Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Artisans - Are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Scipio, May 20, 2012. | Replies: 53 | Views: 14493

1. Scipio

Scipio IncGamers Member

I'm a level 40 Barb in Act II Nightmare.

My experience so far is that I have salvaged all blue items and 90% of the rares, and been upgrading both the Blacksmith and Jeweller continuously. I've ended up having a couple of hundred Subtle Essence and perhaps a hundred Fallen Tooth, and absolutely nothing to use them on. I crafted perhaps 15-20 items, and use a couple of them, but it has certainly been expensive when compared to just buying the few items you need from the Auction House.

I have also diligently saved all gems and combined them, only to find that I could buy much better gems on the Auction House for basically nothing. Combining gems and leveling the Jeweller appears not to be anywhere near worth it.

What are your feelings? Skip the artisans completely, or do they have a practical purpose later on?
  2. blinkyvv

blinkyvv IncGamers Member

lvl 8 black smith and ive gotten nothing useful from crafting items
  3. Fuzion

Fuzion IncGamers Member

Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: No. I'm around your level, NM Barbarian, I desperately need gear and everything you can craft is pointless, or I have materials to make a few and end up running out of pages before I can craft a piece that DOESN'T have Intelligence, Dexterity or any other god damn useless stat for me.

It's really infuriating how big an investment it is, unless you have the materials to craft endlessly and make a REALLY nice piece by chance you're just wasting gold.
  4. Forgotten One

Forgotten One IncGamers Member

So far they are worth it to me.

I haven't used the auction house and never plan to.
    So you and I are different in that respect and viewpoint.
  5. Bash_

Bash_ IncGamers Member

Leveling the artisan and blacksmith is something you do once you've decked yourself out for 60 at the AH I guess *shrug*
  6. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

Guess it depends if you're using the AH. I'm not and my best items are usually crafted.
  7. saint_of_killers

saint_of_killers Diablo: IncGamers Member

I stopped lvl'ing mine up when bsmith was lvl5 and i realized there was nothing he gave me and AH had far superior gear. I'll still level him, but maybe when i'm in the 50s or 60 (lvl48 atm). As for jewelcrafter, I'll do him slowly along the way.
  8. chronofus

chronofus IncGamers Member

I'm still in Act 3 normal playing mostly solo, but it's been very helpful for me to level the blacksmith and jeweller and get some nice yellows. Takes a few goes to get something useful at times, but it's a nice cash/item sink though it seems to level out. I'm not sure of the longevity though in item quality as I seem to catch up to the item stats as I push through normal.

I'm stuck now trying to find plans to upgrade them, haven't seen one yet :(
  9. a black kid

a black kid IncGamers Member

after a certain point you need items of the next difficulty to continue upgrading them.

10. marshmallow

marshmallow IncGamers Member

Mine is level 7 and here are some items I can craft to help my lvl 54 WD:

Mojo: lvl 39
    Ceremonial Dagger: lvl 55 but with half the dps of my current weapon

Some of the armors look like they could be useful with a lucky roll, except they require tomes for their recipe which drop rarely and I should be saving those for upgrading the BS? So much for filling in the gaps. I think the only time he was ever useful was somewhere in normal. There was a point in A3 NM where I was struggling with gear and he didn't have ANYTHING useful. I just had to grind it out.
  11. Mrjones

Mrjones IncGamers Member

Im hoping this will turn out like diablo 2 crafting. In what I mean is when it first came out everyone thought it sucked but later on you found out you could make some of the best items in the game.
  12. zacheroog

zacheroog IncGamers Member

In the beginning, I had a lot of fun with Artisan. But now the fun is fading away ever since I discovered the auction house. I think Artisan will become the new Gambling (D2) of D3, just not THAT bad. I'll probably craft every now and then to see if I get lucky, but AH is your best bet if you want to get exactly what you want. The way I would change Artisan, is dropping some of the gold cost, and instead require that you provide the [white] item that you wish to craft.
  13. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

why not ?
    its the gold AH, not the RMAH

its really no different from buying stuff from a vendor
    or from joining a public game where people trade with each other

14. Kblavkalash

Kblavkalash IncGamers Member

Completely agree with OP. I leveled both artisans to level 8 but pretty much never crafted anything because it's expensive and always i get crap. I got hundreds of each crafting materials and have nothing to do with them.

With the money you would invest into crafting you can easily buy much better item you really need from AH.
  15. Forgotten One

Forgotten One IncGamers Member

I enjoy the single player experience. Always have.
    Part of that involves using items that I have found/made in my game only.

Requiring an iternet connection so I can be exposed to these types of "features" does not interest me at all.
    It introduced more cons than pros for me. The immersion of my own campaign has been terrible in Diablo 3 compared to the others in the series.

16. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

I'm also a no-AHer. I'm sure there are plenty of us :p I might peek in there once the economy has settled down, I suppose, to see what I can sell... but for me, hunting for the items (including crafting) is fun, not HAVING the items, so I don't see buying stuff there.

BTW, buying from the AH is NOT the same as buying from a vendor. On the AH, the game designers have no control over supply and prices, so there is no way they can make sure itemization is balanced. With the vendors, they can, which is why vendor stuff is so rarely worth buying ;) It's overpriced for its quality, and there's not much to choose from.

And specifically, the ONLY reason crafting looks "broken" to some people is because comparable items are cheaper on the AH. If the AH weren't there, it would be fine :p

As for the cost of leveling your artisans... you only do that once, PER ACCOUNT. That is, for most people, once EVER (or twice if you have both softcore and hardcore characters, or play on two realms). So I would say that cost does not really exist, heh... in a year you will have forgotten you ever did it. You can fully level both of them within a week, and that's it, for good.

The gear is useful to fill in gaps when you're leveling. Whether end-game gear will ever be worth it, I don't know, not having gotten there yet.
  17. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

I found the jewelcrafting very helpful. Now in hell you usually find the gems you want it seems. The blacksmith has been good at time, depends on how well you manage you gold. I've found that for the first run thru of the game the blacksmith has been useful for filling those item areas that aren't dropping. But you just need either lots of magic find or gold find or a bit of both and he can really help especially when you're just not getting those drops happening in that specific area.
  18. Cipherthros

Cipherthros IncGamers Member

I'm finding that the artisans are much more useful for my secondary characters, after I've mainly levelled them up using my main on the first run. Is making it very easy to plough through normal difficulty now with some good gear.
  19. Hdefte

Hdefte IncGamers Member

Have been asking my self the same question.
    Some of the rare ones in level 9 and 10 are quite decent. But buttomline is not worth it imo. But now he is leveled up and i hope to find some good plan drops, that can give me something nice for all the gold i invsted in him.
    As far as the jeweler, a bit expensive, but we all want those high tier gems. :)
  20. OsyncO

OsyncO IncGamers Member

It is different because a vendor doesn't have hundreds of rares for very low prices. I bought a few things from the AH and immediately doubled my damage and life. I was so overpowered I got rid of the rares I bought so I could have some challenge again.