Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Beta Overachiever: 5 Tips for launch day & 5 Opinions <

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Ascendo, Apr 19, 2012. | Replies: 17 | Views: 2564

1. Ascendo

Ascendo IncGamers Member

Beta Overachiever: 5 Tips for launch day & 5 Opinions

This week a spent several days maxing out every class and obtaining every achievement. Here are my 5 tips for launch day and my 5 opinions of Diablo 3.

5 Tips for Launch Day:

1. Select “Elective Mode†in Options. I overlooked this at first because I didn’t know it was there. This will allow you to fully customize all of you skills and toolbars.
    2. Invest ALL your gold and resources into your blacksmith. Crafting will be the best source for gear. Craft selectively based on your biggest slot need.
    3. Select purely DPS skills, attributes, gear. Normal difficulty is going to be so easy that you want to maximize your killing efficiency. I maxed out all 5 classes to level 13 without dying once. For the boss fights, if needed, you can always temporarily swap out for some defensive and buffing skills before the fight.
    4. Play in a group for the best drops.
    5. Witch Doctor’s Soul Harvest is not OP. I admit this is the most powerful skill in beta, however do not assume it will be the best skill for the full game (or that WD is the best class). We don’t know how this + intelligence will scale up with leveling. The DPS boost for a level 50 character could likely be much less than a level 10 character.

5 Opinions from Beta:

1. D3 feels exactly like D2. Except with a predictable facelift to the graphics and UI.
    2. GameSpot Review predication: 8.5 – 9.0. The game has been in development for so long and expectations have been so high, I just do not see it scoring any better than a 9.0. There is nothing groundbreaking (e.g. no PVP) about this game. Torchlight has already incorporated many of the innovative ARPG concepts that made the Diablo 3 announcement so exciting back in 2008. Yup it has been 4 years already.
    3. D3 will be perfect for a console. You literally can play the whole game with just a mouse. It is mindless hack & slash. Expect D3 to be on PS3 and XBOX within 12 months.
    4. Too many barrels, urns, bookshelves etc. The amount of interactive junk in the dungeons almost seems silly. The only yield tiny amounts of gold so what is the point? I think they should reduce the amount of interactive junk and increase the potential for a drop so players don’t ignore it.
    5. Barb was the most fun. The barb felt like an invincible cannonball--leaping into the fray and destroying everything in the way. For me at least, this seems like what a fast paced ARPG should feel like.
  2. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Re: Beta Overachiever: 5 Tips for launch day & 5 Opinions

As for the Blacksmith and item tips I plan to chillax and not rush. Just playing casually. And as for the soul harvest, I agree that it isn't overpowered.

D3 isn't really mindless but I agree that it would be nice on a console even if I don't have one.

There aren't too many destructibles in the game. Blizzard doesn't expect everyone to break everything. It's kind of the same as white items, you're not supposed to pick them all up. Oh and btw, time-gold wise it's worth destroying barrels (but not ashes).

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

1a. agree

2a. i agree that the blacksmith needs to get leveled and fast but i plan to open a few stash slots(not many) and work the jeweler also

3a. dont agree here. dps is prime in norm mode but you should also take the movement skill to increase speed if thats your goal. also 6 dps skills is overkill. mix it up and you will be better off. dont skip defensive skills or the movement/buff skills

4a. sp and group = same drops. only way you will get better drops is if you dont have mf and play with people who do. you can kill a bit faster in groups assuming the group actually stays together. in my beta experience people like to run off and do own thing. at best you get 2 teams of 2

5a. soul harvest is a must have for my wd, i assume it will be used by almost every WD i see

1b. i disagree. d3 feels somewhat like d2, some like d1, and a lot new. it has a diablo world feel to it but feels fresh to me anyway

2b. i dont bother with reviews so no opinion

3b. its clear D3 was made to be ported. its the main reason (dont care what bliz says) to limit the skills to 6

4b. there are a lot of breakables thats for sure and i am really happy about it. i dont want to play in boring backgrounds i want to see stuff get smashed as i am using my best skills. breakables are avoidable so i so no issue with them. packing more monsters per map but still playing on basic background would still feel lacking to me

5b. i am starting with barb but all 5 felt fun to me, i have no complaints with any of them

4. Amarules

Amarules IncGamers Member

Killing is gonna go fast enough eitherway in Normal. I'll find a decent weapon but I'll be stacking gold find so that I'm able to invest in artisan training / stash space and be able to stockpile gold so that I can begin crafting gear when I start to encounter difficulty.

