Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Barb or Monk - who to play first?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by okcookie, May 5, 2012. | Replies: 27 | Views: 2937

1. okcookie

okcookie IncGamers Member

Hey all,

I'm new to the forums, but I played D1 and D2. I've been looking forward to D3 for a decade, and I had access to the beta during the open beta weekend. I got a taste of both the barb and the monk during the open beta. I played enough with the barb to level him to about 10 and beat the skeleton king. Sadly, it was a busy weekend for me and I could only play the monk to level 6. I am seeking some feedback on which class to play first. Below I list some factors guiding my decision:

• I tend to play paladins in RPGs. I played paladin in D2.
    • I played warrior in D1.
    • I enjoyed playing barb, but I found his lack of casting kind of boring.
    • I also enjoyed playing monk. I like the idea of playing a melee who can also kind of cast.
    • I am concerned about the lack of animations for monk.
    • I am also concerned about the monk being under-powered, as I have heard that he is.
    • Wrath of Berseker looks amazing.
    • I am not the kind of player to worry about stats or math.
    • I will be using the strategy guide.

Anyway, any thoughts or feedback you all could provide would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Austiin

Austiin Banned

There is one universal rule when playing a hack and slash RPG. If you're unsure what to make as your bedrock character, always make it the warrior, barbarian, +++. In raw terms, you can always be assured that the barbarian is going to deliver on DPS, staying alive, and feeling like a solid choice. The barb won't feel boring when you have better gear and are a solid class compared to a "half-ling" class like Monk who does nothing very well. In these types of games it's always barb or warrior who people who've been playing for years end up as having as their default char.

If you go with a caster or a "semi-melee caster" then you will always feel you started off gimped when the barb comes and rapes you even though you get in some "good moves" before he rapes you. I played D2 many years and after playing all the classes my two most coveted characters were the barbarian and the amazon because they were the most solid. Simple = better in a game like Diablo 2 and there's a basic, crude reason for this. It's the way the game is made. The game rewards simplicity, hence the most streamline, simplistic classes will always dominate something like the Monk or Witchdoctor end game.

I'm going a barb obviously. They are more fun actually all throughout the game.

Remember a simple thing. Barbs get to do the most in these types of games, always. Not just that, when a barb gets great gear it shows much more than when a caster or a half caster gets great gear. This also makes barb a better choice. Watch all the fools roll a witchdoctor or Monk then start whining when they see the Barb tearing everything up and having more fun visibly.

3. Adree

Adree IncGamers Member

What that guy said plus the monk is absolutely terrible.
  4. starrise

starrise IncGamers Member

I disagree with the developing anti-monk sentiment in this thread, but based on what you wrote, choose the barb OP.
  5. LifePincher

LifePincher IncGamers Member

Looks like I'll go with the Monk and prove you guys wrong :whistling:
    Did it with my Summoner Druid which everyone hated.

100% Monk.

LP
  6. Forgotten One

Forgotten One IncGamers Member

"When the Barb comes and rapes you?"
    When do we fight Barbarians?

It comes down to playstyle and what you resort to when challenged.

It sounds like you prefer a character that can tank some hits when you make mistakes.
    In that case the Barbarian would be a good potential choice.
  7. beingmused

beingmused IncGamers Member

You might be well aware of this and just want to get the guide for bathroom reading or something...but D3 is one of those types of games where most of the numerical info will change from what the guide says in some way or another, and even some of the more general info will be wrong as well. What doesn't change or isn't wrong in the first place will be readily available online with better info. So I'd advise against the guide...unless you have a family member who works at Bradygames or something, in which case go nuts and support their sale numbers.

As for the monk vs. barb thing - some of the barb skills in d3 (hammer, earthquake) probably feel more like "casting" than anything that the D2 barb did, so that might alleviate your concern there. Monks will not be underpowered, and that will be my first character, but I've never been into the Barb type character.

8. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

I am amazed that someone who littered these forums with so much anti-D3 rhetoric is actually going to play the game. :scratchhead:

On topic, while I will choose the barb because I like the way they look and feel while playing, I think the monk will feel much more like the D2 Paladin, and Seven-sided Strike looks sick. I don't think any of the classes will have a huge advantage over any others, and you can bet there will plenty of post-launch balancing to make sure of that.

9. LifePincher

As a couple of people stated already, if you want an easy out, pick the Barbie.
    I was torn between the Monk and Witch Doctor, but I'm sticking with my gut and will pour 100's of hours into my Monk!
  10. Zenrix

Zenrix IncGamers Member

Re: Barb or Monk - who to play firs

Monk > Barb
  11. Zenrix

Zenrix IncGamers Member

I couldn't disagree with Austiin more. I think the first thing you have to realize with this game is the type of play-style each of these classes will have. The Barbarian is going to be restricted on range with most of his abilities, as almost purely a very up-close and short range class. The monk on the other hand sacrifices some of the survivability that the barb has but makes up for it with speed, ranged abilities and very powerful defensive abilities (i.e. heals or damage reduction/immunity). I think in a skilled players hands the monk will be far more effective because his abilities will require much more strategic use and timing. In a game like Diablo 3 were your going to have swarms of mobs on you at many points in the game, the barbarian is the only class that lacks consistent AoE damage (Seismic slam is really they're only consistent AoE attack while abilities like earthquake is on a 2 min cd and Whirlwind has a small radius). The monk on the other hand has a ton of Mass AoE abilities.

Also to say that the Monk is a "half-ling" class that does nothing very well is completely wrong and misleading. The first thing you have to take into consideration is that unlike other action RPG's or MMO's Diablo 3 is limiting your skill use to only 6 abilities. Now if this wash't the case then the Monk's damage would have to be gimped because he provides so much utility to the group (i.e. heals, slows, damage reduction, dmg immunity, etc.). Since its not the case you can choose offensive minded builds and put out a TON of damage or defensive oriented builds with higher dodge, healing abilities and overall more group minded builds.

