Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Blizzard Adds Explanation on Diablo 3 Auction House Shutdown

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Market & Economy Discussion Forum' started by Hound, Sep 20, 2013. | Replies: 33 | Views: 11609

1. Hound

Hound IncGamers News Service

While the majority seem solidly in favor of the Diablo 3 Auction House Shutdown, plenty of players are upset by the change. Lylirra tried to pacify some of the complaints with a lengthy post that explains more of the logic and reasoning behind the decision.

I believe Josh noted this in the video, but making the call to remove the gold and real-money auction house wasn't easy--and it certainly wasn't done in a vacuum. On the one hand, we invested a lot of time and resources into the development of the auction house system, and (for all intents and purposes) the auction houses achieved the goals we originally set for them when they were implemented. We also knew that many players appreciated if not outright enjoyed using the feature, be it because they worked long days and didn't always have time to farm, because they liked having a convenient way to sell off unneeded goods, or because they had fun "playing" the AH economy. These were all things we considered and debated heavily. (Keep in mind that we actually evaluated different options that would allow us to preserve the auction houses and just diminish their temptation. This was initially one of the big goals of Loot 2.0.)

On the other hand, it's become increasingly clear that despite the benefits the auction houses provide, they ultimately undermine Diablo's core gameplay and warp our ability to deliver a great in-game experience. A big part of Diablo is the thrill of battling demons and finding epic loot. While buying epic loot in the auction houses might be more convenient, it doesn't feel anywhere near as heroic as plowing through a pack of fearsome-looking monsters and having them drop that one awesome item that seems like it was made for your character.

Removing the auction houses is only one part of the equation, though. The other is Loot 2.0, which is aimed at making playing the game the best and most satisfying way to get items. This system focuses on better loot drops, targeted loot drops, and giving players additional ways to customize their items. We feel that these improvements, along with the removal of the auction houses, will improve the overall gameplay experience for all of our players and help address the initial loot concerns voiced by our community.

Now, we still have a lot of <a href="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9972178022?page=2#30">technical and mechanical details to work out</a>, but we'll be sharing all that info once it's available.

TL;DR: The decision to remove the gold and real-money auction house wasn't about validating "self-found" or invalidating those who enjoyed using the auction house. That's a very binary way of looking at things, and I would sincerely encourage players to avoid falling into the whole "we win/you lose" trap. Locking this up.[source]https://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10014081399?page=3#52[/source]

I've been surprised by the vote results; both by such strong approval of the shutdown of the Auction House (like air travel and public toilets, everyone uses them but no one likes them?) and by how few players predicated their approval with, "But this all really depends on how Loot 2.0 and other systems fill the gap!" A few people have voiced that opinion in comments and the forums, but it's only at 5% in our AH shutdown vote.

So do 73% of you guys trust Blizzard to fill the AH gap with awesome new systems, or do you just hate the AH so much that you don't even care what happens after it's gone?

<p style="text-align: center;">[poll id="106"]</p>
    <p><code><br/></code></p>
  2. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

The reason is;
    If loot 2.0 fails, then it hardly matters if AH is around or not. The game would have failed anyway.

As such, there is no reason to wait and see how 2.0 is.
    Having AH is not a backup plan.
  3. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

For me it\'s more like a public toilet. Sometimes it doesn\'t really feels like a matter of choice...

If if loot 2.0 crashes and burns I wouldn\'s mind. Mystic + smart drops + time is good enough to fill the gap, imo.

On hardcore, it can create some issues and roadblocks if loot 2.0 fails, since you can\'t just die and farm easier content.

I could use some stash tabs... (Like, 20.)
  4. Tubelectric

Tubelectric IncGamers Member

The reason i selected \"mildly agree\" is because i do trust blizzard, but not blindly and still need more details. Depending on how loot 2.0 does, this decision is gonna be either supported or hated.
  5. Rastan9

Rastan9 IncGamers Member

I also chose mildly agree. I always liked the gold AH and didn\'t care one way or the other about the RMAH. Without an AH, I assume I\'ll use the forums here or just go self found. Definitely never going to wade through the blizzard forums or a trade channel ever again.
  6. DownfallX

DownfallX IncGamers Member

the idea is that person would then create a wizard or witch doctor later to use the item.

shared stash :D
  7. MindGeyser

MindGeyser IncGamers Member

Prediction: We\'ll find that the AH wasn\'t really the problem, only exacerbated it, then a lot of people will want it back in some form because of the problems it did solve.

We got a preview of this the last time the AH was down.
  8. Galtrovan

Galtrovan IncGamers Member

While the RMAH is BS, the GAH isn\'t the problem. The problem is the item drop rates, the radomization of item affixes, and items purchased from the GAH not being acount-bound. Fix these issues, there will not be a problem with the GAH.

Being religated to trade forums, trade chat spam, and named trading games after experiencing a trading system that would have worked had it been implemented properly from the beginning... is unacceptable to me.
  9. craezyjim

craezyjim IncGamers Member

Removal of the ah means much less participation in the d3 economy. The ah is very efficient at transferring goods to the people who wanted them and reducing waste. It also gave gold value.

