Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

barbarian advice

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Tusck, Feb 13, 2012. | Replies: 5 | Views: 1670

1. Tusck

Tusck IncGamers Member

barbarian advice

I was a wiz and druid for years in D2, so I have no experience with barbs at all. I've decided to ditch the magic for D3 and roll a barbarian. I was hoping for some build advice for the following situation:

1. I'll be playing both solo and with a static group of 2 wizards and a Doctor.
    2. I want to use a 2hander axe or mace.
    3. I'm looking for a good balance of damage and survival.
    4. Eventually I want to MF with this character, since that is my favorite thing to due in D2.
    5. I'm looking for a PVE only build. I plan to pvp, but I'll figure out what I want from playing.

Honestly I'm just looking for a place to start, since I almost never play melee characters.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. Tusck

Tusck IncGamers Member

Re: barbarian advice

Ok, how about this.

I've seen many threads talk about skills made for 1handers vs. skills made for 2handers. In an effort to create my own build, can someone clarify how to make that determination.

Thanks
  3. WhiteGiant

WhiteGiant IncGamers Member

First of all ; I dont think that you need a particular mindset , or that their are any infallable truths you should follow.
    that being said pretty much everyone of us is only guessing. so generally, i think that you are best suited to just play the game and experiment, that is what everyone is going to do. besides most skills are based on personal preference.

here are some of my guesses , you`ll be playing with 2 WZ and a WD , you and the summons will be the only ones in the frontline.
    so some mititgation should be very helpful, i just post some stuff here we go.

generally speaking 2h vs 1h should be very balanced ,
    *2x1h weapons are generally faster and you gain a passive 15% attackspeedincrease , however you alternate the weapons on each swing / abilityuse so the weapon you use should be equal in power. You`ll be able to generate Fury faster , but your Fury spender do also less dmg. however "on Hit / Strike"-effects and affixes proc also more often.

*2h - the opposite , 2-hander are generally slower ; and you also gain no attackspeed increase ; so you generate less fury . but your fury spender will hit like a truck. also skills like revange which are based on external opportunities ( being hit ) will be far more effective. than with a 1h weapon - or 2x1h weapon for that matter.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aTYSiR!Vec!YZYbZc

i think this is reasonably well rounded build.
    *Bash Indigo will improve your stengths even further ( hitting like a truck ) and increase the damage of seismic slam and revenge substantially.
    *Seismic slam is your primary fury spender . alot of dmg and some cc in form of knockback - however i think here are many viable choices

*Warcry alabaster is a splendid self and groupbuff.
    *Threatining shout golden is excellent and crippling the enemy
    *revange Indigo , you are always in the thick of battle so you will get hit and 30% of the times you will be able to immediatly pay them back. imo this is possibly the best skill in the whole arsenal of the barbarian ; esspecially for 2h user.
    * pain supression 65% dmg reduction on top of the dmg reduction you already have. for 8 sec.
    maybe iam mistaken but to me that seems like 8 sec of invurnability.

Passives. I chose only defensive passives. first of all, because i think that these are actually very strong. second because i think that they offer a nice synergy with one another and the skills i have chosen.

I think that would be a very effective group friendly , but also single PVE viable Barbarian.

the barbarian also has ~4 or something MF specific runestone effects. however you'll have to find out and decide wether you can sacrifice Power for a higher chance at loot. no one can know or tell what is mandatory ; and what is going "overboard" because no one has truly played the game yet.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  4. Tusck

Tusck IncGamers Member

Thanks for that WhiteGiant. That gives a very succinct explanation of what I was looking for. Gives me some thoughts about how to proceed and a place to start. As I said, melee characters are not a specialty of mine.
  5. HotelSoap

HotelSoap IncGamers Member

Oh nice. I'm not usually a melee class, but I also wanted to make a barb for D3 (second play through). And this has given me some really good tips on how to do it. Thanks!
  6. WhiteGiant

WhiteGiant IncGamers Member

thanks ; i fixxed the build Url , blizzards skill system revamp kinda killed it :O