Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bioshock Infinite...just...incredible... (spoiler-free)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lazer LXXVII, Apr 22, 2013. | Replies: 4 | Views: 743

1. Lazer LXXVII

Lazer LXXVII IncGamers Member

I beat it and my brain...it hurts.

Never have I experienced this good of story in a videogame before. All 6-7 or however many years of development really shine through, especially during the ending.
  2. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

Spoony has another perspective...

3. Lazer LXXVII

I'm not going to watch all 90 minutes of the video ;) but after the bit that I saw, to each their own. I thought Bioshock 1 was excellent, but a bit overrated. Bioshock 2 was just a more polished version of Bioshock 1 but the story was less exciting. Bioshock Infinite is the first game that I absolutely loved in the series, and possibly in my top five of all time.

I just don't feel like disagreeing with each of his points, but I really think, honestly, this guy is digging deep to find complaints just to make a review that disagrees with the majority of people to get noticed. He is nitpicking like crazy when I skip through the video, nitpicking at things that he is wrong about...kind of voids his opinion to me lol.

My thoughts though, the gameplay isn't flawless or anything spectacular, and it isn't really anything new either, but it is extremely fluid and well crafted. The atmosphere is incredible and very few games compare to it. I normally don't care about exploring worlds in games, I really could care less, but this game hooked me by the mystery of this utopia world Columbia, the background of the strange religious cult, the origins of all this. The game really felt alive from start to finish. The plot was top notch too, it just really captured a theme that usually makes for good stories (whether its movies, books, games, whatever). The pacing was a little off though, the first 1/3 of the game felt like an intro, the middle 1/3 felt like your typical buildup story, and then the last 1/3 it feels like they just forced all of this information on you way too quickly, and then the actual finale is like 20-30 minutes of too much information. Almost feels like this game had a 30 hour plot that was smashed into a 15 hour game.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  4. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

For artsy types, it only takes a thing or two to ruin everything. But they're big roadblocks.

So tell me, which part did you absolutely love: A father rescuing his precious daughter, or that same guy slaughtering fathers endlessly and ruining the lives of hundreds of daughters? Why exactly is this one daughter superior to the hundreds of others and worth so many agonizing deaths? I'm confused. Something is wrong here. Fluffy family values upheld by a torturer.

Spoony didn't mention that, but it stems from his main complaint: you can't have profound philosophy and intelligent storytelling mixed with ripping open guys' faces with jagged saws. They don't jive well. I'm not against gore; it just doesn't belong on Schrodinger's chalkboard.

Ah, like so many others, these companies are desperate to hit every nail, maximizing the audience at any cost.
  5. Lazer LXXVII

Well those are pretty serious spoilers lol

Throughout the entire game you're just rescuing one girl to "wash away your debts", it isn't clear what debts or who this girl is, you just know that his goal is to bring the girl back. Clearly the main character had memory issues, but the fact that he wanted to wipe his debts so badly, despite not knowing what they were throughout the entire game because he was in denial for 20 years or whatever, so his goal was just to get the girl. It was already known that he is a violent man for the wars that he served in. Toward the end is when the whole daughter thing is brought into the light, and everything changes meaning. Its not like the entire game you know you're going to save your daughter to help prevent yourself from becoming a cultist, that just comes up in the last 30 minutes.

Plus he really was nitpicking. The difficulty was too easy because there is no punishment for death...yes there is lol, sure you lose a couple bucks, but your enemies regenerate 80% of their lost health, and you come back with I think 60% of your health and 40% of your ammo, something along those lines. He didn't like the radial wheel skill selection, well maybe he should have played on PC because that is how almost every FPS with multiple weapons/skills works on consoles now. He didn't utilize most of the skills, that is because he played on easy and kept spamming the same move. Aside from I think one, I used all of the skills when playing on hard mode, it just really depended on the given situation. He didn't like how the girl was always in the battle scenes...so? Infinite made having a companion so enjoyable compared to every other FPS because she was helpful and didn't get in the way, would he have rather had her just disappear and then reappear? Complained about melee combat, when its pretty standard FPS melee combat. And then he says how old games were better in terms of the atmosphere and plot, even though our modern consoles can utilize so many different storytelling elements that barely existed 10 years ago?

He is nitpicking to get attention to his review. Not saying that I disagree just because I loved the game, he is entitled to feel how he wants about it. Some people might think the story was stupid, some people think the gameplay is stupid, which is cool, agree to disagree. But its evident that he is complaining just to complain. Anyone can easily tear apart any game if they nitpick the way he is.