So to address the posters question I think that the Monk will actually be one of the most overpowered classes on release and there are many posters who clearly agree with me. If its damage your concerned about I think you need to keep in mind that the big difference between the Monk and Barb is that the Barb clearly has more survivability and is the closest thing to a tank class this game has. The monk on the other hand will make up for his lack of survivability with superior damage and stronger defensive cool downs.

Lastly Austiin, you say that the game will always reward simplicity and once again I couldn't disagree more. With the insane amount of build combinations in Diablo 3 the game will clearly reward complex and well thought out builds that synergize with other classes rather than easy to play, streamline builds.

Rolling Monk Day 1 and I'll enjoy stompin Barbs like Austiin when PvP eventually hits.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  12. okcookie

okcookie IncGamers Member

All this wonderful feedback has, of course, left me even unsure than I was in the first place. On the one hand, I am appreciative of both sides of the argument regarding the monk, but I have no doubt tha Blizzard will ultimately ensure that all classes are balanced. While I like the idea of a buffing, healing, slowing, melee character; I also like the idea of playing a basic tank that I can afford to make some mistakes with. So, after reading some of the comments, I may be leaning slightly more barb for my first character. This way I can learn the game mechanics and familiarize myself before jumping into a class that may require more concentration, reflexes and skill (e.g monk, witch doctor, wizard). I suppose part of my reluctance to play barb comes from fear of playing a simple class that I may get bored of, but this sentiment is based on assumption. When I play ARPGs I like to fully level one character first, and I dont want to feel like I've somehow wasted all that time on a basic tank. But, if in fact the barb can be played and leveled in a complex, entertaining way, I may not regret playing him first. So, it can't hurt to play barb first to get to know the game, before moving onto a different class. I just loved the feel of the speed playing monk in the open beta. Thanks for hearing me out as I process this decision. I certainly haven't made up my mind yet.

And yes, the strategy guide will be toilet reading and something to read in bed midnight of the 14th for 3 hours before the eastern servers go live.
  13. starrise

starrise IncGamers Member

Everything you said is exactly true, and probably true of every class. As you get further in the game (especially NM -> Hell -> Inferno), the game will require finesse and cleverness out of every class (or it should, anyway). They are all designed with this in mind, so you will likely enjoy either based on what you're saying.

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't made up my mind yet, either. :) It's a good thing.
  14. LifePincher

I say whatever class you pick, stick with it and focus on it! Don't falter onto another class thinking it's better than the one you're playing.
    But if you're one of those that likes to make all the classes at once and try them....... More power to ya' ;)
  15. Zenrix

Zenrix IncGamers Member

The main point I was trying to make is that Monk class will in no way be "gimped" or underpowered. I think both classes will be very good and it really comes down to the type of play style you like.
  16. jokewood

jokewood IncGamers Member

OP, it sounds like you would prefer playing Barb.

Uh, I don't think so. Warrior types are nearly always among the most gear-dependent choice, and therefore arguably among the worst choices for a first character.

Specifically speaking about D2, casters make far better first characters. Summoning necros, trap assassins, and cold sorcs, for example, can all solo clear hell untwinked much more easily (and for that matter more quickly) than similarly-geared barbarians. This is mostly due to the simple fact that kiting and mezzing properly is much less gear-dependent than being able to soak hits and deal damage in melee (though admittedly some quirks in d2's itemization exacerbate the issue). In addition to their above-mentioned shortcomings in early and mid-game, barbarians don't scale nearly as well with extremely pricey items as many caster or so-called "semi-melee caster" specs, for example lightning sorcs and hammerdins. Even the amazon, which you mentioned, tends to fare best as a mage hybrid (i.e. lightning fury or freezing arrow rather than strafe or multi shot) at most gear levels.

WoW was a similar story, in my opinion. Some of the most useful things for leveling are self-heals, mezzes, escape abilities, and pets; the warrior has none of those available to the same extent as many other classes. All of the classes that are much easier to level than the un-twinked warrior also enjoy approximately equal usefulness end-game.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  17. aerial

aerial IncGamers Member

Barb.
    I'm also aware it might be one of the harder characters to max out, as it is melee, and items collected for barb are hardly reusable for other chars, since it is the only class focused around strength. But if you just ignore rushing and encjoy the game by plying it slowly, these things should not matter.
  18. Jupiter

Jupiter IncGamers Member

I say you should go for the Monk. From what you wrote in the first post, it sounds like that is the choice your heart would make but you're making doubt come between.

It is not like you'll die immediately or that monk is so complex you can't make any mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, including monk-players.

Personally I wasn't very into Monk before I tested the beta. But after the beta he sailed up to a first place. I just laughed and laughed when I used his awesome moves on my foes.
  19. Sapidarman

Sapidarman IncGamers Member

This Thread again. MONK IS POWERFULL! Using monk is VERY FUN, what people dont get that MONK combos actually do a little AOE damage. Although the bash(barbarian) attack animation looks big, it doesnt do ANY AOE damage at all. The enemy that you are clicking with bash are the only one that being hit, regardless how PACKED the enemy in front of you. Do you realize that even the first punch from monk combos can hit enemies near the punching action done... I found this strange... Not to mention that in PVP, monks going to use SSS dealing the killing blow once you have 1/2 of your life. And their dashing strike(quicksilver) skills are without cooldown, cost only 10 Spirit, While other class movement skill does have ten or so cooldown, and with the Cost bigger than monk Dash... Weak??? this is not WEAK.... When i play Monk on beta, I tear monster a lot faster with combos. Youre kidding me if you say monk is weak...
  20. Panopticon

Panopticon IncGamers Member