Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Any Ideas how to make an effective build now?

Discussion in 'Witch Doctor' started by Kailenaa, Aug 22, 2012. | Replies: 65 | Views: 21990

1. Kailenaa

Kailenaa IncGamers Member

Blah, im trying with Rain of Toads + Spider Queen and zombie dogs but thats taking me soooo long to kill anything..
  2. flint

flint IncGamers Member

Plague Toads - Rain of Toads
    Acid Rain - Slow Burn
    Spirit Barrage - Manitou
    Soul Harvest - Soul To Waste
    Spirit Walk - Jaunt
    Zombie Dogs - any but the life link rune

Vision Quest
    Pierce The Veil
    Spirit Vessel

Note: I only play hardcore so survival is always my top priority, there are probably faster builds available, you may want to try switching Slow Burn for Zombie Bears and Pierce the Veil for Gruesome Feast
  3. Kailenaa

And items? Loh needed for that? i got 600-700 AR, 26k dmg, 70k hp, 214% MF
  4. flint

flint IncGamers Member

Well I have 1000 LoH but it is major overkill. I'd advise having some though, maybe 300-400ish? Your stats are better than mine (although I have 1000 loh and 780 life regen) and I rip through Act 2 Inferno on hardcore.
  5. Kailenaa

Act II is damn too easy for me. Im on Act III. Before patch with zombie bears it was just fine. Now i have serious problems finding good build.
  6. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

7. Kailenaa

8. Chaosmage

Chaosmage IncGamers Member

For anybody having problems with DPS output try acid cloud with lob blob bomb.

This was already pretty useable prior to the patch but now it got a huge damage boost. In addition to the regular acid cloud damage (115% +50% dot) you get an additional 150% for the 3 blobs you can have. You can't spam this but you don't need to either since the acid cloud doesn't stack and you can only have 3 blobs. So in effect that's 315% dps.

Mix with any primary offensive skill.
    It's not as strong as zombie bears was since that is effective 708% dps but in most situations it's better because you don't loose time for positioning and almost always hit something.

Also since most people will probably go for zombie dogs sacrifice can't hurt, you need pickup radius to use it effectively though (circle of life is now 30%) Don't discard their damage either since they rarely die now. I think once everybody has tweaked their gear to the new situations the dps output of the WD will be just as good.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  9. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

The build my WD is using right now looks like this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WRUYTQ!adg!bacaaY

Except for a 900 LoH ~600 dps dagger and a couple of pieces of gear I found myself, he's using all the stuff he beat hell with (required level 58 or so gear). 37k hp, ~300 all res, 2900 armor with enchantress, 20k dps... and he destroys stuff in A1. Zombie dogs only die on the absolute worst packs, usually the packs where I can't manage to get myself into the middle of combat so that I can pump a ton of LoH out to the dogs by letting myself get damaged. He's at least as powerful as he was when I used VQ bears; he kills a little bit slower but he's incredibly safe while doing it. With BBV up and everything working, I was tanking molten, arcane, plague; you name it.

I experimented with Manitou but it doesn't seem to help very much; in the easy situations it's just one little addition, while in the hard spots it doesn't really provide survivability. BBV (Ghost Trance) helps my LoH through the attack speed increase and gives me and my minions ~2k life per second on top of that. Anyone whose dogs die in close fights should give it some thought; the effectiveness of it is multiplied by having all those minions, while with other BBV runes aren't anything special in particular with it.
  10. Mcstrife

Mcstrife IncGamers Member

Interesting build Karth. I just hit 60 with my WD yesterday so still experimenting and at the moment using this:http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#afRYTV!adU!accaZZ.

I only started in act 1 inferno, but it's going pretty well. Got some LoH and res to get me started. Corpse bomb might not be a common choice (?) but in my experience it's brilliant for large groups of small, fast enemies if you place the bombs correctly. The more bulky ones I take down with bears and my pets keep me pretty safe.

However, I do fear the elite packs since I now have to deal with vortex and walls and jails and whatnot, and I don't have a real 'oh snap' button.
  11. torand

torand IncGamers Member

I am still playing around with which runes I like best, but (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#gRZUTY!afc!aaaccY) is my build. I think I am going to go back to leaching beasts on the dogs, and might move to slow burn on the acid rain. Leaching beasts makes very little difference , but then again, so does every zombie dog rune :(.

