Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Balance]Bonus to Intelligence, competition for Dexterityif

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Dethklok, May 31, 2012. | Replies: 46 | Views: 7721

1. Dethklok

Dethklok IncGamers Member

[Balance]Bonus to Intelligence, competition for Dexterity

I'm not trying to be like these ragers, but I think there are some serious game balance issues that Blizzard will hopefully address. I expect that as real-life players become more aware of practical theorycrafting these problems will become more apparent.

These balance issues concern classes indirectly, but primarily they are item mod imbalances. The only real mods we look at here are armor, dodge, and resistances, because those are the ones tied to the key attributes, which are in turn tied to classes, leading to an indirect class imbalance. The reasons are below, but right now its: Dex overpowered, Int underpowered, Str in the middle.

1a) Currently "+ all resistances" is a very overpowered item mod. Providing 700-800 virtual, non-damaging Intelligence off a single affix greatly discourages Int-based characters. I think a good example solution would be to have every 4 or 5 points of Intelligence provide +1 to resist all, and then optionally adjust monster damage numbers carefully to reflect the new ratio (retroactively editing existing items would cause an uproar). This would turn that 70-80 res all item into 280-400 virtual intelligence item, which is closer to the power of the +Armor affix (virtual Strength) against actual Strength, a ratio I believe is well designed. Additionally, in the same way that Armor is available without getting affixes, it might make sense for some gear to have resistance modifiers by default, even without affixes; to prevent abuse and/or uproar, I'd imagine that we'd want to avoid an actual "all resistances" mod here and instead split things up by element.
    1b) The maximum affix for a specific resistance (say, resistance to fire) should be MUCH higher than the maximum to resist all. Right now that isn't that case at all. The sub-resistance affixes deserve a buff.
    2) Currently nothing competes with Dexterity affixes in terms of offering a dodge bonus. Since the other two mods have "virtual" sources that can be pursued by characters who do not want that stat for DPS purposes, this represents a monopoly on best stat and oversimplifies gear choices. I believe that a +dodge chance affix should be made available. While it's important to make it better than Dexterity from a pure defense standpoint (this means even Monks and Demon hunters might consider it, although value it much less highly), it's also important to not have it obsolete Dexterity (as res all does to Intelligence). Again, the +Armor affix provides a good example, so we'd want items to max out at +2% or +3%, depending on item type. We'd want to work in that Dexterity has diminishing returns when stacked with this, so, for example, a character with 10% dodge from gear and 100 Dexterity would apply all 100 points of that dexterity at the 10-20% rate of .025% per point (ending at 12.5% dodge), not the .1% rate (ending at 20% dodge).

Until then, as I say in my other thread, keep your Dex in the 1000 range and avoid Int-based classes unless you like to glass cannon.
  2. ancalagon

ancalagon IncGamers Member

Re: [Balance]Bonus to Intelligence, competition for Dexterity

WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!? Discourage int based characters? Wiz and WD you mean? INT is their main damage stat! And no its not overpowered at all, you will feel like you need as much res all as possible in hell or inferno, makes me think have you even reached past normal? Do you know how damage mitigation works and how much armor and resistances and dodge you *ideally* need in inferno just to *get by* and how much less of it you are stuck with on a build that finds a fine balance between damage and survivability, even with all items at 80+ res ?!?!?!

Until then, as I say in my other thread, keep your Dex in the 1000 range and avoid Int-based classes unless you like to glass cannon. --> So yeah Im supposed to play only Monks and Dhs now and my barbs are supposed to fetch items with str and dex instead of str and vit as the 2 main affixes? GENIUS! WHAT A BALANCE FIX THAT IS!

I think a good example solution would be to have every 4 or 5 points of Intelligence provide +1 to resist all, and then optionally adjust monster damage numbers carefully to reflect the new ratio --> LIKE WHAT, INCREASE THE DAMAGE OF MONSTERS IN HELL AND INFERNO!>??! LOL!

There are far more balance related issues that need to be fixed ASAP and this is not one of them!
  3. Dethklok

If you're asking this question, perhaps you should make a more diligent attempt to determine the answer without overreacting. This isn't me being sarcastic here: you truly did not understand my point. No less than two of your replies actually INVERT my opinion. Please calm down and reread.
    I actually disagree here. Any imbalance in the ITEM system will only get worse and worse as time goes on, as the number of "pre-patch" items grows as creates a more marked contrast with "post-patch" items. Skills could be hotfixed overnight and no long-term ill would come of it, just some temporary grumbling. Who cares if some skill/class balance issues might seem more pronounced? They are still lower priority than relatively trivial item balance issues.

4. HamletEJ

HamletEJ IncGamers Member

You're fundamentally right about these stat imbalances. Just a few things:
    1) Looking at resistance in terms of Int equivalents isn't terrible productive; by and large resistance and Vit are both far better than secondary stats for all characters, and that's probably intentional. The issue is balance between survivability stats.
    --Resist all is too strong compared to Vit (Vit should always give more EHP than mitigation, to counterbalance its lack of synergy with healing; currently it does not).
    --Resist all is too strong compared to armor (at similar ilvl, if you get X resist, you do not get 10X bonus armor).
    --Resist all is too strong compared to individual resists (there are 6 elements and individual resists are nowhere near 6x as strong as resist all--closer to 2x).

Resist all simply dominates all other survivability stats.

2) Dodge bonuses in this game stack multiplicatively, so there's no issue of increasing returns as you stack dodge higher and higher. x% dodge on an item will cause to get hit x% less often regardless of your current dodge.
  5. zakaluka

zakaluka IncGamers Member

So my opinion is clear, I don't particularly care that some stats are stronger than others. You still want *all* defensive stats on your item, and that simply won't be available. An item with armor and dex will be stronger for most players than an item with only +all resist. Good enough in my book - I don't think the stats need to be balanced, as long as they're all on the same order of magnitude. Only one that needs a buff are individual resists, but that's hard to balance against monk skills. It's hard to say.

Could have summed up the whole message of his post with this one phrase. Great way to ensure that nobody at all will listen to your opinion. Please, the official forums are over at www.diablo3.com - seems you've gotten lost.

Well, now since that's dealt with...

Here is a common misconception though. Vit will give you several times more EHP per budget than resist will. This is right and necessary, though, because mitigation strengthens regen while a bigger health pool weakens it. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that vita is worth less EHP than resist - make sure you're adjusting 35 life/vita for all sources of mitigation.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  6. Dethklok

One thing I forgot to mention in terms of patch changes: More skill detail is necessary. I'm not even talking truly esoteric stuff, just things like your attack rate with the skill and the "life per hit" ratio for that skill would be great. I think it would be cool to take the Details box from the Inventory screen and put it in the skill box so that players can access that information without having information overload.
    From a pure damage mitigation standpoint, not at all. I showed on the spreadsheet at my other thread that +360 armor is a better damage-mitigation mod than 133 Dex/x. A +70 res all item equal to TWO +350 armor mods. That means it can trade with the armor mod AND still be better than the Dex/x mod. We're not even considering the +80 res all items here.

Yes, it's that good.
    It's common because there are still plenty of "theorycrafting" resources out there listing the life:vita ratio as 10:1.

7. HamletEJ

HamletEJ IncGamers Member

I wasn't thinking about the item budget when I posted that, so yes, resist all and Vit are closer in practical terms (even then, Vit is only significantly far ahead if you completely ignore healing). But to make sure we're on the same page, resist is still significantly greater EHP than Vit, point-for-point, given reasonable assumptions.

For background, this is all based on the theorycraft I did while writing this article, and you can see my computation in the attached spreadsheet:
    http://iam.yellingontheinternet.com/2012/05/29/mitigation-and-survivability-in-diablo-iii/
  8. zakaluka

I think we're just looking at different contexts.

In the context of item level 61 gear with good affixes, against level 62 mobs, and having that dex affix contribute to reaching the 1k dex breakpoint, an armor affix + a dex affix pretty much equals a resist affix.
    Here is my math: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Alow4W9LbVvxdDJPM1M2RVc3bE1SNURiZk9FSU5YR1E&pli=1#gid=4
    dex + armor: 4.7% EHP (102.3% * 102.3% - 100%)
    all resist: 4.7% EHP
    Look on sheet 4.

sure, it falls behind after the breakpoint, also about half a point behind for any non-int class. but again only by about half a point.
    I don't think all resist is _quite_ as far ahead as you do.
    Yes, it's always "most desired". But the most desired item is still: primary stat, resist, armor, dex, life regen, (next whatever dps stats are available in-slot). That won't change by evening out the values. In fact, I see this as an opportunity to get good deals, because how many people understand the value of armor+dex?

If you even them out all you do is take away any benefit we gain from understanding these things. If all the defensive stats are on par, there's no more understanding. Right now I can get good deals because so few people understand the value of armor, dex and life regen. If you even out the values of the different stats, no more need to understand.

I don't particularly dislike your idea, i'm just OCD about math. Sorry. I often come across as a bit too argumentative.

9. Dethklok

Thanks for correcting my math... I overestimated. Slightly.
    You just proved a single perfect mod is (exactly!) equal to two separate perfect mods. Is that not far enough ahead for you?

If you ask me, item mods are all fair game until something in the top 5 or so mods can two-for-one two of the other mods in the top 5. That's the point where I get worried.

10. zakaluka

didn't completely read my post ><

ah well, I expect it.
  11. ancalagon

You can come off as snide and unphased, cool and collected as you want, but I honestly think your post is the single most retarded and useless piece of 'information' on this subforum, not to mention a very unneccessary and untrue complaint about imbalanced game mechanics. From your other posts it also seems like no matter what other people say and how much they disprove you, you just want to huff and puff and get your way about like a little kid.

The ITEM system is not imbalanced, what they need to fix is certain skills and player stat scaling and the effects of those stats per point. The only item system they need to balance, or actually improve upon, are the uniques. Its not like you are going to stack up your inventory with 80 resist all items, because then you'll be leaving out your far more important stats out since how common is say for example, a ring with 70-80res all, 150 vit, 150 int, 15ias, socketed, and 8 crit chance for example? Chances are you are either stuck with high int high vit 20 res or medium to low int and vit with very high res (being very generic here, you can have one item with all stats as high but not 13 of them unless youre ready to spend 10s of millions igg in the AH (and you actually got to have them) and wait around for like a year for all said perfect items to appear.

You havent even answered my questions. I am still awaiting for a reply on:-

(a) Discourage int based characters? Wiz and WD you mean? INT is their main damage stat! And no its not overpowered at all, you will feel like you need as much res all as possible in hell or inferno, makes me think have you even reached past normal? Do you know how damage mitigation works and how much armor and resistances and dodge you *ideally* need in inferno just to *get by* and how much less of it you are stuck with on a build that finds a fine balance between damage and survivability, even with all items at 80+ res ?!?!?!

(b) Until then, as I say in my other thread, keep your Dex in the 1000 range and avoid Int-based classes unless you like to glass cannon. --> So yeah Im supposed to play only Monks and Dhs now and my barbs are supposed to fetch items with str and dex instead of str and vit as the 2 main affixes? GENIUS! WHAT A BALANCE FIX THAT IS!

(c) I think a good example solution would be to have every 4 or 5 points of Intelligence provide +1 to resist all, and then optionally adjust monster damage numbers carefully to reflect the new ratio --> LIKE WHAT, INCREASE THE DAMAGE OF MONSTERS IN HELL AND INFERNO!>??! LOL! And if before it was a 10:1 int:res ratio with less monster dmg and now its 5:1 with more monster dmg, did you ever stop to think that maybe youre back right where you started?

Your balancing consists of playing non-int based classes, as you say it, so limiting players to 3 groups of classes. What kind of fix is that, tell me?

I believe I've made my point and put up enough reasonable content for you to digest. Now I expect you to go back to the game and actually play past NORMAL mode, instead of theorycrafting something you havent actually tested ingame and then come back here and reply with some constructive criticism this time that actually makes sense and manages to downplay everything I said (which you wont I know but anyway) instead of your childish know it all snide replies.

12. Dethklok

Replying to a small snip does not equal reading only the small snip. (And trusting your math is, well, trusting your math.)

Nevertheless, I feel you're right in that I didn't reply to a key part of your post. I didn't do this because text communication is a funny medium and I was sincerely worried I'd be taken as sarcastic or demeaning. I guess I can fix that by saying I sincerely intend neither; in fact, I have great respect for shrewd businessmen.
    Which translates to: "The current system is imbalanced, but in my favor." I guess a certain reluctance to actually admit imbalance is natural; you'd prefer some euphemism. Furthermore, I frankly can't fault you. Given a subtly imbalanced game, the only proper way to play the game is to tip the imbalance to your favor and profit as a result; I implied this in the last paragraph of the original post in this thread, although your particular course of action wasn't specified.

13. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Advising others about being constructive while making personal attacks adds an involuntary, ironic note to your posting.

14. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

He's mainly saying that the "all resistance" mod on items overshadows the bonus from INT by too much. And that this could discurage characters from getting as much INT as they would otherwise do if it gave better returns in the resistance department rather then only for damage in the case of wiz and wds.

In this case Dethklok is correct and as far as I can tell you've missunderstood him and replied as if his opinion was inverted to what it was. His advice on taking a moment to step back and reread his post was more then justified.

ancalagon, if you have no wish to read dethkloks posts you can add him to your "ignore list".

15. ancalagon

He's mainly saying that the "all resistance" mod on items overshadows the bonus from INT by too much. And that this could discurage characters from getting as much INT as they would otherwise do if it gave better returns in the resistance department rather then only for damage in the case of wiz and wds. -->

This is not a case of imbalance, rather a case of very good balance. Why on earth would you want int over str or vit if youre a barb? Tell me why? Seriously answer me with logic and reason, dont ignore this sentence as if you missed it with your own eyes.

Only wds and wiz need to stack int for their damage, and other classes do not feel compelled to stack int for resistances only (ie a WASTED stat / affix on each item) because res all itself provides a hefty bonus, Thus they can focus on items that actually stack their main and secondary stats (dex/str or vit which is always secondary for all classes) and leaves space for 3-4 other useful affixes which do not include another stat bonus. Who would want to cripple this system and why? this is not the area of the game where imbalance is at, sorry to say.

Did you purposely ignore the part where he clearly stated to avoid int based classes as his method of getting around the so called fictitious imbalance of his? So that narrows down to 3 out of 5 classes I 'should' play the game with according to Einstein here. And to stack high dex on all classes which is riduculous. Or to increase the returns from int and also monster damage? What kind of fix is this? Could anyone answer me if any of you have actually gotten past hell mode? Cuz i have, and i can tell you a 1000 dodge 10000armor 1000res char will still not tank enough to save their lives against the constant barrage of elites, champions and their minions and hordes of swarmer type mobs the game throws at you in that difficulty. Its already very hard like that in a3/a4 hell mode I'll tell you that ... And he wants to cripple that by forcing characters to choose intelligence over their main damage or life increasing stat, and increase monster damages. Brilliant! Bravo!

I would appreciate it if at least one person here would retort with a reasonable explanation to the above, instead of avoiding challenging my valid points and just plain kissing butt, sorry to say it but thats clearly obviously whats going on here.

16. krischan

The problematic part of your posting doesn't refer to who is wrong and who is right, but to the way you are addressing people independently from that. If you need insults to stress your points, then they aren't welcome here, even if they add valuable information in their on-topic part. It's not that others have get used to your rudeness (like accusing Kijya of purposely ignoring something) if they want to benefit from your knowledge, but you will have to adapt to the standards of this forum in the first place.
  17. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

ancalagon, just as krischan says I'm not posting here to check on who is right and who is wrong in terms of game mechanics and balance. I'm here to guide the comments towards more civil waters, forcefully if necessary. You misunderstood Dethkloks post and when he pointed that out you replied rudely instead of reading his post again too see what he was trying to say, nothing more, nothing less.
  18. ancalagon

Not checking on who is right and is wrong? All lies, you are heavily biased:

And again I didnt misunderstand anything he said, I understood what he said, found it to be rather stupid and offered my counterarguments as to why in all of my posts. Whats wrong with calling out someone when they say something dumb? I'm not using any foul language. Y'all seriously toucy in these forums. Everyone prefers to use my so called 'rudeness' as an excuse to bypass answering the challenging arguments I put up. Don't deny it.

