Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Anyone else Impressed by Blizzard's work on the AH?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Market & Economy Discussion Forum' started by Azzure, Apr 18, 2012. | Replies: 19 | Views: 1606

1. Azzure

Azzure IncGamers Member

Anyone else Impressed by Blizzard's work on the AH?

Last night I was looking at the Auction House, and I came to realize that Blizzard had done a very good job with it. It has certainly come a long way. I think the inherent ease-of-use and accessibility will make it viable for many non-hardcore/casual players to use Real Money in the game. Much more so than I initially thought.

- The interface is extremely simple and easy to use (I love the Category-structure)
    - The AH Storage concept is very intelligent.
    - The way Commodities are pooled for easy selling and buying is brilliant.
    - The variable fee structures depending on item-type
    - Searching for equipment is a monumentally hard thing to do in a Diablo game due to random affixes, stats etc. The concept of choosing your character and having it filter out the stuff that is well-below your current equipment etc is very smart and goes a long way.

I really can't think of any other features that it needs, or any changes that would benefit it further. Seems like they have everything covered. It's elegant and practical, and I think they could've done a lot worse.
  2. FizzyBubbly

FizzyBubbly IncGamers Member

Re: Anyone else Impressed by Blizzard's work on the AH?

I Agree.

There has obviously been countless hours focused completely on the development of what we see as the Auction House today.
    Right now I am very happy with what I see.
  3. Amarules

Amarules IncGamers Member

One thing I couldn't find when playing with it myself was an actual text input search function (though I havn't been on in a patch or so).
    I found sometimes searching using the dropbox filters still required me to trawl through several pages to find an item.

I also found the listing format a bit odd. If I sorted by buyout price I would see for example:

pages 1-14: Items selling for say 1 million gold gradually down to 100 gold.

But then page 15 would show items going from 1 million gold and continue decreasing through to page 22 or so.
    These waves of high->low were annoying. If I click sort on buyout I expect the first item on the first page to cost the most, and the last item on the last page to cost the least. I can see for myself any other info such as duration left.

Anybody know a bit more on the way this works as I found it quite frustrating knowing I had to browse through many extra pages in case I missed an item I was after.
  4. Enlil

Enlil IncGamers Member

I agree with what you say about the waves of high-low, often the listing didn't seem to make much sense in the order they were listed such as list by dps often items with lower dps appear higher on the listing than an item with higher dps.

Overall I think Blizzard has done a good job with the AH, but I believe with have only seen a basic beta version of it and the release version will have the problems you mentiond fixed along with perhaps a more featured interface with more options. I'm sure there will be updates to the AH with patches adding in things like character selling and other unforseen features.

I'll be clicking the AH button before "start game" on may 15, just to check it out live finally for myself.

5. FaultyYogurt

FaultyYogurt IncGamers Member

Functionality and design is pretty good, I'd say. Though there is still some silliness like it currently showing mostly expired bids for me and being very slow...

I think the whole experience would be even better if they had 1) an API, 2) gift cards that people can buy at a retail store, and 3) included a couple of bucks with retail copies.
  6. jwfcp

jwfcp IncGamers Member

just glad that the minimum value on the mf preferred stat finally works.

its a solid ah interface, it just needs some price tracking to encourage market participation by reassuring people that theyre getting a fair deal. well, by "need" I mean "I want" :p
  7. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

I'll be impressed if it holds up under the load on day 1.
  8. Torian

Torian IncGamers Member

well - searching for +damage rings still doesnt work...
    and there is no filter for +any damage on a weapon
  9. Baalat

Baalat IncGamers Member

to be honest, with the money they have they could have done better
    for example two things that I miss:
    1. History/trend info for stackable items (gold, resources, pages, even gems)
    2. Time orders, where I can set a maximum prize for a big bunch of a resource to be bought over a period of time
  10. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

Yes it's plain, simple and easy to use.

I hope they keep it to that (which I think they will), the AH and RMAH is one of the major reason why this game will last beyond what was D2.
  11. dextrose

dextrose IncGamers Member

I think its fine, and I expect to see a few iterations of it over the life of D3.

Not having a text box to query with is a major letdown IMO. If I know I want a Stone of Jordan, I want to be able to search for those. Not click a bunch of filters to look at rings.

There's a bunch of minor technical things that I kinda understand why they implemented the AH the way they did, but I don't really like it. For instance, there's no way to look at every single piece of gear on the AH once there's any considerable volume on the AH for the item type. Not a problem most people will have (how many Cracked Sashes can one look at?), but comparing to MMO AHs, it's a bit lacking because of things like this.

