Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Azurewrath (Need for speed discussion)

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by SincereX13, Dec 20, 2012. | Replies: 6 | Views: 3558

1. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

So I found an Azurewrath yesterday and it seems like a weapon that should be discussed. While it's damage is lacking, it more than makes up for it in speed it would seem.

I slapped in on my Barb and lost about 20-30k damage when I put it in my primary weapon slot. However, my attack speed went through the roof from 1.7 to 2.25 attacks per second. I tried a round of killing with it and found that even though I lost damage my overall killing speed did not seem to change.

A downside to this weapon is that it does not seem to come with variable stats so you can't find a "perfect" version for an elite build. I am also sure that people can prove out how it is far inferior to other weapons for every barb build out there.

Has anyone else tried it out? The IAS does not seem to work when it is used as my off hand weapon with Cleave but I wonder if it is the same with WW?

Anyway seemed like an interesting weapon and worthy of an SPF discussion.
  2. grogs

grogs IncGamers Member

The Ias will make a difference to your WW tick speed as the tornados alternate hands. The same thing will happen with Cleave, each cleave will use whichever hand is active at the time of swinging.

Apart from that, it doesn't get any random mods at all. So you are left with a quick weapon that does mediocre damage, and can't get any damage / sustain mods.

It's basically useless for WW, can't be used as a MH, as the raw damage is too low, and you get more milage out of a Mighty Weapon or an Axe / Mace from Weapons Master. As an off hand, you can't get LoH, LS or a socket on it.For it to see any use it needs to be able to get at least 1, maybe 2 random magic properties.
  3. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

There's a discussion about here. I thought Crunchy did a big post somehwhere, but I can't find it at the moment.
  4. Crunchy II

Crunchy II IncGamers Member

@Thyiad: don't think it was me :p

As grogs says, the lack of damage and healing really make this weapon poor. It could be used on your Templar with IAS jewellery for crowd control, if someone is starting out in Inferno it could be a big help.
  5. SincereX13

SincereX13 IncGamers Member

So I think the idea behind the weapon is cool, to have a weapon that boosts attack speed to higher levels than any other weapon. But as people mentioned above since it is gimped everywhere else it can't be useful without any random mods. Disappointing that the developers came up with a good idea but failed to see it all the way through.
  6. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

Untested non-sense

I don't know if it was a mistake, maybe it a was added for flavor... If they made it with 2-3 random affixes and good damage, it would be one of the best weapons out there (if not the best) and they don't really want to have a best weapon. It would be a freezing echoing fury...

If you pack lots of freeze% items, maybe you can lock stuff with a WD, using firebomb/Flash fire. It auto-aims and would be sick if you pack some extra IAS with witching hour, inna's pants, etc. If I get the mentioned belt, maybe I can test it.

Keep in mind that any build wouldn't be cheap (aka trifecta/quadrifecta stuff), since it lacks preety much everything else (if it had 200-250 all stats, different history). Also, it would be an MP0 build, since it would be hard to go way over 50k dps (or even reach 50k dps) and you will lose LS.

Edit:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Baron-1545/hero/954277

And I was wrong...

I lost ~30k dps, but it still doens't proc properly. Maybe my lame IAS roll is affecting that, but I can't complain with the near perfect Freeze roll. It doesn't lock stuff, and I dunno if a plain WHour will solve that. I won't say for sure, but maybe a WH and a int inna's could give me 75k dps.

Since I had most items (and I plan to get WH anyway, since it's kinda BiS) I'll keep trying and post my impressions, but I wouldn't drop 20mi gold on the build, based on my impressions so far (maybe it can be done without Zunis, to be fair). Maybe if I find something else to reach 20% freeze the whole thing gets better.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  7. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

Actually, I found an azurewrath build. I need a Fire res inna's belt. I can't test it due to MFO, but it seems to be a good uber party member.

Giggles:http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Baron-1545/hero/3132279

To make it even funnier, I self-find: Helm, Chest, Pants, Boots, Bracers, weapon, ammy, shoulders.
    Got on GAH: Rings, Shield, gloves.

Like I said, probably I'll buy a belt on GAH, prob. an ammy if I find an 850 LoH, 8%CC, FR/AR and Dex on a budget. I won't be investing time on this, since I'm playing on D2 MFO. Only If my GAH trash sells I'll be looking for belt/ammy.

(I didn't like the build with Wizardspike due to weirdness and with sledge fist the DPS is too low). Essencially, it involves getting aroun 50% crit and lots of ias (getting over 2 APS) to make your weapon proc like mad.