I will sum up:

Why would you want int over str or vit if youre a barb? It doesnt
    increase your dmg at all, you are supposed to be stacking your main stats str and vit, not wasting
    int points, so thats where high res all and low res per int pt comes in

Only wds and wiz need to stack int for their damage, and other
    classes do not feel compelled to stack int for resistances only
    (ie a WASTED stat / affix on each item) because res all itself
    provides a hefty bonus, Thus they can focus on items that
    actually stack their main and secondary stats (dex/str or vit
    which is always secondary for all classes) and leaves space
    for 3-4 other useful affixes which do not include another
    stat bonus. Who would want to cripple this system and why?
    this is not the area of the game where imbalance is at,
    sorry to say.

Your method of getting around the so called fictitious imbalance of
    yours is to avoid int based classes? You're not fixing anything,
    as you put it yourself you would be doing this:
    ''the only proper way to play the game is to tip the imbalance to your favor and profit as a result''
    (I assume you only play DHs and monks)

So that narrows down to 3 out of 5 classes I 'should' play the game
    with according to Einstein here. And to stack high dex on all
    classes which is riduculous. Or to increase the returns from int
    and also monster damage? What kind of fix is this? Could anyone
    answer me if any of you have actually gotten past hell mode? Cuz
    i have, and i can tell you a 1000 dodge 10000armor 1000res char
    will still not tank enough to save their lives against the
    constant barrage of elites, champions and their minions and
    hordes of swarmer type mobs the game throws at you in that
    difficulty. Its already very hard like that in a3/a4 hell mode
    I'll tell you that ... And he wants to cripple that by forcing
    characters to choose intelligence over their main damage or
    life increasing stat, and increase monster damages. Brilliant! Bravo!

Have you even reached past normal? Do you know how damage mitigation
    works and how much armor and resistances and dodge you *ideally*
    need in inferno just to *get by* and how much less of it you are
    stuck with on a build that finds a fine balance between damage
    and survivability, even with all items at 80+ res ?!?!?!

I think a good example solution would be to have every 4 or 5
    points of Intelligence provide +1 to resist all, and then optionally
    adjust monster damage numbers carefully to reflect the new ratio
    --> If before it was a 10:1 int:res ratio with less monster dmg
    and now its 5:1 with more monster dmg, did you ever stop to think
    that maybe youre back right where you started?

Sticking to a 1000 dex on each character is also ridiculous for WDs
    Wizards and Barbs, because the difference between 200 dex (the average for these classes
    who dont use dex as their dmg multiplier) and 1000 dex is only 30 - 12.5 = 17.5% dodge

Taking average damage of a monster in inferno to be 50k,

lets take a build with 30% dodge and 200 res all (on average each res), 3500 armor (seems to be average numbers from a lot
    of builds I've seen who dont focus on all items with good dr bonuses)

Excluding all other Damage mitigators like Blur, Superstition, Relentless, Class bonuses (only for barb in this case):

200 res all and 3500 armor is a final 70% dr

vs a build with 12.5% dodge and 500+ res all, 9000 armor (every single piece of item with +armor and res all where possible)

which is 12.5% dodge and a final 90%+ reduction

Over the course of 10 hits we have:

50k x 10 = 500k x 0.3 x 0.7 = 105,000 damage taken

50k x 10 = 500k x 0.1 x 0.875 = 43,750 damage taken (less than half damage taken over just 10 hits which is absolutely nothing
    ingame vs elite mobs)

And that is not even including all the other multiplicative damage reducing bonuses all classes get which can reduce damage up to a solid 94%+, whilst only the monk and barbs zerk provide xve dodge bonuses afaik

And you want somebody .. hell ANYBODY sensible ... to stack dex up to 1000 as a priority over vit or res all or +armor, or life regen life on hit cc reduction ias crit dmg crit chance? When you need all your items to stack up massive dex and ignore far more important and useful affixes for a build that will tank less than half the amount? Madness... nonsensical ... flawed ...

