Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Bashiok on endgame

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by Majaii, Jul 5, 2012. | Replies: 82 | Views: 6575

1. Majaii

Majaii IncGamers Member

Has anyone else read this? I saw a news article about it and came here expecting to see a bunch of discussion but didn't find anything. (I don't know how to make this blue, sorry).

Reference link:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6019511928#17

Thoughts?

-Majaii
  2. Deckard Cain

Deckard Cain IncGamers Member

It is on the front page however....

I would like to hear some blizzard apologists opinion on it. How about the people saying D3 end game is A-OK now that blizzard has come out and said it isn't so great.
  3. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

There were people who said D3 has an ok end-game?
  4. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

I posted my comment on this on the front page.

All I really have to say is -- and I'm reiterating my comment from said front page post -- Blizzard must've gotten some really unhappy news about something to make a statement like this. Whatever else your feelings on them, you have to admit that they rarely, if ever, display a remorseful/regretful public face, and this almost feels unprecedented. I wonder what it was that made them come out and say this -- but whatever it was, it's probably big.
  5. Deckard Cain

I'm as shocked as you, but I have been told that end game complaints have no basis, and the end game is JUST FINE!

6. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

Probably because after inferno got nerfed, more people are reaching it and finishing it quicker than expected.
  7. Deckard Cain

I would argue that inferno is not a viable end game to begin with. Bashiok was initially quoted as saying that 'Inferno is not interesting or fun as the only type of end game' and this was when INFERNO WAS NEW (as in flat line difficulty). Then Inferno got changed to Hell+, and turns out it isn't very much interesting or fun either.

8. AnimeCraze

Ya, the change of inferno to hell+ instead of the flat-line dungeon with random monster was kind of disappointing, to be honest. They also need something for people to really work towards, like some sort of Uber quest or something.
  9. Majaii

Majaii IncGamers Member

Ah, my apologies. I am old school and didn't even know we had blog posts/news as I only ever come straight to the forum. A mod can delete this if it is redundant.

10. lorieninfl

lorieninfl IncGamers Member

Blizzard made several failings with D3:

1 - their internal playtesters suck. They were given the best gear and couldn't beat inferno? Really? Stuck on "bosses" for hours? Really?

2 - they completely underestimated how people would use the AH. It clearly pushed the curve forward and let people finish inferno too quickly. It created 2 classes of players: those who couldn't progress because they couldn't get drops normally without farming a lot (blizzard's intent) and those who just upgraded via the AH (blizzard's result) and finished too quickly. To placate group A, they made the 1.0.3 and drop rate changes; which made the latter upset cuz their money was, essentially wasted. I think this is why so many are upset; they bought their stuff early and wanted to profit off it later via the RMAH while the former was still struggling. And this opportunity was removed.

I'm curious how Blizzard feels knowing that their own fan base, essentially, lied to them about enjoying the item hunt in D2? Clearly, they didn't enjoy it or so many wouldn't have taken the quick road - buying gear to get thru the game as quickly as possible.
  11. AnimeCraze

Didn't people just corpse flop their way to the bosses in Inferno pre-1.0.3?

Maybe Blizzard should listen less to their fan base? Steve Jobs' quote on Henry Ford: If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.

12. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

The item hunt would work fine if the items themselves were fine.
  13. Deckard Cain

I love this comparison.

Henry Ford gives us the assembly line and makes automobiles more affordable. Revolutionary.

Blizzard gives us inferno mode which is a harder version of what we already had. Grats.

14. AnimeCraze

Truth be told, it's not that the item mods themselves were junk, but the percentages of many of the mods are simply crap. Give me a 30% chance of freeze, even if it is reduced to 1/10 of its value vs champs.

15. Carisma

Carisma IncGamers Member

You are comparing something that was advancing technology in a more profitable, productive, and presentable ways; to a entertainment company who released an unfinished game. Not even close to being the same thing.

Blizzard probably as seen fast declining numbers online, reading the "vocal minority" complaints online, and realized their heads where up their buts the whole time and is trying to work damage control. I am certain they had a goal for how much profit they would make, and they probably are not even coming close.

16. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

You're incorrect with half of that. They were given RANDOM gear, not the best, and couldn't clear it. I remember nothing indicating that their playtesters actually had the best gear available and still couldn't advance. And as you can tell, the difference between "random" and "awesome" is huge, even if random means "class-appropriate gear of random quality" instead of just purely random stats.

I'm sure their playtesters still do suck, but I doubt they sucked so much as to have best-in-slot items in all slots and still be unable to beat Inferno bosses. But I'm happy to change my mind about the former if you have a quote indicating they couldn't beat the game with best-in-slot gear.

17. Deckard Cain

The fact that their 'balancing' was , AND I QUOTE, - "we took what our playtesters could handle, and DOUBLED IT" should do enough to explain how absolutely putrid the playtesting was.

18. AnimeCraze

And the truth is, vocal minority is vocal minority. The silent majority does not care about inferno, just like the majority of SC2 players do not care about PvP. The things they did not listen to the fan base for, ie. Norm to Hell, was well done.

19. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

Fully agree - I just had a bone to pick with someone saying something incorrect, to the best of my knowledge. Like I said, their playtesting is shameful, one way or another.

20. Deckard Cain

A minority so small that they have announced big changes to legendaries, and just recently comments that the end game is lacking.:scratchhead: