Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best strategy game ever

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ferrous, Apr 24, 2004. | Replies: 57 | Views: 1714

1. Ferrous

Ferrous IncGamers Member

Best strategy game ever

(in response to best RPG ever...I'm much more of a strategy game guy)

There have been some very interesting ones....Civ III, Starcraft, Birthright, Realm of Magic, Age of Empires, Galactic Battlegrounds, Tiberian Sun etc...but the best one sticks with Blizzard:

Warcraft III

But I hear Medieval is pretty good...
  2. tydon

tydon IncGamers Member

Overall of history, the board game risk pwns all for a strategy game.
  3. chewie837

chewie837 IncGamers Member

Civilization 2. Nothing more fun than taking out other nations with your fanatical followers. The 6000 year span is a plus too. The multiplayer version is awesome as well.

Similar is Alpha Centauri, with a better diplomacy system and cooler technologies. But it can't quite equal the magic of civ 2.
  4. lala

lala IncGamers Member

starcraft must be something to still keep such a large player base after like what... 8 years?
  5. London

London IncGamers Member

Yeah, I've been playing SC for 4 years, I love that game. But yes, Risk is a really good strategy board game as well.
  6. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3.

Starcraft.

Original Command and Conquer
  7. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

Disgaea again :thumbsup:
  8. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

UFO - Enemy Unknown. (AKA Xcom).

One of the great classics.

Stars!

Independent low-fi production, but with great strategical depth. (I sincerely hope they find a distributor for Stars! Supernova Genesis).
  9. th5418

th5418 Banned

Its all about Chess. CHESS!!!
  10. Ferrous

Ferrous IncGamers Member

I reneg. I agree, Chess is the best strategy game ever...if you do wish to play me, I'm gitaramanus on Yahoo. play me sometime...heroes of might and magic 2 and 3 were pretty good...but it annoyed me that all the races were so similar in 3...2 was much more interesting, though a little weighted towards black dragons...
  11. PsychoticDiah888

PsychoticDiah888 IncGamers Member

I'm all about the classic Adventures of Lolo games for NES. Other than that, I must agree with chess.
  12. ash2ash

ash2ash IncGamers Member

Rise of Nations is bar none the best strategy game I've ever played.
  13. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

One of the civilizations probably. Hard to say which one though. Civ one was so incredibly good when it came out it was hard to imagine something better. Civ 2 was great because it built on that... well... let´s call it perfection even though it´s stupid... it built on the perfection that was civ1 and added minor details and some graphics without ruining a single one of those things that made civ1 such a masterpiece. Civ3 was a bit of a dissapointment because... uhhh... I don´t really know why actually. Maybe I just expected more or maybe I´ve gotten soft in the head or something. It´s just as solid as civ1 & 2 I´m sure. I probably just need to get better aquainted with it, and I´m on that. I started a scenarion called "Teh Turkan: The Test of Time" a few days ago and it´s looking really great so far. I´ve only just gotten into the 800´s BC (32 civs!!!) and it´s got my attention for sure. Hopefully I´ll come out the other side of this game a devotee.

IMPORTAINT!!!! HONORABLE MENTION BELOW!!

Master of Magic. Oh man... do I love that game or what!? I´t basically a slightly more simple version of civ with technologies replaced by spells. You play a wizard and your goal is to conquer your opponents, who are also mighty wizards. You can choose one of about ten races, special abilities and a catalogue of magic at the start of the game. Later, you can find spellbooks and gain a wider knowledge of magic and conquer cities belonging to other races to gain access to thei special units. You hire mighty heroes do carry out quests for you, create magical artifacts, cast mighty spells to raise volcanoes under your opponents` cities, explore mysterious ruins and summon demons and dragons to do your bidding.

I would probably rate this game even higher than the civs if there was a decent remake of it, or even a de-bugged version with a harder difficulty setting I could play under win2000. Age of Wonders and Age of Wonders 2 are pretty close to a remake but there are too many BS campaigns and too few city building options, magical items, mysterious locales, spells and cool heroes in them for me to love them like I loved MoM.

One of the greatest games ever!

:thumbsup:
  14. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

I'd have to go with Civilization III because of the finished product, although Civilization II was probably more groundbreaking and perfect *for it's time*. Regardless, the Civilization series is easily the all time best.

As for honorable mentions, I'd like to put forth Railroad Tycoon, which I doubt many people here have played. Amazing game from the early 90s, from Sid Meier, that just have everything you would want for strategy. I also enjoyed Lord of the Realms II.
  15. Kawaii

Kawaii IncGamers Member

Civ 1,2,3 and Alpha Centauri. I love those games. In fact, i was playing Civ3 five minutes ago.
    Oh, and the honorable mention goes to Transport Tycoon. I played it a lot as a kid.
  16. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

As did I. Great game.
  17. chewie837

chewie837 IncGamers Member

How could I have forgotten! Back when I had no idea how stocks worked or how businesses operated. But I still had a blast!

I second X-Com. Still one the most tense gaming experiences of my life, when I lost my Commander to one of those spore guys after they took down the rest of my squad. Always check behind you in an enemy base.
  18. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Total Annihalation is the best ever.

Also Wargames is a good game too.

Too bad its so hard to get a copy of that game now.
  19. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

My vote goes to WC3, with SC nipping at its heels. I think the story in SC might have been a tad better, but the gameplay, and pretty much everything else in WC3 is better.
  20. Matt

Matt IncGamers Site Pal

Age of conquerors gets my vote.