Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Barbarian Reaper of Souls Datamined Skill Changes

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Flux, Sep 15, 2013. | Replies: 23 | Views: 51470

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Digging through the hay stack of datamined skill strings, I wanted to sort them out and put them into order so as to better get a sense of what's changing. The DM print out lists a lot of skills that are only changed in wording, so I didn't include those here. Only skills that have changes in function.

Welcome to the bold new world of Life from Fury Spent!

Other classes:

Standard disclaimer: all figures are from pre-beta Reaper of Souls and there will definitely be big changes between now and launch.

Barbarian Passives:

Ruthless: (DB)
    You deal 40% additional damage to enemies below 30% health.

• (Old: Critical Hit Chance increased by 5%. Critical Hit Damage increased by 50%.)

Weapons Master: (DB)
    Gain a bonus based on the weapon type of your main hand weapon:

• Swords/Daggers: 8% increased damage. (Old 15%)
    • Maces/Axes: 5% Critical Hit Chance (Old 10%)
    • Polearms/Spears: 10% attack speed
    • Mighty Weapons: 3 Fury per hit

Bloodthirst: (DB)
    Each point of Fury spent heals you for 165 Life. Heal amount is increased by 1% of your Health Globe Healing Bonus.

• Old: Gain 3% of all damage done as Life.

No Escape: (DB)
    Increase the damage of Weapon Throw and Ancient Spear by 20% against enemies more than 25 yards away from you.

• (Old: Increases the damage of Ancient Spear and Weapon Throw by 10%. In addition, a Critical Hit with Ancient Spear resets the cooldown while Critical Hits with Weapon Throw have a chance to return 14 Fury.)

____________________Three new Barb passives:______________________

Rampage:
    • Increase Strength by 4% for 8 seconds after killing or assisting in killing an enemy. This effect stacks up to 5 times.

Sword and Board

• Blocking an attack generates 20 Fury.

Absorb

• Reduce all damage taken by 826.

I assume the number on Absorb is temp or an error in the datamining. There has to be a % there, eh?

Barbarian Active Skills:
    Ones not listed aren't changed in the available pre-beta build:

Bash: (DB)
    Generate: 8 Fury per attack. Brutally smash an enemy for 165% weapon damage. (Old: 20% chance to knockback was removed.)
    • None of the skill runes are changed in anything but wording; the numbers are all the same.

War Cry: (DB)
    • Invigorate: Increase maximum Life by 10% and Life regeneration by 1651 per second while affected by War Cry. (Old regen was 620 life per second.)
    Seems like a pretty powerful boost to life. And you might need it with much of the formerly-easy life leech removed from the class.

Ignore Pain: (DB) (Base function unchanged.)

• Mob Rule: Allies within 50 yards also benefit from Ignore Pain. (Old: Extend the effect to nearby allies, reducing damage taken by 65% for 5 seconds.)
    • Bravado: Breaks the effects of Root, Stun, Fear, Immobilized, and Snare. (Old: When activated, Knockback all enemies within 12 yards deal 50% weapon damage to them.)
    • Ignorance is Bliss: While Ignore Pain is active, gain 289 Life per Fury spent. (Old: While Ignore Pain is active, gain 20% of all damage dealt as Life.)

Ancient Spear: (DB)

Throw a spear that pierces enemies and deals 200% weapon damage. Cost: 20 Fury:
    (Old: Throw a spear to pull an enemy back to you, briefly slowing the target's movement by 60% and dealing 185% weapon damage. Generate: 15 Fury. Cooldown: 10 seconds).
    • Harpoon: Add a chain to the spear to drag all enemies all back to you and Slow them.
    • Grappling Hooks: Throw 3 spears. Each spear will pull back the enemies that it hits.
    • Jagged Edge: Increase the damage to 260% weapon damage. (old: Dread Spear: Gain Life equal to 60% of the damage inflicted.) (Another Life Steal effect bites the dust.)
    • Ranseur: Enemies hit are carried by the spear and knocked back. (Old: Increases Fury gained to 30.)
    • Rage Flip: Add a chain to the spear to throw all enemies hit behind you and Slow them. (Old: Enemies hit with Ancient Spear are pulled in the opposite direction and damage is increased to 213% weapon damage.)

Furious Charge: (DB)
    Rush forward knocking back and dealing 195% weapon damage to enemies along your path. (No change but the wording.)
    Generate: 15 Fury -- Cooldown: 10 seconds.
    • Dreadnought: All enemies hit are pulled to your destination. (Old: Regain 8% of your maximum Life for each target hit by Furious Charge.)
    (No other rune effects are changed except in wording.)

Battle Rage: (DB)
    Enter a rage which increases your damage by 15% and Critical Hit Chance by 3% for 120 seconds. Cost: 20 Fury. (Unchanged.)
    • Into the Fray: Gain 1% Critical Hit Chance for each enemy within 10 yards while under the effects of Battle Rage. (Old: Critical Hits have a chance to generate 15 additional Fury.)

