Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Any (Viable) Builds With Spectral Blades and/or Wave of Force?

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by Valeli, Jul 15, 2013. | Replies: 6 | Views: 7493

1. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

I decided to mess with this game briefly after a long, long time away from it. No clue what's changed, but I'm sure a ton has (those Books of Cain weren't around last time I played).

I'm trying to figure out if I want to play with a wizard or DH (solo/SC this time. Self found till 60, then will probably use the gold AH). For wizard, two of my favorite spells have always been the above (spectral blades and wave of force). Clearly, neither of these can make a top cookie cutter wizard that can romp through mp10. I don't really care. If I did DH, I think I have my build figured out. I feel I'd probably prefer a wizard though, if I was able to play with the above somehow.

What I'm looking for is a build that will be able to work passably well on mp1, killing things fast enough and avoiding death well enough that I don't simply get amazingly frustrated. I used to play HC back when I did, so SC is nice in that I feel it frees up several passive/active skill slots. But does anyone have any ideas on what I might want to combine with either/both of those skills?

Or are those skills just really bad to make a build around - even a build that's not shooting to be particularly great.
  2. Speedster

Speedster IncGamers Member

I've been playing a spectral/meteor/CM build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Greer-1174/hero/7524424

She's strong in MP5-MP6, solo. The only time she bogs down is in a public game where the other 3 players are <100K dps, because there's no way to keep the crowd frozen long enough.

I'm finding this to be my favorite, mostly because you're always in the middle of battle, not trying to fight as a ranged character, and with the meteors going it feels like the sort of epic, elemental walking source of destruction you'd imagine a wizard should be.

I formerly played her as a traditional CM/Wicked Wind wizard, but got bored and couldn't keep up the button mashing for very long.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  3. IntellectSucks

IntellectSucks IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/IntellectSuc-1385/hero/14877747

This is the most fun build that I've used after using a few of them, mostly kiting. I did try archon but don't think my gear is enough to really pull it off, or else I just couldn't figure out how to play it right. Just make sure you get either a TON of Arcane Power On Crit or a big badass 2 handed weapon or you'll run into big time AP problems. With better gear you could probably swap out galvanizing ward for a better passive as well.
  4. Kyrandia

Kyrandia IncGamers Member

Spectral Blades is definitely viable, and a lot of fun! But I don't think the combination with Wave of Force works well: for SB you want the monsters close to you, while WoF pushes them away.

Anyway, here's my Melee Wizard build. It is surprisingly safe, and kills reasonably fast. Note: I am playing on Torment-1 (single player) and my gear is not great (damage ~100k) although I have decent amount of life-on-hit.

Skills:
    Spectral Blade Thrown Blade
    Blizzard Stark Winter
    Frost Nova Cold Snap
    Diamond Skin Crystal Shell
    Explosive Blast Short Fuse
    Ice Armor Crystallize

Strategy:
    Thrown Blade gives SB a great range. Not only does this make it safer, it allows you hit many monsters at once. It effectively turns SB into an AoE skill. Blizzard and Ice Armor together guarantee that all monsters are either chilled or frozen all the time.

Tactics:
    Cast Blizzard on a group of monsters. Run into the pack, Explosive Blast. Start hitting with SB. Use Frost Nova (if necessary). Explosive Blast as soon as it comes off cooldown, Blizzard again as soon as the previous runs out. Repeat.
    Diamond Skin only in emergencies, like being stuck between walls while standing in arcane/molten/desecrate.

Kiting is barely necessary. Melee monsters are dead before they reach you, ranged monsters can be taken out with Blizzard and/or running up to them and SB/EB.

Have fun!
  5. galtzaiLe

galtzaiLe IncGamers Member

Not unless you rune for it.
  6. Mortalo

Mortalo IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WdYXfP!bZe!acZacc
    That's what I was using on PTR.
    Spectral Blades - Flame Blades - each hit grants bonus damage from fire skills.
    Wave of Force - Heat Wave - clears huge packs of monsters around you.
    Meteor - Molten Impact - One Huge Damage. Nice for sth bigger and standing.
    Frost Nova and Diamond Skin for melee protection.
    Ice Armor - Frozen Storm - it was working well with Thunderfury.

I was having a lot of fun with that build.
  7. LeeVanDam

LeeVanDam IncGamers Member

Spectral Blades has been greatly improved now, so I'm sure a ton of people will be using it. Here's my current build.

Spectral Blades - Fire Blades (the damage boost to other skills is very noticeable)
    Arcane Orb - Scorch (The DoT is much better than I originally thought)
    Energy Twister - Gale Force (The DoT and damage boost for fire skills is so good!)
    Mirror Image - Duplicates (is very faithful and reapplying the damage boost to many targets during the fight)
    Teleport - Safe Passage (the damage reduction is very helpful and can be reapplied often)
    anything you want (I'm normally defensive with this slot, but you only need the 5 skills above for this build to work)

For Passives, the important one is Illusionist since it almost always resets the cooldown when you're hit for the very first time which allows you to get the damage reduction from teleport and recast Mirror Image for more damage, taunting, etc. Dominance is good when you're fighting a huge pack of mobs since the shield will renew itself during the carnage... but a good substitute for that when you're fighting a boss may be Galvanizing Ward since not getting hit will renew it. I'm also playing around with damage boost passives... so if anyone has suggestions let me know!!

Quick Vid trying to finish a cursed chest - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3G6AosyxbA&list=UUgdNruQbmHvb1nSBmIwuHUg

Longer video through Act 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSEctfiqkYI

I'm trying a lot of different avenues with this build, so I'll have a video showing off a big time shell due to mirror images soon.