Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Are weapons just part of your appearance now?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Beta Forum' started by CoQui, Jan 6, 2012. | Replies: 35 | Views: 35599

1. CoQui

CoQui IncGamers Member

Are weapons just part of your appearance now?

I'm in the beta. Just to get that out of the way.

Now anyone else kind of annoyed of the lack of weapon use in Diablo 3? You don't need to use your weapons from the minute the game starts. Now it's just spells, spells, and more spells to let you use spells. What ever happened to enjoy hacking and slashing away at something and then unleashing your spells to great effect? The actual powerful feeling of unleashing a spell at the right moment? When out of mana, all you had was your trusty weapon in hand. In Diablo 3, you get bored of spamming the same spells over and over with no need to use your weapons anymore... You have practically unlimited mana, fury, spirit, or whatever your class is using, so there is never a need to use your weapons anymore. Anyone bothered by this or is it just me? I mean, now you see a guy holding a huge axe and really it's just for cosmetic purposes... :alright:
  2. fnaxqtr

fnaxqtr IncGamers Member

Re: Are weapons just part of your appearance now?

i am with you !

GOGOOGOG HAWKS
  3. Abomb

Abomb IncGamers Member

The only character I found this to be the case with was the monk. For example, most if not all of his punch techniques leave his weapons at his side or on his back. I felt the barbarian had his fair share of special skills that made use of his weapon graphics.

But, Yes I also think that weapons should play more of a part in spell animations.
  4. Soval

Soval IncGamers Member

More empty nitpicking.

How are weapons any different in D3 than they were in D2?

Why should spellcasters fight using their weapons and not be using their magic?

What is more spammable and less powerful about skills in D3?

And what exactly is stopping you from using your weapon and skills to make you feel whatever vague feeling you are trying to achieve?
  5. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

On a WD, I sometimes keep a button clear for just the normal attack (but why the hell can't normal attack be bound to a number key?). I do this because of bows with a freezing mod on them to use as a quick, free snare. But other than that, dunno.
  6. CoQui

CoQui IncGamers Member

Because there is ZERO need to use your weapon with the standard attack anymore. Blizzard even knows this as they have put the basic starting spell as the default LEFT click on almost every class, am I wrong? Thus, the most common melee smasher, the barbarian, even he has a spell to use right off the bat meaning you will only see that attack unless you choose to go back to the normal weapon attack. I don't know, I kind of miss hacking away at an enemy with a purpose... That purpose being, I don't have practically unlimited mana to keep spamming every spell I have nonstop and I need to put to use that fancy weapon I found with the badass attributes.

Just my two cents. :crazyeyes:

7. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Eventually, they want any damage you do to come from one of the skills you have chosen. That's why they have 6 skill slots. If they would make normal attack worthwhile, it might replace some skills (signature spells for Wizard, generators for barb/DH, and the monk would become even more messed up). I really can't come up with how they might make normal attack useful only in certain situations while making you also want to use your generators and spenders.

Keep in mind they already have normal attack as an alternative generator for the DH and wizard, costing a passive skill slot instead of an active one. But yeah, that's probably not enough to make it feel like the weapons are actually useful for more than just being a number to calculate your skill damage.

At least the barbarian actually uses his weapon directly for his moves, and the DH sort of does as well (except some moves that still use weapon damage but have nothing to do with the weapon). For wizard/wd it makes sense that they won't use their weapon much, but it would be nice if their weapon would have some kind of a use (currently it only does for very specific specs which don't seem all that great anyway), and the monk is completely messed up, sheathing his weapon in order to throw some punches.
  8. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

I still wonder how they are planning to prevent wizards and WD to not just pick up a big *** 2 hander for max weapon damage. There has to be some pretty heavy class specific modifiers on their own items to not just swing something like Grandfather around.
  9. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

I never used my normal attacks in Diablo 2 past Act 2 Normal difficulty. At that point, you could easily get an Insight, some mana leech, or just chug potions and constantly use your spells. And once you have Insight and/or mana leech in Diablo 2, you effectively have unlimited mana. That isn't a particularly fun or interesting resource mechanic (read; get item X, cast unlimited spells) Whereas in Diablo 3, I am frequently confronted with the decision of whether or not I save up my "mana" and dump it later on, or spend my energy it as it comes.

10. Bowzer

Bowzer <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a><br>D

That seems like a very fair system in diablo 3 then.

As much as I liked casting infinite orbs around the map it did become rather mindless at a point.

