Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blizzard rushed Monk's development

Discussion in 'Monk' started by cozmiccc, Apr 13, 2012. | Replies: 18 | Views: 2835

1. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

Blizzard rushed Monk's development

What I found to be the biggest problem with monk is that almost all of his runeskills effects are boring and uninspired.... "What's that? +10 spirit when critical? lower spirit cost? increase dodge chance for no reason?" yawnn.... And the skill functionality doesn't change at all. Why can't we have it like WD where his rune can turn random frog swarm to a rain of toad or turn a zombie charger to zombie bear stampede...

Also we know that on one of the tradeshow demo Monk was the only one without runes effect implemented. It's pretty clear that Blizzard did Monk's rune last and rushed through it to meet the deadline. Sad but true... :(
  2. Cid

Cid IncGamers Member

Re: Blizzard rushed Monk's development

somehow i have to agree, the effects are lackluster.
    and, seriously, with all the delays they had more then enough time to do a better job.

i still enjoy playing the monk in the beta now and then though.
  3. cozmiccc

Yeah I enjoyed playing monk as well, and it really no balance issue or game-breaking anything. I'm sure that no matter how uninspired each runes made to be, Blizzard will do a good job on balancing it against other skills/runes effect by other class well...

I just wish that the effect are more flashy or unique, something that change the skill completely and present different use on different situation, just something that makes unlocking these runes to be more... fun :D
  4. WhiteGiant

WhiteGiant IncGamers Member

well i have to agree ; when the calculator was first announced we atleast had some interresting synergies and domino effect skills ; despite the fact that the monks always had the least skills and passives of all classes ;

with the latest 3-4 patches in which every rune and special-effect got streamlined most skills became awfully boring and uninspired

Mantras , might be powerful especially in groups ; but there is no depth to them and they are boring
    Serenity , Healing Breath and Inner Circle are awfully boring and uninspired
    Blinding Flash is just a weaker variety of Frostnova / Stomp

there is not enough depth in the combo system ; The only thing which currently supports multiple spirit spender is combination strike ; but sorry guys @ blizzard thats not enough for me ; even the assasin was deeper

Spirit Spender ; really the only skills which stuck out for me were Wave of Light and Seven Sided Strike ; as being "monkish"
    Wave of Light seemed rather weak to me, though atleast it looked cool ;

the rest of his skills are just worse less inspired varieties of skills which other classes already have.

that being said Monk went from my 1st. class to 4th. the Barbarian just seems better at everything which supposedly is "great" about the monk.
  5. cozmiccc

On another related note Monk is also left with the fewest number of skills, only 21 and even worse, 4 of them are just variation of mantra, compare that with Wizard who has 25 skills and only 3 variation of Armour. When all the skills and runes were announced I thought Blizzard was still working on the skills and that all classes will be given new skills until they all have 25... apparently I was wrong :S
  6. Torr

Torr IncGamers Member

I'm not going to dismiss your feelings, because everyone is entitled to their perspective on the class. But I always felt from the beginning that it would work out that the ranged classes would have better overall skills than the melee classes. I think they should have better skills, since they need to stay at range and can get into trouble when they get surrounded, as opposed to monks and barbs who thrive under those situations. Monks and barbs have skills built to make them last at close range, thier main attributes raise their armor/dodge, plus their armor will be geared towards survival. I also believe I read somewhere that they get an inherent damage resistance? It wouldn't be fair to give all of that survival advantage to the melee classes and also have the most dynamic skill sets in my opinion.

So I think monks should only be compared to barbs from a skill perspective. Having played them in the beta, I find that the barb can take a boatload of punishment, but his damage doesn't compare to monk damage. When I play the monk I'm a killing machine... when I play the barb everything seems much slower, he kills slower. But at the end of the battle he'll barely have a scratch because he is so tough. I really like alot of the monk's base skills over what the barb offers, and spirit doesn't degenerate. As for the runes... well they are just bonuses for the main skills. They don't change the skills, but then again the monk is not a wizard. Much of the barb's skills don't change the skill either... just the effectiveness. So I find the "uninspired runes" issue to be a melee thing. Classes like the wizard and WD need to have "lots of different spells".

For me, having played the beta for awhile now, the monk is by far my favorite class still. When I stop playing the monk and move to a different class... I just feel slower. I miss the action and movement.
  7. cozmiccc

I actually agree with you... but I'm not talking about OP stats or usefulness at all. I'm sure that Monk skills and runes will be viable compared to other class. Blizzard has proved their excellence on game balance, I don't doubt that at all.

What I'm saying is that Monk's rune effect are lackluster and uninspired. Blizzard said that most runes are going to fundamentally changes how the main skills function and its effect, but I don't see that at all. Instead of doing major changes or variety, most runes runs along the line of "+spirit regen" "+dodge chance" or "reduced spirit cost" You can't flat out say that those effect are not boring. And that against what Blizzard said they want runes to be...

