Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Barbarian skill questions & general advice

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by gedda-d-e, Jun 9, 2013. | Replies: 9 | Views: 4285

1. gedda-d-e

gedda-d-e IncGamers Member

Ladies & Gentlemen,

My first char was a barbarian, but I hit 60 in the first or second patch, and with it basically a brick wall in A2 Inferno. Since the then I have played up a WD, Wiz and DH to their 60s and slowly been gearing my barb with the items I've collected. I want to get back on him again, starting with completing the game.

I have been playing around with my passives a bit and I have a question regarding Weapons Master, if I am dual wielding, do I get both bonuses? In my case, IAS & Crit..

Also, I am really struggling to keep WOTB up, do I have to go down the WW route to make it last? For questing up to lvl 60, I used Earthquake & Bash/HOTA, worked well for me in the previous patches - anyone still play those skills?

Here is my Barb, if anyone has any input please do let me know!

TheHoff

Thanks!

/g

2. Steven Hazani

Steven Hazani IncGamers Member

Only main hand counts.

EQ is outdated, Rend is better. HotA is good, Bash is... better than Frenzy.

I'm not sure you have the stats to use ww and hammer though. So which do you like more, maneuverability or survivability?

Also, you can upgrade your shoulders cheap via AH or crafts, you can get a lot of life this way so you don't need vit gems. Same for pants - trade a little str for a lotta vit then switch to rubies and get it back.

3. mojolevel

mojolevel IncGamers Member

I used Bash/HOTA (more recently I've been using Frenzy/HOTA) and I can keep up WOTB pretty well. It's no perma-WOTB like what you get out of a sprint/WW build, but it's a hell of a lot more fun. I would think that especially with the new density changes and shorter distances between mobs you should be able to sustain WOTB for fairly lengthy periods.

I also agree with Steven Hazani; you should look into crafting some shoulders and even bracers. With the crafting changes we got a few patches ago you can get relatively cheap upgrades - especially for your bracers - that will make a big difference in power and survivability. And you'd definitely benefit from swapping out those pants for pants with less strength and a lot more vit. I used to use a pair with 60 strength and 210 vitality. You can make up the lost strength with rubies, and that extra vitality will go a long way.

Good luck!

4. Steven Hazani

Another thing. You have no move speed whatsoever. First, how can you stand it? Second, max move speed is required to get much use out of Wrath.

Ice Climbers with MS are likely outside your budget, so that means you need any two of Lacuni's/Inna's/some other boot with MS. Most Barbs like Inna's pants. I don't recommend it, as provided you can hit your WW BPs without the ias from Inna's pants using them actually causes you to lose DPS and EHP compared to rares, particularly if you also end up using Lacuni's instead of a stat stack craft. Even though Ice Climbers are great stat stack boots they won't make up for two other weak slots, and getting good Barb Lacuni's or Inna's (or both) will be far more expensive than Ice Climbers with MS.

5. JEB90

JEB90 IncGamers Member

I'm going to give the alternate view: it's very hard to beat the combo of good crafted bracers, str Lacuni's pants, and Ice Climbers with ms. It's also VERY expensive to beat. Good barb Lacuni's are among the highest priced items out there. Until you can afford good ice climbers, IK boots are a very serviceable stand in.

6. gedda-d-e

Thanks for the replies all!

I played my way through inferno today, testing various skills and combos out. I settled on Frenzy/WW, leaving out Sprint all together. I plow down most regular mobs, but struggle with my fury build up (I am yet to play with Bash & WW though) and dealing with ranged elite packs, or any pack that is being supported by another ranged pack - I guess that comes down to no shield!

I do feel the lack of Vit is hurting me though, played on MP1 & 2 but took a serious beating from the heavier monsters, also played around with my sockets to get a ruby in my helm which didn't help my cause! Did find a nice pair of IK gloves on my way to Azmodan though, so my damage has gone up despite loosing the rubies in my body armor.

@Hazani: I've never owned a decent pair of MS boots so I wouldn't be able to tell, I have been using sprint for a boost but that is about it. Finding IK boots made me look at the rest of the set though, and as JEB90 mentioned, the IK boots have MS.

As for my items & gear however, no I don't have a lot of money to spend but also I try and play self found, bar some items I have been given/traded for. Which makes it quite difficult.. I will try and have a look at crafting new shoulder/braces however, I think I have the new vit plans for both. What do you reckon I should aim for? Keep in mind I am only paragon 7 atm, my life pool will grow as I level up!

Thanks again for the replies!

/g

7. Steven Hazani

Most of your fury comes from Sprint. That's why.

Every good boots and many bad ones have innate ms but also lower stats than ice climbers. So it's a trade off, that said rare pants are cheap and so are non crit lacuni's. The sooner you speed up the better, especially with ww.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  8. mojolevel

mojolevel IncGamers Member

I recommend you try crafting strength bracers and vitality shoulders. Strength bracers will give you the highest possible strength rolls for that slot. Shoulders on the other hand have an inherently higher strength cap than they do other main stats. Regularly speaking, shoulders can roll up to 300 strength (all other main stats cap at 200), so here you're better served trying to roll high vitality shoulders because if you get lucky, you'll end up with high strength AND high vitality, rather than just high strength if you were to craft strength-based shoulders. For instance, the vitality shoulders I use on my barb have 240 strength and 225 vitality. It will take you longer to get the right roll, but ultimately it will have a higher pay off. Of course in the meantime if you want to play around with rolling strength shoulders simply as an improvement over your Vile's, that might not be a terrible thing either, because the minimum strength roll on strength shoulders is still slightly higher than your Vile's.

9. gedda-d-e

Thanks for the replies again, I've been doing some leveling (slow and steady wins the race etc etc) but I am quite comfortable in a full MP4-5 game. Where I get pounded or fall behind is when there are not enough mobs to keep my fury up or where there is a lot of heavy elemental & arcane damage.

@Hazani found a pair of lacunis luckily so I am not replacing my ice climbers just yet, the trade-offs for IK are just too great. Are there breakpoints for MS I need to aim for?

@Mojo ofcourse those are two plans I have not found yet! I found another two vile wards though, and one was str+vit, a small upgrade for damage but roughly 3k more life. As per above, I also came across lacuni, lost quite a bit of damage but I am trying out getting my MS up for now. What kind of life pool should I be aiming for? I have seen anything from 40-75k on barbs here or that I have played with, but I have no idea what is a good region to aim for. My plan is to get 10-15 more paragon levels and then try get myself a hellfire ring, so I am looking at soloing higher MP settings.

Thanks.

/g

10. Steven Hazani

Max is 25%, you can get 12% * 3. So pick any 2 of lacuni/inna pants/ms boots.

And HP doesn't matter, effective HP does. If your armor/res are low even with 100k life you'll die constantly. If high 40-50k means not dying. It also depends on your dps and ls. High dps/ls = you heal from near dead to full in < 1 sec. Low = you are much more easily worn down.

You have 644k EHP. By comparison mine is 831k. But my DPS is about 70% higher and ls is more than 2.5x yours. So while you can be fine in MP 4-5 and survive but not kill well in 6-7 your low recovery will hold you back.