Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best Suited Build for Griswold Set

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Holy Dude, Aug 27, 2013. | Replies: 12 | Views: 2433

1. Holy Dude

Holy Dude IncGamers Member

Hello everyone. I'm Holy Dude and I'm new to this forum. Been playing Diablo for about 2 years so far. As my first thread, I was wondering which Paladin build would be most fit with the Griswold's Legacy Set. Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:
  2. Psychonautical

Psychonautical IncGamers Member

I would have to say hands down a budget Smiter.

First, the shield base is Vortex, which while having laughably low minimum damage DOES have the highest maximum smite damage.

The other reason is that the weapon is crap. You can customize it with socketables, sure, but to even come close to the damage of most runewords or good uniques would require Ohm runes for a hard 50% ED or some 40% ED/ IAS jewels, which are one of the most expensive items in the game depending on the realm.

So if you are Zealing, you are doing terribly low damage compared to even an Oath, which is far cheaper of a runeword (and faster.)

However, the weapon features + integer, not percent damage, which adds to Smite. It certainly is no Grief Phase Blade, but for a budget set that will max your resists no problem, it is a decent alternative. Also, you can stick 4x Shael runes in the weapon for a HUGE +80% IAS which will be all the speed you need with Fanaticism to hit breakpoints that will heal you when using Life Leech, in the case of an Uber runner, for example.

But I digress. It could be argued that a Holy Shock Paladin could use it well, since the low physical damage from the weapon wouldn't matter anyways, but to that I'd argue that you don't get very many +skill bonuses from most set items, and this one uses ALL FOUR major items slots where you find most +skill items, so your Holy Shock will be fairly low, and seem virtually a waste compared to a Zealer just using two Dreams and a faster, better weapon.

Obviously, with low +skills and no Cast Rate, this is the WORST idea for a Hammerdin and FoH Paladin.

But yeah, definitely Smite. If you are on a budget as far as the custom socketing options are concerned, I'd just fill the shield with Perfect Diamonds and then fill the rest of the armor, helm and weapon sockets with shaels. This will give you a whopping 100% faster hit recovery and 100-140% IAS (depending on if you got a 3 or 4 socketed Griswold's Redemption.)

If you have some high runes to spare, I put 2x Shaels and 2x Bers in the weapon, 3x Ums in the shield, 2x Bers in the helm, and stuck to 3x Shaels in the body since I hate being stunned. This gives you speed, recovery, lots of resist (101 in the shield alone before set bonuses or other items) and 40% Crushing Blow. Everything you need to be a successful PvMer.

Don't use this for PvP. You will lose.
  3. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

Damage +X may add to shield damage, but Adds X-Y Damage is essentially +X Minimum Damage and +Y Maximum Damage combined, and it does not add to shield damage.

According to TitanSeal's Attack Speed Calculator, a Paladin with a Caduceus requires 109 Increased Attack Speed for maximum standard Attack speed, 129 IAS for maximum Smite speed and 142 IAS for maximum Zeal speed. If you're using minimum level 25 Fanaticism, then Griswold's Redemption's 40 IAS is already sufficient for maximum attack speed with all of the above.

While a 10 frame cast rate (requiring 75 Faster Cast Rate) is still achievable, it's not advisable. However, Fist of the Heavens has a cast delay and Griswold's Legacy has 11-12 sockets for Rainbow Facet Jewels, for +(33-60)% Lightning Skill Damage and -(33-60)% Enemy Lightning Resistance in total.

Griswold's Legacy full set bonus includes 30 Faster Hit Recovery, and a Paladin needs 48 FHR (18 more) for 5 frame hit recovery, 86 FHR (56 more) for 4 frame hit recovery and 200 FHR (170 more) for 3 frame hit recovery (the lowest it can be). Smite and Zeal cannot be interrupted by hit recovery (at least once the first action is executed), so if you're using either of those skills then FHR should not be a priority.
  4. Psychonautical

Psychonautical IncGamers Member

Holy balls! I had no idea the X-Y didn't add to smite! That is terrible news!

If it requires 142 IAS for max zeal speed, how does the 40 on the scepter and Fanaticism hit 142? Level 25 Fanaticism gives, what, like 30-50 IAS, tops, doesn't it?

Indeed a good point I overlooked. This is what I get for posting so late and tired, because I knew damn well it had a casting delay when I typed this, yet still lumped it in with the "ele/magic = caster" concept. My mistake, as so many open sockets would make for some good bonuses.

