Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Best characters for 4 player co-op

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by mouseman, Apr 26, 2012. | Replies: 65 | Views: 9457

1. mouseman

mouseman IncGamers Member

Best characters for 4 player co-op

We are getting four people together when the servers go live. The only problem is, we can't figure out which four characters to pick, since there are four slots in multiplayer and 5 characters to choose from.

What do you suggest?

Also, can you elaborate which skills would you use together?

We are right now thinking of going without a Monk. Barbarian and WD pets & crowd control take the heat off -> Wizard and DH bomb away from the back. Sounds like a good plan, no?
  2. beingmused

beingmused IncGamers Member

Re: Best characters for 4 player co-op

Any party build without a monk is insane.

Here's (roughly) my full party's build:

Barb - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bZXVgk21aaaaaacaYaaa!bgV!ccYcYa
    Monk - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WZXdTk21facaaaabaaaa!fcZ!cbZZca

Most important are the barb and the monk. The barb's job is to gather mobs in one spot - done via the leap rune, and by taunting everything. Also keeping them there with the slow rune on cleave. That's why he's built to be very "tanky". The Monk's job is to heal, to help keep things gathered near the barb, to provide an absolutely gigantic party damage buff with his mantra, debuff mobs with crippling wave (which is just an absurdly good skill), and to help deal with troublesome ranged foes with his leaping kick thing.

The builds of the 2 ranged characters can be more flexible. The WD is the best of the 3, but instead of bringing pets, you want to focus on CC and AOE damage. Big Bad Voodoo and Mass Confusion are the two mandatory spells I think, since they buff the party so well. I know the person who's going to play WD in my party has something far different in mind, but here would be my WD build:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#ScRjfQ21XWaaaaaaZYab!XcW!caZYcb

For the 4th spot I'd choose the DH over the Wizard, with this build:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aZjQkl21eYbaaaac!eYb!bcZYcc
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  3. Wolfpaq777

Wolfpaq777 Well-Known Member

A monk with overawe conviction and guiding light + breath of heaven will be very useful for groups that know how to coordinate. That's a 16% damage buff on the party + a 24% debuff on the enemies which can be doubled to 48% bursts for coordinated spike damage.

Beingmused, I think your builds are messed up. I don't see passive skills or skill runes. May want to update those URLs.
  4. beingmused

Weird! I fixed them, thanks for the heads up.

5. prodiii

prodiii IncGamers Member

i can think of monk and 3 wd with pets :D depending how good the pets scale with lvls - if they cannot make any good damage forget about that.
    or maybe 2 monks and 2 wd's.
    any opinions ?
  6. Wolfpaq777

Wolfpaq777 Well-Known Member

3 witch doctors with max pets could be insane. that's 15 permanent summons, 18 if you count hex, and plenty of temps. Add a monk to debuff enemies and keep things healed and you've got a formidable party.
  7. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

first off you want a monk in any party

next grab a barb

the last 2 can go any way really. do you want 4 unique classes? if so i suggest wd and dh. the wd has some great slows and the dh can do 15% more damage vs them slowed mobs.

actually i would say this, monk,barb,wd, whoever though i would pick dh. you want those first 3 for a unique group
  8. terrrrrible

terrrrrible IncGamers Member

Barb + Monk + 2 of whatever you want.
  9. DoxieVon

DoxieVon IncGamers Member

Barb+monk+2x whatever does highest single target damage
  10. Apocalypse

this is a good point since the monk and barb can handle multiple mobs, let the other 2 be the boss killers

11. droppin

droppin IncGamers Member

So many people want monks in their group o_O. I checked out their skills and it's not that great for buffs/debuffs.
    1. the mantras have equivalent options on other characters. Barbs have bonus damage shouts, stuns, and can heal max hp instead of fixed heals. WD can do all of mantras but better :).
    2. It will be better to have more ranged than melee, specially squishy melee.

I would suggest 1 barb tank (cc,stuns,shouts), 1 wd (extra cc, extra tank, INSANE party buffs), and 2 wizards (nice party buffs, cc, and damage). I leave out the monk because I think it will be more dangerous trying to worry about another melee in range of big bad inferno packs. I leave out the DH because her only party benefit is "Marked for Death: Death Toll" and maybe "Sentry: Aid Station", but who's going to pick sentry?. Granted if the DH damage is through the roof, yo might want one for focus kills.
  12. Apocalypse

if you couple guiding light with heals on the monk plus the right mantra the monk can be amazing in groups. other skills like inner sanc will really help the ranged in your party. i would like to see a monk,wd,dh and throwing barb
  13. DoxieVon

Monks damage buff's are insane.

24% from Overawe mantra of conviction.
    16% for 15s everytime your healed by the monk... whos heal is on a 15 second cd.
    10% on targets hit by Breaking Wave Crippling wave (one of the monks spamable spirit generators.) for 3s.

Thats an easy sustainable 50% more damage.

If the stars align with spirit generation it might be possible for a monk to also to spirit dump to keep up:

+24% more from Mantra of conviction activation (it does 48% for 3 seconds when you activate it... it has no cd so you could dump spirit to keep this up)
    +12% extra damage taken by target under bleeding palm. (Although wording is odd on this so it might mean something else entirely.)

86% extra damage taken is insane. No other class matches that.
  14. DoxieVon

Also after looking through skills DH will probably be the highest single target damage dealer... although I'm super biased because that's what i observed from the open beta.
  15. Such Violent Storms

Such Violent Storms IncGamers Member

Monks, Barbarians, Wizards.

Mantra buffs are vital, shouts and optional tankiness are great to have. All 3 have high damage.

A DH is useful only for Marked for Death, and a DH can easily replace a Wizard. Marked for Death is still more reliable than a WD's buffs.
  16. beingmused

When you're evaluating skills based on how much they improve the group, Conviction//Overawe is the best skill in the game by far.

What in the world is a Wizard bringing to the party, compared to the Monk?!?
  17. Gnome

Gnome IncGamers Member

lol so apart from barb no one agrees on anything.

will have to just trial stuff
  18. DoxieVon

i was pointing out what great buffs it had for droppin since he wasn't seeing it... Wizards look like they will do insane single target dps and aoe dps... I wanna say every class in the game right now has some way of making a single target take ~20% more damage... so as for your question what in the world is a wizard bringing to the party:

he is bringing the DPS that makes all the monks +% damage taken skills worthwhile :p

Also this is about what will be the best 4 player make up, something that may be impossible to ultimately know, and most certainly wont really matter as blizzard is going to do their best to make sure that all classes remain viable, and with the all of the skill variations that each class has it's likely that any 4 player composition will work out.
  19. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

forget the monk

don't listen to these people that say a monk is a necessity in a party

if you like the monk, play it
    if you like a different class better, then play it instead
  20. DoxieVon

No one is saying its a necessity in a party, only that its the best in at least one spot of the "best" 4 man comp.