Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best place to farm post 1.03?

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by Stryfe, Jun 22, 2012. | Replies: 20 | Views: 16389

1. Stryfe

Stryfe IncGamers Member

So, after 1.03 hit I have noticed a few changes.
    Rares seem to drop a rare item more often and bosses seem to drop less rare items. This led me to thinking that just killing rares might be more profitable.

But where? Since all acts now can drop the best loot (the lower acts at a lower rate) it might be better to farm Act1 than the other acts as the mobs are much easier here generally.

I am currently up to Desolace in act2 but I'd like to know all thoughts you have.

Is it still worth it to run e.g. Warden/Butcher runs or similar or should I instead clear areas for rares and in that case which areas are good?

The black canyon mines in act2 have good enemies, none are inherently fast or have really nasty abilities.

Of course all of this applies to Inferno.
  2. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

It depends how good your gear is, I suppose. I'm doing basically full clears of act 3, carrying the 5 stack across the whole zone wiping out every elite pack I can find. Act 3 still has the best drop rate to difficulty ratio, IMHO. The only reason to do a1 is if you just don't have the gear for a3 yet - and a2, I can't see any reason to ever do. It is still annoying.
  3. Zekareisoujin

Zekareisoujin IncGamers Member

This is clearly stated in the patch note that 5 stacks of NV will ensure 1 rares from elites/champion packs and from boss alike. Therefore, it seems the better method to farm now is to clear as many areas as you can before remaking the games.

Just as magicretangle suggested, it really depends on how good your gear is, or how comfortable you are with the acts. I myself am farming act3, do a full run of the act starting from Siegebreaker quests: go to Rakkis crossing to get Tyrael (he is still useful somewhat), then go back to the beginning for a full run. Of course I am also prepared to skip any groups that might kill me for more than 4-5 times to reduce my repair cost.

On the other hand, weaker characters can do an almost full run of act1 & clear the following place: Cemeteries, Cathedral lv3-4, Watch Towers, Cursed Hold Butcher run. I myself sometimes still go back to act1 to farm when I don't want to tire myself out with act 3 anymore.

It is also possible to farm in act2, from Kulle dungeons to a full Belial clear. However, I feel that it is not advisable to do so since there are only 3 dungeons that way, the number of elites/champions you might encounter would be less than that of act 1. Farming other areas than the aforementioned is not advisable due to the very annoying nature of act 2 monsters.
  4. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Full runs of Act 1 is what i am able to do at the moment, and that is the way at the moment. I tried playing around in Act 2 as well, but there are some really nasty combos floating around that i just cannot handle, which sometimes even resulted in my NV stack running out!

Act 1 has been fun so far and there have been some items that have indeed become useful!
  5. korrekt

korrekt IncGamers Member

I'm doing full a2 clearances right now, which isn't too annoying with proper defensive gear. I hardly ever die. Gonna go up to a3 soon, however, and try if I can do full clears there without dying too much.
  6. Omelet

Omelet IncGamers Member

In general simply doing a full clear gives the best return. I would suggest trying to find your best zone where you can kill and move along efficiently (i.e. without dying). You should also try and consider how much MF% you are able to wear within each act.

For example... If you can wear 150% MF in A1 and clear it relatively quickly, this may be a lot more productive than struggling through Act 2.

Certain places like the Festering Woods, Cemetary of the Forsaken (Act 1) always have rare packs, so you can move your stack up quickly by hitting these areas.
  7. PhoeniX Skye

PhoeniX Skye IncGamers Member

I don't know about that... as MF doesn't affect the item level but the item quality... and I don't know specifically how the MF affects the affix rolls or how many more rares drop instead of magic. You would definitely end up with more Blues, but of lesser average item level as compared to act2.

Personally, I've been doing act2 starting at the Magdha(sp) quest, then sweeping from Black Canyon Mines forward. All those caves where you need to find Kulle's stuff always houses a bunch of Elites (but sometimes they're annoying and spawn right at the entrance!). I personally don't have enough time to clear the whole act, but I would definitely stop before fighting Belial; the fight time and difficulty is definitely not worth it.