In light of this, I'd say a Fist of the Heaven's Paladin is quite viable with the set, but I'd still argue that it is better for a Smiter.

When it comes to cheap socket options, Shaels are often my go-to budget choice since it isn't a loss to remove them later, and more for things like running or using Hammers rather than Zealing or Smiting.
  5. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

With some exceptions, item Increased Attack Speed does not equal +% attack speed like that applied by skills like Fanaticism. Instead, it's converted to +% attack speed (EIAS) via a diminishing returns formula:

Code:
    EIAS = floor   (120*IAS  / 120+IAS)
    IAS  = ceiling (120*EIAS / 120-EIAS)
    Floor functions round down, ceiling functions round up. Zeal's maximum attack speed with a Caduceus requires +75% attack speed (its ceiling, or maximum applicable value). The Caduceus' weapon speed -10 is effectively +10% attack speed, reducing this requirement to 65 so, in the absence of Fanaticism, ceiling (120*65 / 120-65) = 142 IAS.

Level 25 Fanaticism applies +36% attack speed, reducing this requirement further to 29 so ceiling (120*29 / 120-29) = 39 IAS.

This is why I stopped expressing item IAS values (or item Faster Block Rate, Cast Rate or Hit Recovery values, for that matter) as percentages in my posts.
  6. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

Two builds best suited to griswolds.

Avenger or Justiciar which is still vengeance but with fanatism instead of conviction.

Reason is that +min & + max damage calculate as base weapon damage for vengeance damage. Griswolds set bonus for example as well as all those sockets in the weapon, chest, helm and shield for more jewels with min or max damage.
    You can get up to +29 max, +17 min damage as well as 9-14 damage on a single jewel and there are how many sockets in the set? Straight ED in the weapon is more than enough, but better if you manage to come across ED/damage.

Pretty easy to reach 4,500+ average damage @ 8fps attack speed with a basic set up. From memory mine was doing 4,600 minimum damage without using any of my older pre v1.09 charms.
  7. Holy Dude

Thats what i thought. Because think about it; all those melee mods going to waste on the set and people socket it with Light Facets to use foh.
  8. Drehnz

Drehnz IncGamers Member

If you worry about utilizing the whole set at its fullest, I'd recommend these in order from best to worst:

1. Avenger - Compatible with all the mods.

2. Charger - Compatible but not the greatest with Griswold's Legacy.

3. Smiter - Not the best shield but high max damage.

4. Zealot - Compatible but lower damage.

5. Sacrificer? (If that exists) - but I just wouldn't.

Now, the question is do you use Fanaticism or Conviction? Well, from what I know, Conviction also reduces enemy Defense, helping both Physical and Elemental. Fanaticism just helps Physical. BUT, if you want the attack speed bonus, and don't wanna FoH with facets, I suggest you be an Avenger with Conviction and socket your stuff with 40/15 Jewels instead. (Ruby Jewel of Fervor).
  9. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Just a few minutes ago, I took an enchantress to level 92 using Griswold's Redemption (I'm using Clervis' drop-bear build pretty much exactly as its presented in his guide). It's one of my favorite weapons for its amazing speed, but I wouldn't use it on an avenger. One can get more raw damage from a lot of other weapons, and raw damage is what matters for Vengeance. I realize no full Gris set paladin is going to be ideal compared to what decked out uniques and runewords could provide, but Vengeance doesn't seem like the best option. Maybe I'm biased because of fond memories of a now-gone Avenger that ran through Hell seemingly impervious to everything and annihilating monsters instantly with Breath of the Dying.

All those sockets make the set pretty tempting for FoH, although I don't know how well that would work in practice (the set, I mean, not the skill in general). It would be a pretty extravagant use of Rainbow Facets, but I might test re-gearing my FoH paladin for this just to see what it looks like. Actually farming all those jewels, though, I don't think I'd be inclined toward...
  10. Holy Dude

Thanks guys. And I just wanna say sorry for always asking these set related questions as it's probably getting annoying lol
  11. Drehnz

Drehnz IncGamers Member

Dude, it's all good. No biggie in asking these questions; you're curious and that's just fine. It's a forum, so don't worry about how people supposedly look at your posts. I'll be honest. I love sets. They aren't the best, but is just like them because they're cool and it's a nice challenge collecting them. I use them every now and then just for uncompetitive play.
  12. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Not at all. It's refreshing that people still have interest.
  13. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Asking questions is great! :D