Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Base mana regen?

Discussion in 'Witch Doctor' started by mike20599, Apr 7, 2012. | Replies: 12 | Views: 5873

1. mike20599

mike20599 Banned

Base mana regen?

Does anyone know what the Witch Doctor's base mana regen is? Is it percentage based?
  2. LucianDK

LucianDK IncGamers Member

Re: Base mana regen?

Heard the base number is 20mps, and appearently mana regeneration doesnt cease while you are casting. So spells that costs below base regen would be infinitely spammable, especially since costs doesnt increase per level.

A wd appears to start with 200 mana and gaining 30 per level, so at 60 you would sit at nearly 2000 mana baseline. That would increasingly require stronger mana recovery skills in order not to constantly waste time on downtime while recuperating, and placing much greater emphasis on abilities that scale with max mana such as gruesome feast, which returns 10% of max mana each time you are healed by a health globe and synergizing extremely well with blood ritual to ensure you never will be fully topped up and always can draw benefit from a health globe.

Spirit Walk runed with Honored Guest would be an extremely effective way of recuperating lots of mana fast, giving you 15% max mana per second Spirit walk is active, lasting for 2 seconds with 15s CD
  3. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

I wonder how skills costs scale up with your leveling. Or, do they even?
  4. LucianDK

Skil costs does -NOT- scale. Anything that costs below your mps regeneration level is infinite to spam.
  5. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Hey LucianDK - the WD's resource system has gone under quite a few iterations. Currently, skill costs DO SCALE. Although some scale more harshly than others.

For example, Corpse Spiders starts out at 2 mana and ends up being 4 mana at lvl 60. Not much of a difference. But something like Firebats starts out around 55 mana and ends up being 122 at lvl 60.

Base mana regen is 20/sec

Base mana is 150.

Mana per level is +10.

Hope that's useful :)

One other thing to keep in mind is the cast rate of spells. If your mana regen is 20/sec and you have a spammy spell that costs 15 mana to use, it is likely that it will NOT be infinitely spammable because you'll probably be doing roughly 1.5 casts per second.
  6. LucianDK

Interesting, that is news to me. If mana costs do scale then it places even more importance on mana regen abilities and passives. Can you confirm if mana regen continues even when casting, or not?
  7. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Yeah it continues when casting - I don't think I've played a game where mana DOESN'T regen when casting :p.

The WD's mana costs started off with scaling, then went to non-scaling for just a couple patches, and now is back to scaling again. I think Blizzard experimented with a non-scaling system but found that it couldn't work.

I wrote an explanation of why mana costs need to scale here: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/...ng-messed-up&p=8250501&highlight=#post8250501

TLDR; No-runes, No-passives Wizard at lvl 60 will still only be able to cast 3 Arcane Orbs before needing to recharge as she would at lvl 5. A No-runes No-passives lvl 60 WD (WITHOUT scaling mana costs) would be able to cast 8 Zombie Chargers before running out of mana, even though he'd only be able to cast 3 before needing to recharge at lvl 14 (a balanced amount so early in the game). The WD's potential for upfront damage when he unloads his whole mana pool would have just been too high.
  8. LucianDK

wow for example have had many restrictions on mana regen while casting.
  9. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

I think what you mean is not "wow for example", but just "wow" :p.
  10. Horcsog

Horcsog IncGamers Member

11. Horcsog

Horcsog IncGamers Member

1 more question, if I have more than 50% hp when I enter Spirit Walk it ends right away?
  12. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

No, it won't. Note, that the tooltip states, that your physical body (which you leave behind where you stood when you used Spirit Walk) will have to suffer damage equaling to 50% of your max HP for it to end and not that you have to fall below 50% HP.
  13. Horcsog

Horcsog IncGamers Member

thx my Hungarian friend!