I am not sure why it is being completely removed. Remove the rmah, yes. But why not just modify the way the ah works to make it much less efficient but still an option? Make the transaction fee 50%, make ah items boa after purchase, reduce listing slots greatly, make best gear boa, etc.
    I don\'t want to go back to wts, wug, wuw... and I want to have a meaningful in game currency that doesnt take up inventory space.
  10. trocadero

trocadero IncGamers Member

Question for console folks. It seems people are gearing up super fast in the console; so what are your plans for that gear? How\'s console brawling? Is PSN matchmaking good? Does the controller make PvP shine? I\'ve seen numbers showing DPS going through the roof, but EHP gains are more modest. Is PvP even more one shot on console, or does the ninja roll make it last longer?
  11. TheDestructor

TheDestructor IncGamers Member

AH will always outpace the items you find in the game. Simple law of averages, 2 million people have a better chance of finding better loot than your \"measly\" 2k hours. No amount of itemization improvements would magically fix this issue.
  12. TheDestructor

lol Great analogy.
  13. bloat

bloat IncGamers Member

But the crappy drop rates are BECAUSE of the existence of the RMAH and GAH.

Granted the affixes and itemization of things sucks, but Loot 2.0 is supposed to fix this.
  14. Tigerpaw

Tigerpaw IncGamers Member

For me, the whole point of playing the game is to find loot...that\'s why I played the first Diablo, that\'s why I played Diablo II, add in any number of similar style games (Titan Quest, Sacreds, Champions of Norath on console..), and even though drop rates and item quality are still subpar I\'m still playing Diablo III. The very few times I used the auction house to gear up my softcore characters, it felt like cheating. I love the thrill of finding new items, especially Legendaries (unless it\'s another crappy Monk helm...please, no more of them...) – and the mechanics of Leg/Set items dropping is fantastic too!

The AH was clearly a significant factor affecting item drops and item quality...with them gone, it removes a major obstacle to making item drops better. Granted the items themselves have to improve as well, but it seems clear that the current dev leadership is really trying to work that out as well.

TLDR: games like Diablo are as simple as the \"Kill, reward\" formula...with no AH, we\'ll finally have a better chance to get the \"reward!\"
  15. MengNa

MengNa Banned

I believe that as long as trading is still possible that the removal of the AH is a mistake. Adding an inconvenience isn\'t a good design decision IMHO.
    Just fixing the loot and using more account binding would have resolved most of the issues people perceived as stemming from the AH.
    No AH didn\'t stop anyone from trading is D2, and in fact trading was the only way to get the best loot in D2 as well.
    If after loot 2.0 you still need to trade to get the best items, people will still do it. If they really thought that trading is detrimental to the game they would have removed it completely from the game, and I would have respected them for sticking to their principles.
    This just reeks of the new design team leadership trying to curry favor with the playerbase by reversing unpopular decision made by the previous leadership. And I dislike these shenanigans...
    I hate to imagine what a nightmare commodity trading will be after this... Not to mention that this will most likely completely devalue gold and cause some other form of currency a la SOJ to emerge.
  16. craezyjim

craezyjim IncGamers Member

Great analogy? So you would prefer public toilets did not exist? Wouldn\'t a better idea be to improve the maintenance on the toilet? Instead you have no toilet and must crap your pants...

So yeah, good analogy. Public toilets are disgusting but serve a purpose. Don\'t ban public toilets just because you don\'t like them. Fix what is wrong with the toilet instead.
  17. yanksfan627

yanksfan627 IncGamers Member

Well looks like the skeezy third party companies that sell shit get the win here.
    Blizzard should keep the real money auction house so that people, if wanting to purchase items, have a legitimate place to go.
  18. Flux

Flux Administrator

None of the guys I\'ve talked to on console podcasts had done any pvp yet. Certainly not doing it online, since hacked items are spreading wildly through the console community, so all legit players are afraid to do any public gaming/pvp.

That aside, I think console players find brawling as irrelevant as PC players do, and they\'re waiting for a real pvp system just like their forebears.
  19. TheDestructor

No, it\'s just more efficient to use the public toilet than crap your pants, so you go ahead and use it even though it makes you feel gross.
  20. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

I\'m still waiting for the digital download of D3 for the Xbox360 which will apparently become available October 3rd. I will not be playing online at all since I would expect cheating which would majorly taint my self found experience.

Since gold got hacked on the pc \'online only\' version which is meant to mean that all your gear is \'legit\' I believe that its become a fair cop to state that any players who use the gah have had their characters considerably tainted.

The online only anti cheat strategy has failed, and failed miserably. Now trading has just become a means to spread the cheating taint across the whole community just like duping and trading together did in D2. The only means to avoid the stench of being tainted by the use of trading is to proclaim your gaming objectives as being either self found or play only with friends. Amen.