Also, I'm timing my runs and the number of elites I run into in act2 and I'm going to compare with an act3 run. This obviously depends on mostly on your stats but I'll share my results when I'm done.

8. koalasgomeep

koalasgomeep IncGamers Member

Act 1 farming is the best imo. 40 min per run, 100kish guarenteed, plus whatever you might find that's sellable.

I run festering woods>cemetary>manor+guaranteed elite north of it>check for watchtower>butcher.

I could do A3, but there's at least 3-5 deaths guaranteed because something or another is going to spawn fast. Plus spear chuckers are annoying.
  9. Stryfe

Stryfe IncGamers Member

Do you run all the quests or set the last quest and run through all areas?

I suppose it would be a good way to get the speedrun achievement, I guess that requires to run all the quests though.
  10. LeminaAusa

LeminaAusa IncGamers Member

I do act 3 clears of the keep, the bridge and the area before it. I'm usually lazy to do more than that. I do act 1 when I need a break from act 3, since its fun zerging down stuff with total disregard for defence every now and then.
  11. FireVengeance

FireVengeance IncGamers Member

Im still pretty new lvl 60 and have only gone just short of Leoric in act 1 and found that champs were beating me too frequently and costing me too much in repairs, at this stage I am finding it easier to farm A3 & A4 of Hell diff where I almost never die to farm gold and junk to sell to the vendor, with the odd thing being good enough to sell on AH, to help gear up and be more viable in Inferno difficulty. Since 1.03 there is still a chance to get ilvl 61 drops in this area, so some item finds may be useful to me as well.
  12. Death_StrikeR

Death_StrikeR IncGamers Member

Check your build.
    Sometimes it has something to do with that class you are farming with.

13. Stryfe

Stryfe IncGamers Member

With 1.03b it seems like bossruns are it again. Oppinions?
  14. magicrectangle

bossruns are not it. Yes you get two guaranteed yellows with a 5 stack, but a yellow from every elite pack still makes clearing the elites from an act a better use of your time. A seigebreaker run isn't quite so pointless anymore though, if you don't have enough consecutive free time to clear a large number of elites.
  15. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Start with a boss run, then use whatever time you have left to clear towards any remaining bosses and then the rest of the elites, starting with the most accessible to the least accessible.

For example in act 2 I start with zoltun kulle and go back to his archives to get 5 stacks, then kill him and belial, then finish the shadow realm, then go to the oasis to look for dungeons and the tomb event (this event is the main reason I go there first). Don't enter ancient cave, only flooded cave, because ancient cave has no elites. Then I proceed to the aqueducts. After that I go clear the elites before magdha (only the 1st 1/2 of the city can have elites, TP back when cleared), and look for caves/events in the first 3 zones. Then I clear the sewers, and if I still have time I go to the desolate sands and look for any caves/events there (I placed this zone last because it seems to involve more walking around than the others).

In the end, as long as you minimize how often you restart the game (and lose valor buffs) while also minimizing backtracking you will do well.
  16. magicrectangle

I start a3 on the siegebreaker quest, pick up tyrael from the rakkis waypoint, then farm elites in the early parts of the act, until I start to run short on time. Then I hop back to rakkis waypoint and kill siegebreaker before logging out.
  17. flAked

flAked IncGamers Member

On which quest are you starting Act2 farming, Realm of Shadows or Soulstone chamber?
  18. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Soulstone chamber. Saves you the unique mobs at the end of each dungeon, since they don't drop anything useful anyway.
  19. Psycotik

Psycotik IncGamers Member

Just curious, been farming act3 on my Wiz way easier than act2 still not as easy as act1 of course.

Are level 63 items that drop in act3 better? Or is it just luck of the roll???
  20. magicrectangle

Level 63 items aren't any better or worse depending where they drop, you just get more of them in the later acts.