Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Blaming Video Games

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Module88, Jul 26, 2006. | Replies: 73 | Views: 1796

1. Module88

Module88 IncGamers Member

Blaming Video Games

The other thread brought this up, so props to Road. We've all heard the stories- people who blame video games and say that they saw X in a game so they thought it was ok or whatever. What do you guys think? Is that an acceptable excuse? Do you think it's true/probable? Is it an acceptable defense?
  2. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Maybe for younger kids that are playing GTA games. But you have to ask yourself how did these kids get hold of these games? Parents too cheap to hire a baby sitter so they buy a $50 game hoping it would keep their kids out of trouble? I however don't think there is any acceptable excuse. Even at the age of 12, I understood what death meant.

PS: I advocate parents hit their kids more. :) This would keep kids out of trouble. Not beating a child, but spanking.
  3. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

I saw a dog banging another dog so I want to be a pimp. I want to beat ho's, deal drugs and generally be scum of the earth. Dont' blame me, the dog made me do it.
  4. Module88

It works in the courts sometimes, believe it or not.
  5. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Hahah. One can also argue that they saw 24 and now want to hurt scums of the earth. Don't blame them. Blame Jack Bauer.
  6. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Sure, blame Jack. You don't even know Jack! Mine's a better comparison anyway. It offends the sensitive
  7. Talga Vasternich

Talga Vasternich IncGamers Member

To answer your questions in order:
    I try not to, it keeps me out of trouble.
    No.
    Yes/yes.
    Only for the truly stupid.
  8. Veilside

Veilside IncGamers Member

games are an easy scapegoat, they're a lot more violent than films and the general public know absolutely nothing about them except what's written in the media. i think that if someone tries to use videogames as an excuse for commiting a crime they deserve castration via a rusty spoon, that'll soon make people stop. games CANNOT teach someone to handle and shoot a gun though they may desensitise someone to violence, especially if played at a very young age.
  9. bladesyz

bladesyz IncGamers Member

Games are an easy scapegoat because there's no powerful lobby industry to defend video games.

If you made the same comment about movies or hip-hop music, you get a ton of celebrities coming out against it. Meanwhile, the only people coming out to defend video games are internet forumites and webcomic artists.
  10. Veilside

and the countless developing and distributing companies along with the vast majority of gaming fans.
  11. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

I'm so proud of you son, you've made your old man so happy. You'll grow up to make a fine evil conservative warmongering capitalist pig one day.:thumbsup:
  12. Veilside

oh man, killing the russians in No One Lives Forever 2 with napalm bullets that set them alight while they direct cries of "die you capitalist pig" at you is one of the greatest joys in videogaming. i have absolutely no problem with capitalists, and humans are as much subject to survival of the fittest as any other creature.
  13. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Murder was around long before guns, games, or rap music.

But personal responsibility is out the window in today's world, so they have to blame their actions on something.
  14. Module88

But the arguement is that violent games increase violence in children and give them the impression that doing such things is ok. It's not that video games cause murder, but rather, they increase the amount of murders happening because they shape individuals to become more violent.
  15. bladesyz

bladesyz IncGamers Member

when did Blizzard ever defend Take Two, for example?

Since when does the opinion of gaming fans matter?
  16. Veilside

hence why the ratings need to made legal requirements in the countries where they aren't already and why parents need to be held accountable for young children having access to these games.
  17. Module88

So I wouldn't be play to play counterstrike until I was 18 or so? Lame.
  18. oscarmk1

oscarmk1 IncGamers Member

Hell no, that's just stupid, and for mentally challenged people if you ask me. Even at age 1 you can understand that death is well death...
  19. Veilside

lame maybe but it'd help stop all those bloody moronic parents from milking the video games industry for their faults in raising their child. In england we have BBFC certificates on some games, it is illegal to sell an 18 rated game to anyone aged 18 or younger, so, if a parent chooses to buy that game for a 12 or 13 year old child, any resulting problems are entirely the parents fault.
  20. oscarmk1

oscarmk1 IncGamers Member

Erm you do realize that doesn't make much sense right?, i mean they don't cause murder but they increase the murders ohh i wonder why.