If you look at any WD skills, their runeskills effect are more varied and diverse, it doesn't unbalance the game but just make it more..... fun, on the other hand Monk runes are looking like Blizzard running out of ideas... or rushed.

8. Snerra

Snerra IncGamers Member

I agree a hundred percent. Actually, one of the things that bothered me after playing the beta was how similar the monk's primary skills are - in practice, I barely noticed a difference between fists of thunder, deadly reach and crippling wave. I haven't tried the thunder clap rune yet, though, so that may change things.

I miss some skills that change your play style. I would love to see i.e. deadly reach be an actual ranged attack (with slightly lower dmg than the melee skills and maybe only medium range).

A few skills seem plain useless: Tempest rush and wave of light, mainly.

- Tempest rush does very little damage, slows for only 2 sec, and is channelled; so when are you going to deal damage? The runes don't even improve it by much.

- Wave of Light: 75 spirit cost is too much imo. Lashing Tail Kick at 30 spirit makes the skill pretty redundant. 2 kicks do more damage and is still cheaper.

Well, there's still a lot we haven't seen and tried, so maybe it's not as bad as we think..
  9. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt until I get to play with the Monk in the full version of the game.

Sometimes, Runes which seemingly sound not-too-exciting have a much more fun impact than you would imagine (the Thunderclap rune for Fists of Thunder is totally this for me).

Also, keep in mind, while the WD may have some 'funky' rune effects (Snake to the Face, for instance), sometimes they are just there 'for fun' and actually aren't very good, gameplay-wise. The Monk, I find, has more consistently-useful Rune effects, even if some of them may not be as outlandish.

@Snerra - Tempest Rush's main purpose isn't to damage (that's just a nice bonus), it's mainly there as a mobility/utility skill. I actually do find it incredibly useful. When there's a massive wall of skeletons protecting a Tomb Guardian, I can just Tempest Rush through the mob and easily take out the guys at the back. Dashing Strike serves a similar purpose though, so I usually only take one of the two. Tempest Rush can be better than Dashing Strike because of Dashing Strike's limited range and the fact that you yourself are rooted with a short animation after performing that skill - it makes Tempest Rush better for manuevering over a longer distance, I feel.
  10. Chimera

Chimera IncGamers Member

The monk has potential to be incredible with a few simple changes. My biggest concern about the monk is the combo system and how restrictive it is. For almost any testable spirit spender you can't do generator lvl 1 > spirit spender -> generator lvl 2 since the animations are to long. My suggestions allow this simple sequence to be possible as well as more elaborate ones. I also have a few ideas on how the dash could be more useful and interesting. In the linked thread I go into great detail on how the monk could be improved. In the current form I'll probably pass on D3.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4079621943
  11. Torr

Torr IncGamers Member

I don't like the idea of a delay after Dashing Strike, because the whole point of the 1 second root (I thought) was to give us a chance to land a few quick combinations on a ranged opponent before they attempt to kite. I haven't payed as much attention to it as I have been trying out different classes lately to get a feel for what each one does, but I don't like the idea of that at all. So I'm totally with you there.

As for the generator>spender>generator mechanic, I always thought it was a deliberate design decision by Blizzard. From the beginning, I never thought animation cancelling would make it to release. I think they are saying "if you want the third part of the generator combo, then you have to be committed to it"; in other words, generator>generator>generator is the main way to get the third hit payoff. I do believe speed of weapons and IAS affect the speed of your animations, so that may be one way to get around it.

I guess in the end there are 2 ways to look at it. You look at it as a bad design decision, that they should give advanced players more freedom to either cancel animations or avoid animation delay through some other means (other than attack speed). The other side they may be looking at, is that their way forces a player to make some tough pro-con decisions about combat: Do you commit to the generator, or do you break it up with a spender? Is there an attack speed breakpoint where you can continue a generator chain after a spender? Does blizzard even want this to be possible?

I'm not against your ideas because they could add an interesting dynamic to the monk, but I'm not sure it's what Blizz wants. I certainly wouldn't pass on D3 because of this if I were you... though that's your decision.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  12. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

I doubt the Monk was anymore "rushed" than the other classes, they just seemed to have taken a different approach with him. Whatever the case, gotta agree that this left him feeling screwed on both skill-quantity and rune-creativity. Also, the 6-skill limit (which is too low, IMO) made the idea of true multi-skill combos very impractical, unfortunately.
  13. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

I'm not the fan of the delay as well, because I am essentially rooting MYSELF after using Dashing Strike, which is a noticeable weakness.

Honestly, I think that the delay was put in there for PvP reasons. Skills like the Wizard's teleport has a cooldown, but Dashing Strike is limited only by your Spirit. And if you have that Rune which reduces the spirit cost to 10, and that passive which increases your total Spirit to 200, you could be rooting multiple opponents for a total of 20 seconds :p.

And in PvM, the self-root is a small price to pay for the skill's power :). Plus, it makes Tempest Rush more attractive in certain situations.

