Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anyone tried GoMule development?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by GeminiCroquette, Feb 5, 2013. | Replies: 8 | Views: 595

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeminiCroquette

GeminiCroquette IncGamers Member

Hello all! I recently heard about GoMule and have gotten bored with D3, so while waiting for the next patch I figured I'd do some single-player gaming in D2 with GoMule. It's a great program, but the "file change detected" popup is very annoying so I figured I'd grab the source code since GoMule is open source, and remove it.

I grabbed the latest source from the SourceForge page for GoMule but noticed it wasn't exactly the "right" version. When compiled, it displayed character and stashes in a tabbed view as opposed to "child windows" view. Also, the "Pick All" button wasn't working, I had to add some code to make it work. It seems to be working now (yay no more "file change detected" popup!). Apparently the already-compiled version is different from the source code. It appears the source code has has some updates that aren't in the already-compiled version that can be downloaded...

Has anyone had any experience with development GoMule? I tried emailing the developer but have not heard any response.

In case anyone's interested, I'm using NetBeans as the IDE.

Any ideas for things that can be improved?

2. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

The Pick all button was working fine for me.

Silo had some issues with his employer disliking private projects, hence why you are unlikely to hear a response from him.

I believe another long term SPF member was going to try and take on development. However, unless D2 is changed considerably in any future patch (unlikely), then GoMule is probably going to work fine for D2 for the foreseeable future. Personally, I'd stick with GoMule as it is because - no offence intended - the programmer had been around a long time.

3. GeminiCroquette

Wait, are you referring to the official download one, or one that you built from the source code? The official GoMule.jar works perfectly well for me too, I just wanted to poke around in the source code and remove the nagging popup, which is when I found out the "Pick All" button didn't work if I compiled it from source. Basically, the source code available is not the source code the GoMule.jar was compiled from. :(

EDIT: I'd like to add that I'm not trying to take over development or anything, I'm just a code monkey and I wanted to putz around with the source code a bit, and was wondering if anyone else had noticed the source code for GoMule doesn't match the downloadable .jar file.

4. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

I've tinkered with this sort of thing way back before I discovered this forum, and realized there's a fine line between "helpful application" and "I learned how to dupe Zods". It doesn't take much to make an entire D2 account completely illegitimate, whether on purpose or by accident.

Of course none of this matters if you don't intend to trade or MP. It is just a game, after all :)

5. NorthDakota

NorthDakota IncGamers Member

Yeah the problem with modifying GoMule is that the modified version would have to be okay'd here by thyiad and probably the community as well. Otherwise you will not be able to participate here.

And the spf has a long history of resisting (understandably) to the accepted mods/programs list, which includes stuff that is second nature to us now, such as Runeword Mod (some people still think it's not acceptable) and red rune mod (which is actually sort of obsolete now).

While I agree the popup is annoying, what's the solution? Would you like it to auto detect after an open character is saved? I have poked around out of curiousity but my 1 year of java classes did not prevent most of the stuff from flying way over my head.

6. Dazliare

Dazliare IncGamers Member

ND - WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN *grumpy*

We miss you here man! Especially me :3

7. GeminiCroquette

Haha yea. I've used Editor name removed in the past, I'd just use that if I wanted epic loots in 30 seconds flat. :p I'm interested in doing some legit playing / muling, so I'll stay away from the Editing temptation.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
  8. GeminiCroquette

No worries, I have no interest in participating here by trading with others, I just wanted to get in on some "legit" single player action with GoMule.

When it regains focus, GoMule currently checks the timestamps of the files it has open and alerts you that they have changed, then reloads them after you hit "ok". I've made a modification to mine that alerts you, but doesn't force you to hit OK, it just pops up a dialog while it loads the character, and then the dialog disappears on its own. I have a dual monitor setup and leave GoMule on my right monitor while I play D2 windowed on my left. In between every few runs, I just mouse over to GoMule, "Pick All" from my inventory, then "Drop All" into my stash file, then it's back to levelling/mf runs.

As far as the amount of Java required, just 1 year of classes is probably not enough to understand exactly what's going on in the source. I've got tons of programming experience in my background, so the change was pretty easy to identify and change :)

9. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Mod-making is not done here; as per the FAQ.

Nor is it acceptable to mention the names of game editing programs here.

This community tries very hard to be legitimate and editor use is not accepted here. Please read the FAQ/rules and then PM me if you have further questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.