For 99% of people out there, I think it'll be fine. The recommended items screen is revolutionary IMO, and will be the most salivated over screen in all of video game history. The 1% who really want to dig down though, they're a bit left in the cold.

Still, I can't be negative about it. It's mighty nice, and adds so much to the game I can't be anything less than thrilled.
  12. jwfcp

jwfcp IncGamers Member

Theres a box, that doesnt work yet, but having a spot for it on the ui is a huge boon to that end
  13. AKUder

AKUder IncGamers Member

I think one of the big things with showing every single item, is the vastness of how many items will be there. There will probably be millions of items posted at any given time because the auction house will be accessible to millions of people, unlike the AHs of WoW, which are limited by the number of people on a server.

14. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

Having tried the open beta now I can say I am unimpressed by the commodity system.

If I want to buy 15 subtle essence I don't want some random quote of what it might cost, followed by me getting items and maybe some money back. I want to say "I want to buy 15 subtle essence and I don't want to pay more than xx per unit, buy as many as possible".

The way it is now I'll want to buy commodity items individually (or the minimum number i can try and buy with the 100g minimum) for a more accurate price.

I also didn't like the way the price to sell at defaulted to some number (I guess the base cost to vendor that commodity?). I realise that the previous days average wasn't working, but that's the number I hope they default it to, otherwise careless people are going to sell things far under value and get screwed for no good reason.
  15. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Beta AH was bugged as hell. Interface and searching features (when they actually do work) are definitely better than the WoW AH and help you find stuff, but I was expecting something much more advanced. They really need to allow you to give stat weighting for items to be able to sort items by "score". That's really the only way to find the "best" item according to your standards, and then buy the highest-scoring item that is up for a price you can afford (or better - filter by max price, which definitely is a nice feature that does currently exist).

Haven't tried commodities, since with the little time I had the only stuff I wanted to buy are stuff I'm going to get a chance to use before the open beta ends.

Overall - The AH is nice but could really be much better without *too* much effort. Ignoring the terrible bugs of course - Assuming they'll be fixed by release.
  16. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

Compare it to WoW. It still lacks even basic search functionality. It's awful.

There's a ton of bugs in it yet, bugs constantly being discovered. I was looking forward to it until they revealed the RMAH. And then this. And ick the interface.

But has it been improved? Yes. That's not saying much.
  17. doggyfish

doggyfish IncGamers Member

I dont think string search will be implemented anytime soon, because it will be VERY VERY VERY slow.

Ppl r comparing d3 AH with wow, but wow has a cap on players per server, which also limited the items in AH.
  18. Catastrophe

Catastrophe IncGamers Member

String search exists, but only for legendary items. I'm fine with that since that's the only place where string search is useful. If you want an SoJ, you can browse only SoJs. And because of random ranges, random modifiers, and sockets, each SoJ can be unique.

For magic and rare items you don't use string search, you use modifier search. Pick the modifiers that you want from a pulldown menu as if you were designing the item. And then uh, I hope someone is selling what you want?

Commodities could use a change. I'd like to see what the 10 cheapest listings are, how long it has been since the last sale (probably a fraction of a second), and what the last successful sale prices and volumes were. Otherwise buying them as-few-as-possible at a time is best, and that's lame.
  19. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

One more thing, I couldn't find which stat corresponds to "of wounding" modifiers. I was also really missing the "filter by DPS", "filter by average weapon damage" and "sort by average weapon damage".

In the end, in order to really use the AH efficiently, they'll have to let us assign a scoring system where we can use to give each item a "score" value. Similar to what you would get from a spreadsheet in games where you can actually calculate the value of stats, except of course in D3 you can't really calculate them - Only estimate their value, but the value would still be meaningful and useful for filtering items. I don't really care if an item boosts all my damage by 5% or boosts my attack speed by 5% (as a Barbarian), but currently I can't tell the AH to show me items that have at least 1 of those stats. In beta this isn't a big deal since the number of affixes is small, but it would make browsing a nightmare (or hell, or even inferno) at higher levels when a lot more affixes are available. And I didn't even touch the pricing issue, since setting a max price obviously isn't enough (though it can go a long way to help you browse once you can set a proper scoring system)...
  20. jwfcp

jwfcp IncGamers Member

Yes it does: "attack speed %" and "weapon damage %". It would be nice if there were some collapseable grouping withing that drop down- stats over in this pile, flavors of +dmg in that pile, crits/procs in a heap over here, class specific things in those piles etc but we're way to close to release to quibble now. believe me, once people are inferno, blizzard will be feeling the full wrath of mildly inconvenienced neckbeards everywhere.