14. cozmiccc

I wonder if it's really that HARD to add another one or two skills for Monk, at least bring it closer to other classes' average especially considering that we have 4 redundant mantra skills that can't be taken together.

I remember reading from Flux report where he played a game build, in it Monk was the only class with no rune skills implemented so he get his number inflated to compensate. To me that's enough evidence that Monk was developed last and likely received the worst rushed treatment as Blizzard need to lock down design as soon as possible.

From that story my feeling is that we're going to have Monk that's competitive as he get favourable number and Blizzard's excellent balancing treatment. But the downside is Monk has less diversity and rune varieties, pretty much a simple and effective style.
  15. mr punk

mr punk IncGamers Member

i agree. overall, i think melee combat looks pretty uninteresting and repetitive. i think Blizz missed out on an opportunity to improve it. although, i think it needs just a little more polish. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a game that has some interesting combat ideas.
    [video=youtube;IU4_FKd8uy0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU4_FKd8uy0&feature=plcp&context=C44e1db2V DvjVQa1PpcFMZfRI_IJTT_C1cE7XPcGS1U2ZJ5ZaIpRY=[/video]

16. Chimera

Chimera IncGamers Member

Torr: That is a fair assessment. However, the Diablo team said for quite some time that they want to encourage skill use. They didn't want Diablo 3 to have a similar skill system as Diablo 2 where you used essentially one skill to do everything (orb sorc, smiter, whirl wind, lightning javazon, etc...). I interpreted this message as they wanted all skills to be viable in theory and the user to use a variety of skills in each encounter. If Blizzard did intend for the combo system to only refer spirit generators, then it would seem they are going against what they originally wanted. The current system discourages the mix of generators and spirit spenders which is interesting since you need spirit to use the spenders. I might still consider getting D3, but unlikely at launch. Most of my enjoyment from the diablo series can from dueling(not griefing).

Compare the feel of the 2009 monk footage to the current released promotional video. The old footage looks much faster and smoother to me. Even the quantity of enemies looks better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31VpcWV2R9E (2009 footage)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVPakGBUKEQ (old footage, but current promotional video)

In a sense the game has some animation canceling. If you have the beta equip fist of thunder and lashing tail kick. Find a unburied(or any larger monster that isn't a boss) if you time the unburied's attack correctly you will knock it back slightly and interrupt the monsters attack. This also works with stuns. Once you get the cadence down you can easily do 1 or 2 strikes with fist of thunder and follow with the kick creating a loop until your spirit is depleted or the monster is out of range.

Mr Punk: I haven't heard of that game, but it does look like combos are interesting. Another combo system that is interesting is the combo system in magicka. In magicka you create your own spells as well as use selected sequences to create powerful magicks.
  17. Torr

Torr IncGamers Member

I don't want this to be a "one skill to do everything" game any more than you do. I just think that there may be a big difference between what we see now in the beta and our level 60 monk. What I'm hoping is that with leveling, better, faster weapons with IAS, and movement speed item buffs at end game will make our monk look more like your old footage in the end.

As for the animation cancelling, I may be misunderstanding you but are you talking about cancelling the animations of others? Because I fully expect to be able to interrupt animations, and for others to interrupt my animations. I was mainly referring to having the ability to interrupt our own animations (to get to the next part of the chain or a spender), which I'm not expecting.

I feel like the 2009 footage was staged a bit (powerful monk versus weaker enemies), but I do get what you are trying to say about the monk maybe losing it's way thematically and getting pushed out the door. I don't want to sound like the fanboy always defending Blizzard... I guess I'm just trying to get across why I personally still feel like the game has alot of promise and still look forward to it.
  18. lolskate

lolskate IncGamers Member

Initially my first character was going to be a monk but following some in depth diablo 'research' this is no longer the case. I love the concept of the class: Martial artist with combos sounds awesome on paper but to me the implementation appears to fall short of awesomeness.

Having looked extensively at all the classes I would have to agree that the monk seems rushed: He has fewer active and passive skills, comparatively bland runes, clunky unpolished weapon animation (weapons teleporting between back and hands) and whereas all other classes have interesting and fun high level skills, monks get four mantras that are nothing more than buffs.

So now I will likely be rolling wizard, demon hunter, barbarian, monk and lastly witch doctor.
  19. bighandxyz

bighandxyz IncGamers Member

well, monk has no wep animation. broken/glitched spells, weird design (the only class without "powerup" cooldown), and the only class with all non-scaling heal. And it wasn't until very recently Blizzard decides monk's spells are overlapping and lacking senders that they scrap exploding palm and SW and put them as senders

Monk also have very boring mantras, with a very boring activating effects. They should've been more imaginative with mantras and its activating abilities, instead of refreshing only double mantra's effect.

They could've make it so refreshing mantra fires holybolt in all direction, summons a guardian, meditates monks to drastically increase healing but unable to move/attack etc... Cause right now mantra are really just nice passives

It feels like Blizzard just don't know what to do with monk.