall justify my choices:

Blood Ritual + Vampire Bats:
    I love Firebats, but one thing everyone knows is that it drains your mana FAST. I'm not a huge fan of things like Gruesome Feast because I prefer total consistency over needing to rely on luck, even if the odds are fairly good (because then I'll feel bad when I get unlucky). Blood Ritual and Vampire Bats have an interesting synergy - Blood Ritual helps ease the mana drain of Vampire Bats, and the Vampire Bats' lifesteal helps offset the health cost of Blood Ritual.

I'm not sure if the lifesteal will completely offset Blood Ritual's health cost, but it can at least mitigate it. Essentially, it's almost like getting the regular un-runed Firebats, but at a 15% cheaper cost to cast :p.

Poison Dart (Splinters)
    Because even with Blood Ritual and Spiritual Attunement, I'm pretty sure that Firebats is still going to drain my mana pretty quickly, and I'd need a fallback to let my mana recharge now and again during a fight. Poison Dart with the Splinters Rune is also a very nice boss-killer

Haunt (Resentful Spirit)
    Although the battlenet website doesn't display it, this rune changes Haunt to deal something like 287% weapon damage over 3 seconds. That's a really powerful single-target DoT with a quick turnaround time. If there's one thing that monsters like Tomb Guardians taught me, it's that sometimes there'll be high-priority targets at the back of the enemy mob, and that often, it's more effective if you had a way to directly assault it and deal with frontline enemy minions later. This is where Haunt comes in - its role is to let me quickly eliminate high-priority targets that may be shielded by other monsters (difficult to snipe with Poison Dart). Haunt + Poison Dart also lets me kill bosses and large frontline fatties like Unburied (Firebats shines against hordes of weaker enemies, not a small pack of large, tough badguys).

Grasp of the Dead (Unbreakable Grasp)
    Nice AoE snare to increase survivability (no pets, remember) and make Firebats more effective, as enemies will have an even harder time getting to you. I used to value the reduced cooldown rune more, but lately I've been seeing the value that an extra 20% slow would have, after seeing how fast certain Nightmarish monsters can move.

Spirit Walk (Healing Journey)
    My panic button. Or if I just want to top up my health for free inbetween fights.

I used to take the Jaunt rune. But then I thought: "what if my spirit walk gets ended prematurely because I took a lot of damage?" Spirit Walk with Jaunt could potentially last only 1 second (don't get any Rune effect bonus), but with Healing Journey, even if your walk got ended early, at least you get a little something extra out of it. I figure it also has good synergy with Blood Rites. I'm very open to suggestion on rune choice for this skill, though.

Mass Confusion (Paranoia)
    For tough fights.

Again, I'm very open to Rune choice suggestion here. I think that a lot of the runes for this skill are very effective for this build.

As for the Jungle Fortitude passive, that's just there so I'm a wee bit tougher, since I don't have any pets. I figure that I have good enough damage since I can cast Firebats for longer than other builds.
  2. WD pimpin summons

WD pimpin summons IncGamers Member

Re: Blood Ritual / Vampire Bats build

Definitely needs Soul Harvest.

It's like a free damage buff, since you are already melee with Vampire Bats. Might want to put Locusts there too, since it is also melee range.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  3. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

There is no build which can't be improved simply by adding 'moar damage'. :p

Unfortunately, there are only 6 skill slots, so EVERY build needs to make a tradeoff between damage and survivability.

Because I'm playing without pets, I feel like I really need all of Grasp of the Dead, Spirit Walk, and Mass Confusion.

Soul Harvest is not a bad spell, but it's not my style. Like I said, I'm big on consistency and Soul Harvest leads to these big pendulum swings of power. You feel great when you've got it up, but bad when you don't. Even though I've only had the small sample of the game that is the beta, I kinda get the sense that there will be many situations where it'll be disadvantageous for me to get close enough to use Soul Harvest (Firebats can be used at a safer range).

Even if I did like Soul Harvest though, what could I swap out for it? I'd have to swap out my only method of fighting without mana and good boss-killer (Poison Dart), my only RELIABLE method to attack high-priority targets at long range and single-target killer (Haunt), or any of my CC/survivability skills, which I'll need since I'm playing without pets.
  4. WD pimpin summons

WD pimpin summons IncGamers Member

Do you REALLY need defense?
  5. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

View attachment 1184 I'm just going to leave this here.

6. Horcsog

Horcsog IncGamers Member

If u have Blood Ritual, that means u can be drained to 1% or you can even die? Blood ritual would be great if it does not let your hp drop below 50%. If I have Blood Ritual and I keep spamming Hungry Bats I can kill myself with it?
  7. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

You'll definitely run out of mana before you run out of health :p. Blood Ritual only reduces the cost by 15%, so you're still paying quite a decent chunk of mana to use Firebats.

If you're at 10 health and you cast a spell with Blood Ritual then yes, maybe then you can die :p.