19. krischan

Please re-read what I have quoted in my first reply:

That was rude.

It doesn't depend on your idea of what's rude, but on ours. We will not change. You will have to. If people here are too touchy to your taste, then better look for a place where people get along with the way you are addressing them. These forums aren't such a place.

With that being said, the issue is finished. Please stop making any further public comments on moderator decisions

20. Dethklok

Right back at you.
    Fixing Uniques isn't so much a game balance issue as a "this doesn't feel like Diablo and the fans are getting upset" issue. I'm not trying to say things like that aren't important, and in the case of some uniques there really isn't ANYTHING keeping them from being a good, randomly spawned rare. On the other hand, uniques like Stormshield and String of Ears are pretty good examples of what I think D3 uniques should be.

Also, they are Legendaries, not Uniques. I can deduce that you are a former D2 player who is a little upset by the changes in the skill system.
    I'd like to say "this is what people are doing right now." However, technically they aren't, because 80 isn't available on everything and very few items get that perfect +80 roll. However, stacking up 65+ res all items? Yes. This is exactly what Inferno characters do.
    Off the top of my head, the only more important stat is life per hit; even that is arguable (there is also an argument for vit, although I don't subscribe to it). Res all easily trumps Str on barbarians, Dex on monk/DH, and Int on Wiz/WD. You are underestimating the defensive value of this mod.
    Very low. Assuming the affixes you list are possible, it's probably about as likely as finding a Jah rune, then an Ith rune, then a Ber rune, then a 3-socket archon plate in Diablo 2. In other words, despite the extremely low probabilities involved, still relevant.

You also slipped that you play either Wiz or WD. Just sayin'.
    a) You are not responding to my original point at all. To clarify, it is not this: "Wiz and WD are discouraged from getting +Int items." Obviously they are; it amplifies their damage. My point was/is: "Because +Int items compare so poorly to +res all items, players are statistically dis-incentivized from playing Wiz or WD in the first place."

b) You are not responding to my original point at all. To clarify, it is not this: "Incentivizing everyone to get dexterity bonuses, instead of other available affixes, is balanced." Obviously it's not. My point was/is: "Due to eventual diminishing returns in armor and resistances, combined with no other method of improving your dodge rate, at a certain point everyone is statistically incentivized to get dexterity bonuses over other available affixes." I have a lot of [strike]data[/strike] math supporting this point in my other thread.

c) You are putting words in my mouth. To clarify, I did not say: "We need to increase the damage of Inferno difficulty's monsters." What I meant to say was that improving the Int-to-resist ratio may make it possible to pump Int as too strong of a damage mitigation method at lower difficulties, particularly Nightmare, and that adjustments might need to be made.
    My highest-level character is still my witch doctor. Hell was brutally difficult, and Act 1 Inferno was so hard for me that, met with countless deaths, I decided to bunker down and theorycraft to determine what gear mistakes I was making. Analyzing the data led me to the conclusion that Int-based is underpowered and Dex-based is overpowered. I also made a hardcore barbarian, who is now dead. I am currently leveling a monk.
    For the guy keeping track of rudeness: I actually consider this part ruder than the intro.

Although I think it was more luck than skill, anc makes his only valid, nonobvious point here. I have not playtested most of the theorycrafting here. As stated above, I played WD to Inferno, cried at extreme difficulty, bunkered down with some number-crunching, reached conclusions, and then started to rebuild. Instead of waiting for results, I immediately posted my findings, as they were pretty much pure math-based, with formulas derived from trusted sources. I'm not rushing my monk and I've had less time for Diablo 3 last few days, so he's not anywhere near Inferno yet. In good faith, if I find any evidence through playing that disproves my theorycrafting, I'll post it.

Ancalagon, if you wish to reply to this post, do not expect any reply from me. You may quote me if you like, so that you could discuss these points with the other forum members; however, I will not respond to any further posts you make, until and unless you do something to convince me you are not the troll you appear to be.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012