Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best Lite Sorc Shield

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Alkajak, Apr 19, 2012. | Replies: 28 | Views: 7154

1. Alkajak

Alkajak IncGamers Member

Best Lite Sorc Shield

Helm: P Ist'd Shako
    Armor: P AP CoH
    Weapon: P HoTo
    Belt: P Arach
    Boots: P War Travs
    Gloves: P Chancies
    Rings: SoJ / P Wisp
    Ammy: P Maras
    Switch: 27% Spirit Mon / 6-5 CTA

Merc Weapon: EInf
    Armor: Nigma
    Helm: Eth Andys Ral'd

I have two Phoenix Monarchs with different stats, but I was wondering if there's a better shield than that for this lite sorc build. Maybe P Spirit? LMK.

Main purpose: MF runs, Baal runs, Chaos Runs, etc.
    Runs them fine now, but I want to perfect this sorc before making another char.

PS. I don't have a point in ES with this build.

20 light
    20 chain light
    20 nova
    20 charged bolt
    20 light mastery
    1 warmth
    1 prereqs
  2. Tbone

Tbone IncGamers Member

Re: Best Lite Sorc Shield

Spirit seems like a pretty straight forward choice here. FCR looks like an issue for you with your current setup. You're only getting 60 from hoto and arach and that's just too low for a Lightning sorc. Here are the faster cast rate breakpoints for lightning and chain lightning

Code:
    At the very least you'd likely want to get to the 78 breakpoint. The spirit shield would get you there. You'll want it to be at least 27fcr to make the jump to 117fcr fairly easy.

From there you'd benefit from switching out magefists for your chancies. Now you'd be at 107+ (hoto40+arach20+spirit27+magefist20) and you only need to swap out a 10fcr ring for one of your SOJs and you're at 117.

You'd loose a bit of mf because of the gloves and some mana and killing power because of the ring but your kill speed by going from 60 to 117 fcr will be more than worth it. Plus you can get some pretty nice extra mods on the 10fcr ring that could help you as well.

Anyway, to answer your original question, spirit is pretty much THE shield to use with a Lite Sorc (and most any other sorceress as well).

*On a side note you may want to consider an ebug fortitude instead of nigma for your merc armor to go along with the andy and infinity. It's a merc combo that's hard to beat.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  3. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Spirit.

I would also ditch the shako for a griffon and keep the chancies. Griffon's Eye would greatly increase your kill speed vs broken immunes because of the -elr you're lacking and give you enough fcr to hit the 117% breakpoint with a 32+ fcr spirit. If you feel you need more mf after that, use a 10% fcr ring or amulet and replace Hoto with an Isted Oculus.
  4. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

Phoenix is only really useful for a Fire Sorc build due to its -fire res stat but even still it isn't that great due to all of the other lossed benefits that spirt gives.
  5. Tbone

Tbone IncGamers Member

Things most important to a lightning sorc pretty much in order of importance.

• 117 faster cast rate
    • -elr (enemy lightning resistance, why griffon's is so important)
    • life
    • resists
    • mana
    • lightning damage
    • mf (not nearly as important as kill speed in my opinion)
    • fhr (easy to hit the 60fhr breakpoint if you have spirit)

Spirit goes a long way to helping you with 4 of the top 5 important things.

Things you might think are important but probably aren't as important as you think

• defense
    • lightning damage (it is helpful of course, but many mistakenly put it at the top of the list)

You were asking about a shield, but they're really all tied together.
  6. Alkajak

Alkajak IncGamers Member

Helm: P 5-5'd Griffons
    Armor: P AP CoH
    Weapon: P 5-5'd Eschutas
    Belt: P Arach
    Boots: P War Travs
    Gloves: P Chancies
    Rings: SoJ / P Wisp
    Ammy: P Maras
    Switch: 27% Spirit Mon / 6-6 CTA
    Shield: P Spirit

Merc Weapon: EInf
    Armor: Eth SA Fort (P armor, 27 res)
    Helm: Eth Andys Ral'd

New setup. How does it look? Bolded the changes.
  7. TheWorkingBoor

TheWorkingBoor IncGamers Member

FYI the +Lightning Damage% on Eschutas simply adds on top of your Lightning Mastery... so you go from +~375% damage from your lightning mastery to +~400% damage from your lightning mastery & Eschutas... big yip. Eschutas is basically a wand with +3 skills, +2 Lightning Mastery, and 40 FCR - not bad, but if you're looking for the "best" litesorc, imo you'll fall short with Eschutas.

With only CoH, Spirit and Maras for resists, I'd personally much rather have HotO for the extra resists and mana. Although I found it tougher on my mana & FCR, Crescent Moon is an awesome weapon and one I'd recommend over Eschutas. I'd even prefer Occy (for the extra MF) over Eschutas.

8. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Eschuta's is way better than hoto. You can put a facet in it for -5 lite res, and the +LSD from esch and fact is approx +2 LM which isn't bad at all. The remaining ( +3/40 fcr ) is the same as hotos, and it gives a mana boost, though obviously it's not as good. Resists are not that pressing either- you can get them from charms.

CoH and Mara's shouldn't really be used either - without SOVM and fcr ammy you cannot get to 200 fcr. SOVM provides another socket to put a facet into, as well. Lite sorcs aren't really fun until you get 200 fcr.
  9. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Neither of you are doing your arguments any good by categorically stating that X/Y is the best. HotO gives you 40@, Eschuta's gives two levels LM and space for a facet. That setup is fine.