Run speed and attributes like Resource replenish on crit will also be handy. I don't think pure DPS is optimal at least for first playthrough. For a large part of that much of your pumped DPS will be simply overkill.

Point 4 is incorrect as group size has no influence on drops.
  5. DarkPhenomenon

DarkPhenomenon IncGamers Member

I'll have to disagree with some of your tips.

2) There's no point dumping all of your gold into your Blacksmith. Gold is needed for several things (including upgrading your incredibly small starting stash size) so dumping it all into one thing is a bad idea. My tip in this regard is to save your gold and use it when you need it. If you're finding a bunch of gear you want to save for other characters but have no place to store it, buy more stash space. If you're lacking in a couple of slots search vendors (They sell good gear) or level up your BS enough so you can craft the gear. I found myself splitting my gold between crafting gear (Which is more dependant on crafting materials than gold), leveling the blacksmith and purchasing stash space.

3) This may not be the case for all of normal, especially in HC when first starting out. As one of the people who were able to experience content post Skeleton King for the 2 days it was available (Festing woods and fields of Misery), I can tell you that even in normal the game does indeed start ramping up, especially when you come across things like jailer, waller and vortex champs. I actually opted to use a shield with my barb because there were a few monsters (namely large charing bull type looking things and some of the ghosts in the festering woods) That actually hurt more than expected. We can only assume the difficulty will increase as we progress.

4) My experience in the Beta has actually told me that soloing is better. More people in a game makes monsters more difficult, but you usually always had one person sitting idle in town or going off on their own which slows down your killing speed which in turn gets you less drops. The number of players in a game actually has zero impact in the quality of items
  6. Cid

Cid IncGamers Member

beta overachiever tip 6:

check the vendor with rings frequently and buy +2-4 damage +6exp per kill (or +5IAS).
    this will increase your overall dps and leveling speed a lot, for all classes.
  7. WalkerJ

WalkerJ IncGamers Member

Going to be selling all my gold for blizzard bucks, heh.

8. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

While you're at no 1, don't forget to enable Advanced Tooltip too...

2) If you want to make a quick and decent amount of real money bux, the release week will be the best opportunity to sell gold as their real money value will be the highest. Don't buy or upgrade anything, just sell all your gold, then buy it back for half the price a week or two latter.

3) Judging even a level 30 difficulty from a level 13 perspective is a bad idea, especially when you overlevel that content by 5 levels :p

4) No need to rush with a group, enjoy your first run through normal, go at your own pace, savor all the lore, listen to dialogue, smell the roses, etc. This will be a one-time-only experience that can't be repeated on your later runs.

5) All classes are fun! :D
  9. genjaguar

genjaguar IncGamers Member

What I gather from point 4 and what it seems to me is that playing with friends will give you better loot. My point being that they will get items that are better suited to your character and they will drop it for you. So while you may not actually be getting more loot...being able to share it gives you access to 2x-4x as much loot than going solo.

Playing with friends who know what they're doing will also make it faster since mobs only get 75% hp per extra player.
  10. Sid

Sid IncGamers Member

This is incorrect. Breakable objects and lootable objects both can yield magic items and even rares (I've seen it more than once).

Other than that, good post.

11. Amarules

Amarules IncGamers Member

I'd actually disagree with you on that. Its unlikely you are going to want to store huge amounts of stuff too early on. For me the most efficient method is to create as many chars as you can right away and use them all to mule items you find while levelling your first character as opposed to your stash (you can keep useful things like gems/crafting mats in there).

That frees up gold and for me I think the best way to spend it is to pump as much as you can into training the blacksmith upto max level.
    The reason is that crafted items are going to be the quickest and most reliable way to obtain items to see you into Inferno once you hit 60. The sooner you are geared the easier farming becomes and the potential content you can run increases.

I would imagine you can level without too many issues relying solely on drops. Allowing you to stockpile crafting materials to be dumped into a full set of crafted upgrades towards the end of normal/nightmare/hell and allow you to transition to the next difficulty smoothly.

If your struggling on a boss you can always dip into your supply. But beta experience was that the drops you get are more than sufficient to get by.

