Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ber vs Perfect Ruby

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Erfel, Jul 1, 2013. | Replies: 6 | Views: 2770

1. Erfel

Erfel IncGamers Member

First of all... i only play PVM... i'm not talking about pvp.

The most deadly enemies in all game are, in my opinion:

burnign souls
    dolls
    lord de seis + minions with fanaticism

I think that burning souls can be handled with some absorb, so, unless in large groups (or with a conviction aura on you) they're not that hard.

Dolls deal somewher about 500 physical damage.
    A ber in your helm could prevent 500/100*8=40 damage
    A perfect ruby could give you 38 life more
    Dolls could be unique, champions, or you could be cursed --> more life, more damage, more damage reduction from ber
    Life can be increased by cta --> more than 38 life

I can't find the fanaticism level from de seis, so i cannot do the math about them.

Anyway, don't forget that life will save your life also against elemental damage, so... shouldn't a pruby be a better option than a ber? Or else a jah

2. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Your math is only relevant here if you only get hit once. If you have 1500 life, and something deals 520 physical damage to you (assuming no other reduction) you will be dead in 3 hits, even after adding in a perfect ruby. With the Ber rune, you would still be alive.

Lord De Seis is level 88, and I believe aura levels for the highest level auras (conviction and fanat) are mlvl/8 which gives lvl 11 fanaticism.

3. Erfel

Erfel IncGamers Member

Easy and logic, that was a big mistake from me.

Anyway, I'm still not that sure that ber > pruby... especially considering the cost

4. mackscynox

mackscynox IncGamers Member

depends on build and gear actually. on a character using stormshield and perfect string of ears, ber would have no effect (%dr is capped at 50)

other gear, your BO-able life and some skills determine the use. i think about fade for example or triggered fade from a treachery runeword, bone armor (either from necro or bone runeword), high level energy shield probably makes both have no effect on outcoming damage or changes the advantage.

i say socking Ber is for pvp, ruby for pvm.

jah is not bo-able when sock'd on helm. if shield, it is.

5. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Also check FHR tables to see if a Shael will get you to the next breakpoint. Sometimes a shael in helm will free up FHR charms, which can then be replaced by vita charms, best case scenario 2 skillers with FHR (24fhr) can be replaced by shael and with perfect replacement charms this is 90 BO-able life. Also check jewels; sometimes that 7fhr on a jewel is enough, and can come with 3 other affixes as well.

Yet other builds use Raven Frost solely for the CBF. A Cham in the hat then frees up a ring slot.

Mercs (who take full damage from hydras) can often be far better off with Vex (5% max fire res) in either Guardian Angel or hat, pushing fire res to 95%. Monster hydras that hit players suffer the pvp penalty, and thus is harmless with just a little mdr.

If you don't want to use absorb to counter gloams, Lo rune offers the same for lightning resist, although I have never seen this used. Most the characters who face gloams either teleport fast enough to not get hit, or have high enough life/resists that they're not life-threatening.

6. Erfel

Erfel IncGamers Member

Personally, i never had problems with hydras with a complete build... also with andy face and fortitude, at a decent level, the damage dealt by hydras to a merc is pretty inconsistent.

Nice idea to consider shael, though :)

7. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Yeah, helvete has a really good point there.

Ive always tried to experiment with fhr/life, using socketables and charms. In the end you can always add more life with charms.