A light sorc definitely does not need 200 FCR, especially if you plan on fitting any MF on your sorc.
  10. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

The only sorc build that should be concerned with reaching the 200fcr is a PVP Fireballer in my opinion, for general pvm 117 for lightning is sufficient.
  11. Alkajak

Alkajak IncGamers Member

1. I have max resists in hell with my current gear, so HoTo is more or less garbage compared to my eschutas, especially with the 5-5 lite facet. On a side note, I have NEVER seen a sorc use SOTVP over CoH and Crescent Moon EVER.

2. There is no way that I would want or need 200 fcr.

Any other gear pieces to change?
  12. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Why would anyone choose dirt cheap gear over an armour with Ber in it and a sexy P LSD/ELR Eschuta with a 5/5 facet in it? Because people will always go for the more expensive stuff, +skills and higher LCS damage. Just look at the BKs on melee chars (why?) and the obsession with all-perfect gear that more often than not makes next-to-no difference.

IMO CM/Viper is the better setup since it does more damage where it matters - against high res monsters and broken immunes. That said, does it matter when you can faceroll through 95% of the game in any case? Not really.
  13. Tbone

Tbone IncGamers Member

looks like you're at 112fcr.

25 from griff
    40 from hoto
    20 from arach
    27 from spirit.

I'd strongly suggest getting to 117fcr.

You can do that by moving to a 32+fcr spirit, or swapping out a ring with a 10fcr ring (I'd keep the SOJ and dump the wisp myself). Other than that your setup should be more than adequate. As to the discussion about your weapon I'd agree with hubb that it's not really going to matter as you're going to blow through most everything anyway.

-Edit. Nevermind, I read your list incorrectly. I see that the 27fcr spirit is just on switch and you're using a 35fcr one. So yeah, I think you're in great shape. One thing you might want to condsider if you're looking for other tweaks, although it's not really that necessary is to see about having your merc hit the next attack speed break point. If your infinity is in a CV then you'd benefit from replacing the Ral with a jewel that has 15ias and fire resists (depending on your merc's level it probably only needs to be about 18 fire resists). If your infinity is in a thresher or a giant thresher then it doesn't matter as you won't reach the next break point anyway (unless you were to move to treachery instead of fortitude which I tried and don't really recommend). Again, not necessary, but it's another nice tweek to look at.

14. zaphodbrx

That's because you haven't played 200 fcr yet. Once you do, trust me you won't feel like going back.
    Some people are of the opinion that lite sorc without 200 fcr doesn't feel like a lite sorc at all.
    Plenty of reasons to use SOVM. It gives you a slot for facet ( much better than an extra +skill ), and 30 fcr which is really needed to hit breakpoint. The res is low compared to CoH but not hugely so. CoH just doesn't give enough bang for its buck.

15. gakky

gakky IncGamers Member

200fcr sounds interesting. What's the advantage ? I can only think of faster teleport which doens't help me much being on 200ms ping, and a faster CB. CB is too weak to against anything except act bosses, and even then at high levels Lightning is still better.
    Or is this for PvP ?
  16. Alkajak

Alkajak IncGamers Member

My Inf is Cryptic Axe. Is that worth getting a 15ias/fire res?

Edit: Seems the attack speed on CA and CV are the same, so I'm going to guess I should put a jewel in my Andys.
  17. gakky

gakky IncGamers Member

Eschuta good/bad? Lots of subjective views here. Time to do the math! Level 90 Sorc, with around +18 light, looking at the main skill we will use CL, +1 light skill will give you about +5.0% damage from LM=+1.9% CL=+2.9%.
    The 20%LD on Eschuta adds about 3.8% damage ! That is 3/4 of a +skill which is not at all trivial. Now add in a 5/5 facet.
    For raw damage Eschuta is king. Sorry to say but the extra 40 resist and no facet, hoto falls way short of the extra damage you get in Eschuta. In fact I don't even like CoH, with decent anni/torch you are overstacked which is a waste since you don't get hit with conviction.
    Occy is pretty decent, with no 20%LD only lightly less damage than Eschuta, massive MF, but just that too annoying teleport.

Now -5%ELR will generally (very generally) give about +5% damage, with a high range from nothing to +13% depending on monster light resist. The monsters with no benefit are dying in a flash anyway. The ones that take longer to kill are dying much faster. This is critical to kill speed. 1 player you are already OP, but I like to rip through 8 player chaos solo very fast. CM gives the edge here, even the toughest immunity broken packs die very quick 8 player! Try it ! And that is why I like the CM/viper setup. It is a faster killer than Eschuta/CoH.
    As a bonus you get a sneaky PvP build with so much -ELR CB becomes quite powerful :)

CM/viper is also much easier to obtain than a good Eschuta and CoH, although CoH is easy to get now late ladder. I still have not been able to obtain a good Eschuta, or in fact a good griffon. But Griffon there is not much choice, even a bottom one rocks anything else.
  18. Tbone

Tbone IncGamers Member

yup, it's the same. your merc's resists go up a little with each level so depending on what level he is will determine how high the fire resists need to be to max out. To find out remove both the andy and your fortitude and take note of what your fire resists are. Now take that number and subtract 30 (for andy) and add back in the resists for your fortitude.

Example:

For my level 96 merc when I remove andy and fort my fire resist is 63. My fort is 28 resists so...

63-30+28 = 61

so I only need my 15ias jewel to have 14 fire resists to get me to 75. In most cases 20+ fire resists will end up being enough. If you can get your hands on a 15/30 jewel then none of this matters, but they can be a little hard to come by.

19. zaphodbrx

Well firstly L and CL also get an additional breakpoint, and Nova, incase you were planning to use that.
    It's PvM. However my experience is with single player, so I don't know if bnet lag will f you up.
    Have a look at this Baal running vid to get an idea of the coolness of 200fcr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30YCYYlq2NA

20. gakky

gakky IncGamers Member

L and CL ? No mention of any breakpoint beyond 117 in any of the guides.