Wrath of the Berserker: (DB)
    Enter a berserker rage which raises several attributes for 15 seconds.
    Cost: 50 Fury. Cooldown: 2 Minutes. Critical Hit Chance: +10%. Attack Speed: +25%. Dodge Chance: +20% Movement Speed: +20% (All unchanged.)
    • Thrive on Chaos: Gain 248 Life per Fury spent while under the effects of Wrath of the Berserker (Old: Every 25 Fury gained while Wrath of the Berserker is active adds 1 second to the duration of the effect.)

(The other rune effects are unchanged.)

Weapon Throw: (DB)
    Hurl a throwing weapon at an enemy fordealing 130% weapon damage and Slowing movement speed by 60% for 2 seconds.

Generate: 5 Fury per attack (Formerly this cost 10 Fury to use.)
    • Balanced Weapon: Increase Fury generated to 8.
    Balanced Weapon replaces Dread Bomb, which seems to be entirely removed. The other rune effects are unchanged.

• Old -- Dread Bomb: Expend all remaining Fury to throw a corpse which inflicts an additional 3% weapon damage for each point of Fury expended to all enemies within 12 yards of the target.

Rend: (DB)
    A sweeping strike causes all nearby enemiesenemies within 12 yards to Bleed for 700% weapon damage as Physical over 5 seconds.
    Cost: 20 Fury. (Unchanged.)
    • Blood Lust: Heal for 0.5% of your maximum Life per second for each affected enemy. (Old: Gain 9% of the damage done by Rend as Life.

Frenzy (DB)
    No function changes; just wording.

Call of the Ancients: (DB)
    Cost: 50 Fury. Cooldown: 120 seconds
    Summon the ancient Barbarians Talic, Korlic, and Madawc to fight alongside you for (Old 15) 30 seconds. Each deals (Old 60%) 100% weapon damage per swing in addition to bonus abilities. Talic wields a sword and shield and uses the Whirlwind skill. Korlic wields a massive polearm and uses the Cleave skill. Madawc dual-wields axes and uses the Weapon Throw skill.
    • The Council Rises: The Ancients deal 110% (old 66%) weapon damage with each attack and gain 100% additional Armor.
    • Duty to the Clan: : Increase duration to 35 seconds. (Old was 20 seconds.)

Seismic Slam: (DB)
    Slam the ground and cause a wave of destruction that deals 240% weapon damage and 8 yard Knockback to enemies in a 45 yard arc.
    Cost: 30 Fury. (Newly added the 8 yard part; no distance was specified before.)

• Strength from the Earth: Gain 2% of your maximum Life for every enemy hit. (Old: Reduce Fury cost to 15 Fury.)

Whirlwind: (DB)
    Deliver multiple attacks to everything in your path for 145% weapon damage. While whirlwinding, you move at 66% movement speed.
    Cost: 10 Fury (Newly added the 66% speed part, but that's just a change in the description, not the function.)
    • Hurricane: Pull enemies from up to 45 yards away towards you while Whirlwinding. (Old: Allows you to move at your movement speed while using Whirlwind.)

Sprint: (DB)

No changes at all.

Revenge: (DB)

No changes but to skill wording.

Overpower: (DB)
    Cooldown: 12 seconds / Deal 165% weapon damage to all targets within 9 yards. Critical Hits have a chance to reduce the cooldown of Overpower by 1 second. (Only changed in wording.)
    • Revel: Increase damage to 215% weapon damage. (Old: Heal 8% of your maximum Life for every enemy hit.)
    • Crushing Advance: Redirect 35% of incoming melee damage back to the attacker for 4 seconds after Overpower is activated. (Old: worked against ranged damage also.)

Conclusion:

I've been making jokes about OPBs for months, but even I am surprised at the amount of nerfing here. A few minor skill buffs to unused skills, but huge nerfs to the 2 most popular (and wildly OP) passives, and big drops to Life Steal and healing all over the place. Those surprise me more: it was very obvious that Barbs were way OP on the ease with which they could get giant DPS, but I didn't think the healing was too OP, except that LS was so easy and with the huge DPS it was magnified. I'd think that just removing some of the big DPS would take care of the all-too-easy healing at the same time.

That said, remember that we'll be able to add considerable bonuses to CD, CC, mainstat and much mroe via the Paragon 2.0 points, so some nerfs to all classes are probably needed to offset those big damage boosters.

Source: Datamining.
  2. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

Re: Barbarian RoS Datamined Skill Changes

Kind of weird that now you can basically Weapon Throw as a generator/main attack for more damage than Cleave/Frenzy.

The Barb ends up having a "free" ranged attack that is more powerful than most other "free" attacks this way. I don't know if this will lead people to use it, especially since Ricochet is kind of underwhelming, but it's such an un-Barb thing to emphasize, from a flavor perspective.
  3. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

I'm still happy with everything.
    A) things can/will change after update/xpac
    B) More variety in gear affixwise
    C) We get a mystic for extra gearstats
    D) It is impossible to turn the barb into a wimpclass
  4. Kingu

Kingu IncGamers Member

With no info the Fray but with weapon throw, i see Throw barb with ancient spear or seismic as build base, that i look into.
    Bash is not nostalgic bash anymore.
    Looks promising to me.
  5. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Yay, they seem to be adding missing stuff to every tooltip like range! I'm a happy camper.