Once you have a decent high level gear set and you can farm well getting stash tabs should be a fairly quick process.

12. Wolfpaq777

Wolfpaq777 Well-Known Member

I'm going to do my best to leave barrels alone until at least nightmare difficulty. It's true that you can get gold & blues from them, but every second I spend killing a normal barrel could be spent killing a nightmare barrel which will certainly give more gold and better items.

Really, my goal is just to get out of normal difficulty ASAP.
  13. Griswold

Griswold IncGamers Member

Opinions 1 & 2, not so great. You've played the beta, not the whole game. I'd reserve judgement until then.
  14. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Diablo 3 will do well in reviews, but for the wrong reasons.

Reviewers at places like Gamespot and IGN...they actually have no concept of game design. They don't know what a big deal, in terms of innovation, D3 is. Titan Quest, Torchlight, Path of Exile....they're all still rooted in that 90s design where games punish the player (not that those games were necessarily bad - I enjoyed them for what they were). But Diablo 3 is, to me, the FIRST A-RPG to be designed with modern game design philosophies. Even Titan Quest, with the concept of respeccing, kept the system the same, but just added a gold cost to respeccing as its way of compromising. But all of D3's design has been from a fundamentally different mindset.
  15. DarkPhenomenon

DarkPhenomenon IncGamers Member

Your solution are mules? I find having to swap characters just to store stuff incredibly annoying and you're going to want to keep twink gear for new characters so various low level gear is going to be very useful. I suppose you could save space and initial gold by usings mules. It's easy enough to keep your BS's craftable gear beyond your character level, dumping gold into it will just allow you to craft even higher level gear you can't use which is literally a waste of gold. Once you get your Artisan past level 4 you will be gated by pages while crafting gear will be gated by materials so there is literally no reason to tell people to dump their gold into their artisans. I still stand by my original tip of saving your gold until you need to spend it because then you can spend it on what you actually need instead of trying to guess and potentially being wrong.

16. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

but you will destroy most of the stuff from simply killing the monsters anyway. so many aoe skills

17. Flux

Flux Administrator

Was anyone else reading the OP, with his 1 post full of advise, and expecting a "buy my D3 guide!" link at the bottom? My admin senses were tingling.

As previous comments show, the gold for blacksmith thing is open to debate.

If you're only playing one character, you'll initially need to spend all of your gold training the smith, (I tend to sell a lot of blue stuff also, since I have way more mats than I need for early crafting, and not enough gold). But even by level 10 or 12 in the beta you'll have the smith to level 3ish, and he'll be overtrained; i.e. the recipes you're adding with more training have clvl reqs of 16+, which you can't use yet.

I'd concentrate on a single character, at least up through normal difficulty. You'll find more gold and value in 10m at level 25
    than in 2 hours at level 10.

If you do a 2nd character, say starting a new Wiz or DH after you level a Barb to 15 and get bored with the meathead melee swinging stuff, that 2nd char won't need to spend anything on smith training, and would probably be fully-outfitted by twinks from the first char, so all their gold would be just saved up, or used to buy stash space, etc.

I would not advise recrafting the low level armor recipes. Those early items can only get low level mods with small bonuses, on gear you're going to replace in 5 levels/30 minutes anyway. It's not worth the gold or mats to reroll armor. (Weapons, yes.) Just craft for the defensive bonus and to upgrade over totally useless found items, and save your extra gold for higher level recipes.

One thing unknown; the datamining has always shown lots of recipes that only come from finding plans. i.e. the smith learns about 50% of his total recipes from training, and the other half from plans you find and use to teach him. These plans have never been in the beta though. Earlier patches you'd occasionally find some low level plans that he already knew from training, and there was a rare belt that came only from a plan, but those were only about 2% of the huge number of plans listed in the game code, but never findable.

So we don't know how this will work in the finished game; if we'll need to find a ton of blacksmith plans to learn him up, or if training will cover most/ all of his needs.
  18. StrudelStraddler

StrudelStraddler IncGamers Member

You could also hoard your gold instead of leveling your smith and then spend it in AH on stuff other people craft. Undoubtedly people who spend all that gold to level up their smith will craft weapons multiple times each to get good attributes, then try to recoup some of the costs by posting attempts that didn't beat their best on AH. That's where you swoop in and pick up the fruits of other people's investments.