Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Battle.net?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Ergroilnin, Feb 11, 2013. | Replies: 19 | Views: 1812

1. Ergroilnin

Ergroilnin IncGamers Member

Hi there guys. So i've been thinking that I could maybe pour countless hours in Diablo II. So the question is: Does Battle.net still run for diablo II: LoD? Are there any plans by Blizzard for taking it down? If it still is working and they're not going to shut it down... How many ppl do still play? Espc on hardcore?
  2. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

Theres still realm and ladder games on bnet. the most active board for it is probably the official forums hosted by blizzard. People come here to read the strategy guides. its easy to see that lots of people still play, and easy to find the most active realms by checking the bnet ladder rankings and seeing what level you need to crack it. Hardcore is less active than softcore. Useast has had problems with game creation and joining games failing, so im on uswest lod softcore ladder where everything is active and stable.
  3. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

Also, the d2 community on this site is mostly single player, LAN, and mods like Eastern Sun (ES). If you go to the single player forums, its surprisingly active. I never got into it mostly because it just seemed to inconveinent to reliably find people to play with compred to bnet. Realm play discussion is on the official forums, as i said.
  4. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

I would advise joining us in SP, but make sure you check the FAQ to see what modifications etc are acceptable.

I swapped from Bnet to SP because of all the bots and maphacks etc, never looked back.
  5. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

I have to advise not to play single player. D2 is VASTLY more fun because of battle.net. Battle.net is very active and its great to hop into games and meet new people at any time of the day. Single Player requires too much organization to put groups together, and people have their own special rules and idea how to play. There are different mods, meaning you can't play with everyone.
  6. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

Single player uses an IM (internet messenger) interface to form groups called hamachi. That's cool, but in this day and age, I think you need to interface that with the website. For an example of how this can be done, look at http://elitistjerks.com/ where the right sidebar is the IM interface. It actually shows who is on IM in real-time. That way a quick check of the web sidebar can tell you whos online, whos in an active in-game group, whos interested in doing what, etc.
  7. Kitteh

I was advising SP as an alternative to MP on Bnet. Bnet used to be great, but it is ruined by all the hacks and bots and general poor attitude. SP is also more of a challenge as all people do on Bnet seems to be Baal runs and MF. SP opens up a whole new world of Diablo 2. For example, a 99er on Bnet is barely an achievement at all, whereas on SP it is a great achievement, and its the same for almost everything. Especially if you play self found. I don't doubt that Bnet has a few advantages, but it really has no challenge.
  8. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

I tried SP for a while, but didn't stick with it. You feel too isolated for my taste; on Bnet there's a sense that you're part of a larger world - that your game is merely one room in a vast mansion filled with similar rooms, any of which you can enter at will. I also love fast-paced trading on Bnet, hunting for good deals and haggling. Other than these two aspects SP is superior in every way - static maps, /players8, no lag or dc, etc. You should try both and then make your call.
  9. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

Yes. I believe Blizzard management misvalued its company. The games were good, even very good. But the TRUE value of the company was bnet 1.0. That thing made generating a community very smooth, and its the social aspect that really drove the popularity of warcraft, diablo, and starcraft. World of Warcraft, while not on bnet, had its own robust social tools that did the same thing. SC2 and D3 suffer by being on bnet 2.0, which has primitive to nonexistent social tools, and thus lack the community support. But that Blizzard's error....they thought it was all about the games and not battle.net.
  10. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

If Blizzard changed nothing about d3, and instead overhauled bnet 2.0 to give it proper social tools, the game would be much better. Unfortunately, as we look at patch 1.07, they are completely missing the target. There are no improvements to make bnet 2.0 more social. Its all about changing the game. Thats not going to work when people still feel isolated.
  11. Kitteh

I don't doubt that Bnet drove the popularity of Diablo 2 through the roof, only an idiot would deny that. However, most Diablo 2 players don't 'play the game'. Most probably can't even tell you all the quests, they just get a character rushed and then do Baal runs etc. What I'm saying, is that SP offers a richer and far more rewarding challenge. I would like to mention though, that the one thing I think Bnet is superior in regards to, is the ladder resets. Even then, only for about two weeks, because then its ruined by the bots etc. I guess SP and Bnet are in effect, two very 'different' Diablo 2 worlds. One is about the game and playing it, learning it. The other is about playing WITH people (we also MP, and its incredibly easy to do) and in a sense, prestige.

How many Bnet players do you think know the mechanics of the game? I mean the real mechanics, the in depth stuff. I'm not saying Bnet is bad (in essence, its awful these days, but the original Bnet obviously has it's own riches), rather that its a very watered down version of the game. Bnet players don't realise how much they miss, how much challenge there is in SP. How many Bnet players have taken an untwinked, single pass, hardcore concentrate barbarian through the game at players8? There is so much more for them to explore outside of Bnet.