No % needed, just a higher value. I think absorb will be kinda like a permanent block, which also has a flat value. 826 damage reduction could be actually fairly significant in the current version of the game if you consider that shields block about 3k damage 30% of times on average. Of course in the expansion we'll probably have better shields, so Absorb's value does seem really low now.

There's an affix among the datamined stuff that will make the Ancients last until their HP is gone.

Yeah, but LS is largely replaced by Life per Fury spent. Since Fury generation is also straightened up I think this time around resource management will be the key to survival. We'll see.
  6. mortuus

mortuus Diablo: IncGamers Member

great they destroyed that build now didnt they :(
  7. Mortalo

Mortalo IncGamers Member

Strength from earth - thay adding leg that makes SS cost 15, so no big change here.
    Ancient Spear - will have to change it with Weapon throw, but fury gen is not big, maybe will put other skill.
    Into the Fray - ? Now every thing goes down. I was using Seismic Slam build centered at SS and spaming it all the time. This makes me to use WT to gen fury which is not exactly what I liked in it.
    Bash, SS, WT, Battle Rage (?), Smash, WotB - it looks like really weird build.

It's clearly written "Health Globe Healing Bonus" - it's an affix :) Currently have 10k, so it gives me additional 100 life per fury.
  8. TheMythe

I think that was their goal yeah, so mission accomplished.
    Barbarians all over the globe will now start to find a new best build upon skill finalization ;)

Think I'll keep my overpower/revel though...
  9. Volapyk

Volapyk IncGamers Member

I will start off by admiting that I have always loved to hate the op of the barbs previously, but still this does seem a bit harsh. Then again the infinite fury generation with fury on crit had to go with all this Life per Fury they have added. One thing though, have anyone compared this sort of life gain to the monks life per spirit? It seems somewhat... Odd that the barbs get this monk function and then just get it at 3 times the values, and fury also does seem easier to get than spirit. It just leads me to think that this function will see some major changes for the monks (major as in either basic function change or massive number boosts) to remain comparable.

Also I'm looking forward to trying the pull function with WW, will probably make it much easier to clear things up quickly when you dont have to go to them but rather bring the monsters to you :) (That and a lot of fun to see them flying into your whirling blades of pure destruction)
  10. TheMythe

That does seems like fun to me as well, especially if there is a vague huge hurricane visual showing the borders of the 45 yard radius! However, with all the furygain bonus gone it'll be hard to WW for a long time :/
  11. Mortalo

Mortalo IncGamers Member

Revenge's Vengeance is mine gives fury, so maybe using it can help or Furious Charge's Stamina rune.
    This changes looks very interesting, making the game quite different for most.
  12. HardRock

Furious Charge's Merciless Assault can also be used to generate a lot Fury in huge mobs, while also doing decent damage. It's a lot of fun to as well to charge around constantly. :)
  13. TheMythe

FC/MA was indeed cool with 5 or more enemies, however it does not generate fury (not this rune) but cost 15 fury.
  14. Mortalo

Mortalo IncGamers Member

Costs? Since when? I was spamming it while leveling (1.5 year ago) and it didn't cost? It generates at evey use, that's what tooltip stands for. Sorry for offtop :)
  15. HardRock

It still generates 15 Fury as far as I can tell and based on the leaked tooltips this won't change.
  16. Diablordk

Diablordk IncGamers Member

I really enjoy the way the Barb plays atm, with the WW build, oh well guess that's over now... :(
    Makes me sad.
  17. Galtrovan

Galtrovan IncGamers Member

The Barb will be fine. Back when I played, my Monk build was life per spirit spent and life regeneration. From the DM'd life per fury spent numbers, experience with the mechanic, and the break-all CC skill, Barbs will still be immortal.
  18. HardRock

Possibly, yeah. For a while I relied on Life per Spirit spent as well to heal myself and it can work surprisingly well. Now that this affix and it's Fury counterpart will be greatly buffed (more than the increased level cap would make it necessary just by itself) I think this could be a much more viable way to sustain ourselves. The only thing that will change is that we won't be able to mindlessly spam our abilities, we'll have to be mindful of our current HP and Fury levels to prevent overhealing or wasting our Fury.
  19. JEB90

JEB90 IncGamers Member

I'm sorry, the way you you play (or want to play) a barb bears very little relation to what, oh, all of the rest of us like about the class. Barbarians are about wading into to combat and going nuts. Playing with a calculator or spreadsheet to manage resources doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun. And life per fury spent? More viable than leech? Much more viable???? Have you ever even played a D3 barb? I am beginning to seriously doubt it. If you really believe that, you can't have played one well.
  20. HardRock

I meant much more viable to the current power of the affix, which is not very good at the moment. I'm sorry I haven't made this more clear, but since LS is going away I thought it was obvious I wasn't comparing the "healing after resources spent" affixes to that.