Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Attack Rating WTF?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Killboy, Sep 2, 2013. | Replies: 10 | Views: 3612

1. Killboy

Killboy IncGamers Member

Wat?

Why?

Strength: 94
    Dexterity: 88
  2. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

What's the actual question here?
  3. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

I'll take a stab at this...

Strength has nothing to do with Attack Rating or chance to hit. 88 Dexterity gives your Assassin 420 ( (88-7 * 5) + 15) base attack rating, to which + Attack Rating is added, then +% Attack Rating from Claw Mastery, Blades of Ice and other sources is applied.

The chances to hit displayed for your primary weapon by the character screen are low because your level 32 (?) Assassin is trying to hit a level 55 Minion of Destruction with 287 Defence in Normal.

Your actual chance to hit may be even lower, since Minions of Destruction are actually level 58 (+3) and character screen chance to hit is calculated with the class constant (15 for an Assassin) added a second time, after +% AR (so it calculates displayed chance to hit with 909 and 1,165 AR, not the displayed 894 and 1,150 AR).

It could also be much higher, because displayed chance to hit doesn't take into account any + AR Against Demons or Undead, or any defence reduction applied to monsters.
  4. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

You being able to come up with this post, from what that guy said, just confirms your ability to be amazing.
  5. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

The onderduiker knows everything it seems!
  6. UntwinkedPatriarch

UntwinkedPatriarch IncGamers Member

Yes, Diablo II's attack rating to hit probability relationship is a curve, while Diablo I's attack rating to hit probability is linear. Different games within the same series are allowed to use different formulae.

I'm sure D3 has some really convoluted formula based on your time zone, current age in seconds, and number younger siblings in your immediate family...

Or was your question something else?
  7. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

If you missed it, I think Onderduiker already covered this one. I was too lazy to rewrite the chance-to-hit equation and solve for the missing information or even figure out if the original poster gave enough.
  8. onderduiker

Just for the sake of completeness, chance to hit in Diablo II is determined by the attacker's Attack Rating (AR) and level (alvl), and the defender's defence rating (DR) and level (dlvl), as follows:

% Chance to hit = 100 * 2 * (alvl / alvl+dlvl) * (AR / AR+DR)

The opening post gives % chance to hit and AR, and since the defender is given as a Minion of Destruction its dlvl and DR can be looked up (first assuming this is Normal based on the AR values), leaving alvl as the only unknown. I solved for it, but you could also just assume alvl = dlvl so % chance to hit = 100 * AR / AR+DR; since 100 * 894 / 894+287 ~ 75.7% and displayed chance to hit is only 55%, this indicates a significant level difference (or possibly that this is in Nightmare or Hell).

I took a stab at it, and based on the results of my calculations I'm pretty sure that this was in Normal, but for a definitive answer I'd need a definitive question (including Assassin and difficulty level).
  9. Winterfell

Winterfell IncGamers Member

I was about to ask something pretty similar.

My level 27 Assassin has a Dex of 80 and level 10 Claw Mastery, giving a +120% bonus to accuracy. I'm in Act V and have a 68% chance to hit Crush Beasts and they have a 93% chance to hit me. Is something going wrong here or is it actually meant to be like that? Am I too low a level? I basically go outside town, rapidly spam potions until I run out, then return. It doesn't help that it tends to take quite a few hits to kill them, and even the smaller enemies become problematic to hit because in Diablo 2, if they even slowly stroll away from you, your character just stands there and swipes at thin air, then take a step, swipes at thin air again, over and over until the enemy stops walking. Depressingly, I tend to fare much better just auto-attacking everything rather than using the Martial Arts skills.
  10. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

When I first start the ladder, and am questing, then Im usually around lvl 32 when I enter act5.

The higher the lvl you have, the harder the monsters will have to hit you. And you have a higher chance of hitting the lower leveled monsters.
    So its always a good idea to stay just above the monsters level, where you are atm.

In normal, the monster level will be different from the arealevel.
    But in NM+Hell going by the area level is just fine.

Which means, that you should level to at least 30 imo, in act 4 Chaos Sanctuary. And then proceed to act5.
  11. onderduiker

In the absence of any + Attack Rating bonuses, your level 27 Assassin with 80 Dexterity has 365 (80-7 * 5) 365 base AR, which +120% AR from level 10 Claw Mastery increases to 803 AR. Crush Beasts in Normal are level 38 with 200 defence:

% Chance to hit = 100 * 2 * (27 / 27+38) * (803 / 803+200) ~ 66%

That's slightly lower than the chance to hit displayed (which should still be ~66% even with the erroneous second application of the Assassin's class constant of 15), so you probably have some small +AR bonus (+39, 888 AR displayed?).

Crush Beasts in Normal are level 38 with 996 AR, so to display a 93% chance to hit your level 27 Assassin, she should have ~256 defence; if she doesn't, then something is wrong.