Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Bearsorc Breakpoints

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Clervis, Mar 23, 2012. | Replies: 10 | Views: 2196

1. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Bearsorc Breakpoints

So we know that the IAS breakpoints are different for a Bearsorc than other sorcs or other bears, but how about other breakpoints. How does being a bear affect the breakpoints for FBR and FHR? Are they the same as a Druid bear, the same as a normal sorc, or are they also completely different?

Also, on a completely different note, how does being frozen affect weapon speed? I know you can take the -target speed of Decrepify or Holy Freeze, or its equivalent from cold damage, to figure out it a negative modifier to IAS, but how is that -IAS applied? Weapon -IAS? Off-weapon -IAS? And how could it potentially be overcome?

Thanks.
  2. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Re: Bearsorc Breakpoints

Wereform FHR/FBR is the same for all classes. Which in the bear's case is unfortunately terrible :p

As for you second question: I've got little knowledge on the technical detais, but you can get a pretty good idea from just playing around with titanseal's IAS calc. Generally speaking the faster your weap is (this includes WSM and on-weapon IAS), the less effect HF and such will have on your attack rate. With slower weapons the impact can be dramatic and it gets especially tough to stack against with off-weapon IAS. What setup did you have in mind?
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  3. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Well, I'm using a bearsorc and I could be wrong, but it seems she's slower than usual when decrepified or holy frozen. So I was thinking it might be an effect of either her exclusively weapon-based IAS, or maybe just the steep IAS curve (from 13 down to 5 fpa). So I was wondering if off-weapon IAS might ameleorate this.
  4. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

totally from memory, but i believe the decrep's slow effect is similar to fanaticism's faster effect. iirc decrep is -33% eias. not sure on being chilled. there's a cool thread buried somewhere in the statistics forum that discusses decrep in detail.
  5. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

Ok. Brass tacks: I'm faced with a trade off defense vs. life for my bearsorc. I have to decide between a roughly 25% lesser chance of being hit (high AC) or roughly 10% increase in life (2700 to 3000). I'm leaning towards the AC, but what would you do?
  6. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Defense always.
    Once you hit the 2000+ life points mark, elemental attacks won't be seriously damaging you. Much better to go for defence.
  7. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

That was my inclination, but it seems people are hell bent on maximizing life these days. So, for my bearsorc hit aversion it a huge thing because block and hit recovery take so long. I'm wearing a Guardian Angel, but I'm considering upping it. It would require about 90 strength devoted just for it, that translates to a loss of 432 life after Werebear. I could Hel it, but I prefer a Cham so that I can swap out a Ravenfrost for BK ring (which would net about the same life). So here are my three options, relatively expressed:

Guardian Angel (Cham) w/ BK ring
    +432 life
    +5% life leech
    +937 ave lightning dam
    +200 ave fire damage

Upped Guardian Angel (Hel) w/ Ravenfrost
    -23% chance to be hit
    +144 life

Upped Guardian Angel (Cham) w/ BK ring
    -23% chance to be hit
    +5% life leech
    +937 ave lightning dam
    +200 ave fire damage

What would you choose? I'm leaning toward the latter.
  8. zaphodbrx

Why are you using guardian angel? For IBR/FBR? What shield are you using? If you're going for dreams setup, I doubt that you'll be able to block effectively with it at all. I would rather go no block with that. If you're using stormshield, then that should anyway give you enough strength to equip the GA hellforge plate. Unless you're doing something stupid, like having the strength for stormshield come from stormshield.
  9. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

It's a Dream Bearsorc. I'm using GA because of the high resists (obviously) and the IBR/FBR. The 20% increase block drops the dex requirement by over 100. It's still a big requirement (about 250 dex) but very little damage actually makes it through. Tack on that she has over 20K defense and she's pretty tenacious. I tried the no block thing, but she was taking way too much damage. Bearsorcs get this reputation for being a tank, but they're actually quite weak in players 8, unless you get the gear just right. They do massive damage, but you have to balance the defenses. I've pretty much got everything down now and she's quite robust. I engineered two builds: Max Block/Leech Bear using GA, and ES/Leech Bear using Gladiators Bane. Both are quite amazing. Neither uses CtA, one uses Memory. Both do about 30K average damage at 5 fpa and can tank Lister's pack no problem in players 8.
  10. zaphodbrx

If you already have 20k def, more def won't help very much. I thought you had rather less.
    And to be honest, I think even 20k def is overkill. My barb has 11k def, and most monsters have < 30% chance to hit on him, he does fine even without any shield. That may be mainly because of the leech though.
    I suggest going for a little more leech which may help. Use 'grief' phaseblade instead of 'Crescent Moon' phaseblade, and hire a might merc. Dracs may help too.
  11. Clervis

Clervis IncGamers Member

No I'm a bear sorc so I use a 105 ias griz caddy (some use a 95 ias pb). Only these will get me that 5 fpa while in bear form. I do use dracs, but it suffers from two main problems: everything dies in one or two hits and I have relatively low physical damage (about 600). I hit that 20K defense with the upped GA (about 10K before). But the leech problems are primarily why I need better defenses, which now seem to be under control.