We also have tournaments with interesting restrictions such as melee only, and only with a wand, or rare items only, or crafts only. We actually do these things in hardcore, and it saddens me that so many players never take the chance to enjoy these things.
  12. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

Im a very extroverted person and when you give me two play options and one has drastically more people than the other, i go where theres more people. Gaming + social interaction is better. I find having lots of people play, and having it on-demand as realms always have players on, make it a vastly richer environment
  13. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

That is all well and good, and I enjoy a challenge too; but that's not what I play D2 for. I play D2 to melt face and get rich in runes. I do like to try out new builds but they have to be *efficient*. Irl, I can control almost nothing about my life, so in D2 I wish to be in total control, and it facilitates that very well if you have a powerful enough character.

Conversely, in D3 I can't even teleport between acts (or freely in the world for that matter!), I get the lame story shoved in my face every minute, bosses are not automatic loot showers compared to mobs (a huge draw in D2 imo), and ofc the social interface problems that we've been talking about (mainly that it's *non-existent*... -.-)... The only thing D3 got right was the smooth feel of the combat. Lift that into D2 (with D2 runspeed and teleport), fix the decade-old bugs and I'll spend ten years of my life with a drooling troll-smile on my face. Sadly when dreams and reality collide it's 99% fatality rate for the former.

On the subject of HC, I've tried it a few times, but one stunlock stair trap with 0% fhr is all it takes for a guy with my frustrations to throw his mouse at the keyboard (two birds with one stone, heh). Ofc on Bnet lag and dc and pk make HC a futile proposition to begin with. Even in sp there's the danger of a random Windows/virus update, although I suppose you could cut yourself some slack in this regard.
  14. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

One method of hc is to only play when grouped, that way even if you die, the other person should be able to loot your corpse and get your stuff back. Not in every case if you die in a bad spot, but its a chance of recovery.
  15. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

I suppose so, but you'd have to have good friends whom you can trust. These forums would be good for that, but I'm not sure there's much activity as HC had a small playerbase to begin with. There's also the fact that sometimes there's not anyone online at the right hour. Finally, even though I enjoy trading on Bnet and the occasional rush etc, I still like to play by myself most of the time.

I've actually never finished the game on HC in all these years. Not even Normal diff. The most I got was maybe lvl 25. I just don't see the point. One Extra Fast Extra Strong LE pack is all it takes to do you in, or a stair trap. Forget even mentioning D3 and HC in the same sentence. Can you spell Ra-Ka-Noth or Be-Li-Al, in conjunction with Un-Twink-Ed? :whistling: And DC's the same in any language, a giant 'F U' on a pitch black sky. I don't mean to hate on HC, it's just not my cup of pesticide. :smug:
  16. Kitteh

In single player, the games pauses if the window is minimized :)

Thanks for the good discussion guys, usually this stuff just gets all flamy!
  17. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

I seem to remember reading some horror stories to the contrary... Maybe it was changed in a patch at some point? If it is indeed the case, then I might actually consider finishing HC once, just to round up my D2 experience. What char/build would you recommend for a first-timer? I'm thinking Barb because it has the most hp, but then starting without gear might make it unviable. Sorc is way too fragile... Maybe a Pally with Holy Freeze? :scratchchin: What have you had the easiest time with?
  18. Kitteh

Most of my untwinked hardcore characters have been less popular builds such as tesladins, vengers, hydraorbs, magezon etc. They're certainly fun (I've deeds more than I've guardianed!), but personally I like HF zealots; safe, fun and strong.

Link to my mini-guide. I'm not great at writing guides, but if you read the responses, you'll pick up extra information/ideas that aren't in the mini-guide :)

Also definitely worth a read.
  19. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

Thank you for the links; once I finish Dark Souls I just might give D2 HC a go. :thumbup:
  20. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

Hmm. If i had to play single player hardcore normal difficulty, id probably pick a bone spear necro. id start by pumping teeth since it synergizes with bone spear. Then at level 18 id start pumping bone spear. 1 point clay golem. Shop drognan for a +3 bone spear wand. Later shop for a decrepify wand on switch unless you find a necro shield with it. Andy is easy enough without using skills. Duriel just needs a shield and rejuvs all across your belt. fire bone spear across the moat to kill meph. Diablo is the tough solo kill in normal but you can decrepify him and slow him further with your clay golem and kill him from range with bone spear if anything goes wrong. Baal is the same as diablo except youre stronger.Bone spear isnt great in endgame but its good for normal.