11. sdemon

sdemon IncGamers Member

It's not efficient for a WD/Wiz to use a big *** 2 hander with absurd damage - they are slow. Weapon speed is basically your casting speed now. Using slow 2 handers for casters is not efficient, unless you only use skills that have inherent cooldowns.
  12. galzohar

Anything with a resource cost favors slow weapons if your class has any natural resource regeneration. Plus, 2-handers generally have higher overall DPS. The only real reasons to use something faster is if you rely on stuff like procs or not being stuck in a slightly longer attack animation before being able to move, or if you end up losing damage to overkill (and maybe a few other small stuff). I really wonder how they'll end up balancing it, because right now I'm not buying their reasoning for why you'd use higher-speed-lower-DPS weapons with the current differences in DPS values.

In any case (balanced or not), I find it weird that melee weapons and bows can affect the damage done by your spells. At least a wand/staff can be explained since you basically "cast" with it (and it's magical, after all) and thus it affects your spell damage.

All this also makes me wonder about stuff like "melee wizard". Since there is no reason to use your weapon, only spells, there's no major difference between a staff/wand wielding wizard to a sword wielding wizard. Neither actually use their weapon (unless the wand wizard decided to use the wand passive instead of a signature spell).
  13. CoQui

CoQui IncGamers Member

I may get trashed for saying this but, I honestly think what Blizzard has done to the game is consolized it because they know they are going to bring it to the console and playing with stat points won't be all that much fun on a controller or when 13 year olds are behind the game... :whistling:
  14. Grayson Carlyle

Grayson Carlyle IncGamers Member

I'm so confused how the 2H vs 1H issue is still coming up. Every non-shield off-hand has inherent +damage built into it, and a lot of it. +Damage grants the most DPS on fast weapons; 1Hers. It's already the case in the beta; you do more sustained DPS with a fast 1H and +damage rings and a +damage off hand, for which the trend will probably balance out in the end with the 2 options giving roughly the same DPS. Despite 1H being more DPS in the beta, a lot of people opt for a 2H anyway because they enjoy the feel of it. I highly doubt there will be any glaring issues with the choices, especially when everything Inferno is going to take quite a bit more time to kill than stuff in beta.
  15. Soval

Soval IncGamers Member

As well you should.

And for saying this too:
    Neither of those statements are based in reality, and it makes it hard to take you seriously.

I think your problem Qui is that you, like so many before you, are romanticizing something in Diablo 2 that never was. Normal weapon attacks were never a major part of the game, and were always superseded by the skills each class possessed. There is no major difference between D2 and D3 with regard to the prioritizing of skills or the issues of managing resources.

16. galzohar

Yes, Blizzard seem to be going the route of static +damage boosts to balance things out, but honestly I don't like that solution. It's just begging for balance issues in the long run and being overall counter-intuitive which seems to be something they have been trying to avoid in other places.
  17. CoQui

CoQui IncGamers Member

But that's not true. In D1 and D2, I was always conscious of the amount of mana I had still did a lot of weapon attacking even while spamming some spells. I mean, HONESTLY, you had moments of using your weapon. Even at the beginning at least when you are truely in a weak state at level 1. You had to rely on your weapon for at least what? 5 levels worth before you begin spamming more of the early spells? NOT even at level 1 here are you forced to use your weapons. I guess it's because I was using the Monk class for a decent play session time and actually found myself kind of look away from the screen with a bored state of mind like, ok, this is getting old. Just spamming that kick move and using his fury generator attack. I was tired of seeing it. Then I was like, WAIT I do have more spells, oh crap, I have to go back in town to select them, sighhh...

18. galzohar

In D2 you still wouldn't use weapons as a caster at high levels, which is what truly matters.
  19. Soval

Soval IncGamers Member

So are are yearning to repeatedly use your plain weapon attack in battle, but you are bored to tears by repeatedly using the numerous skills you have at your disposal...

Okaaay, what is stopping you from doing just that? You can use your weapons as much as you want, nothing in the game prevents that, You are aware of that aren't you?

But just because you like to play in such a hobbled way does not mean that everyone else should be forced to as well.

Again, you are romanticizing something that never was.
  20. imthedan

imthedan IncGamers Member

I think it's rather unfair for the Demon Hunter to be honest. We have to use a bow or most of the skills will not work, while other classes (including Wizard) can find the highest DPS item and roll with it.

While on the subject, the DPS shown when you open the character window is just for basic attacks right? I am curious about this because on my DH, I tried to equip two one-handed rare crossbows, and my DPS dropped. Would I actually do more damage will skills with two crossbows equipped or does the DPS shown represent the skills for the DH as well?