My current gear (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/RufRemraf-1664/hero/154658). I have 0 LOH. Between spirit walk [Healing Journey], potions, and life globes, I don't feel I need any. I can do either act 2 or 3 comfortably, but I find act 3 killing slow enough to not be worth it. I also will do Whimseyshire runs here and there. Although I can clear the place, I tend to die once or twice a run to some of the harder elite/champion packs.

What I have personally found playing around with my spec is that you pretty much need two "Mana Regen" type passives to make up for Vision Quest. Blood Ritual + One of (Vision Quest, Rush of Essence, or Spirtual Attunement) puts me on par mana wise with where I was with just vision quest. I have used bears, and I can still spam them with two regen passives, but I find acid cloud to be safer, and the targeting less frustrating. I like not having to be anywhere near monsters to hit them, and not having bears run in strange directions nowhere near what I clicked.
  12. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

My current hardcore spec:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SUYTRQ!aUe!YccZaZ

I'm only farming act 1, but I can pretty much blast most elites to oblivion with acid rain without even using BBV. BBV helps with butcher, or tougher elite packs, or if I happen to start a fight with an elite pack without any mana. In group play I run OOM spamming acid rain before the elite pack is dead, and presumably in the higher acts solo that would be a problem as well, but it is a great a1 farming spec.
  13. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

My spec is currently: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/UnclePain-1924/hero/23780660

And yes, before you mention it, a lot of my gear stinks. I self-find. That's why I still wear that lvl 38 helmet and some other crap pieces.

But, I can well manage act 2 up to Maghda (haven't tried further with anyone yet) with this setup.

The link might say that I'm using Spiritual Attunenment. That's been swapped for Blood Ritual. It doesn't benefit my pets (since I'm not using Fierce Loyalty), but it benefits me, and Reflect Damage mobs are what hurt the most. With no LOH, the regen helps immensely.

I might swap out ZH passive for FL. Not sure. I might even get rid of Grasp for Zombie Bears, even though I don't care much for them... in A2 it takes more time to wipe out some elite packs w/o a specific elite-mashing skill like that.

Or maybe sacrifice JF and go with BR/ZH/FL? I'm gonna have to play around with this setup.

Playing with the gear you've got, rather than the gear you want, switches things up. But I'm still impressed that I can actually farm part of A2 with a pet-doc now. 1.0.4 more or less made her the toughest chica out of the bunch.
  14. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Since the new pets are highly effective at tanking or just absorbing damage for you from ranged attackers, I started using a glass cannon spec after the patch and so far I'm pretty happy with it. Here it is: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/HardRock-2380/hero/3410205

If I still have trouble with incoming damage (some parts of Act 2 and beyond) I switch Spiritual Attunement to Circle of Life and Pierce the Veil to Jungle Fortitude.

Gameplay is simple: melt stuff and keep your pets alive, you're dead without them. Melt clustered enemies with Acid Cloud and scattered enemies with Locust Swarm. LS does wonders against group of fleeing fallens and wasps in Act 2. Against strong, solitary targets (for example Golgors) use Poison Darts. I use Zombie Charger only against Elites. Keep spamming it and the dropping health globes, your extended pickup radius and Gruesome Feast will take care of your mana regen.

I cleared Act 2 easily with this build and Act 1 is a joke. For Act 3 I don't have enough damage to burst down the Elites (usually manage to bring them down to half the HP before dying). My gear is from the AH mostly (except for the amulet) and without the weapon it cost about 800k gold, so I think it's a pretty cheap way to clear Inferno Act 2. The weapon cost a few mils (it was overpriced in my opinion), but you can find really good two-handers with 1k DPS and INT for much cheaper than that, usually around 500k gold.

EDIT: I've changed my gear and skills since I wrote this post. Here's the build I used originally: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#ahdfRT!bYW!aaccZa
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  15. luizdeh

luizdeh IncGamers Member

My build currently is this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#SZUhYT!aYW!cbcacZ

Stats are 57k HP, 4k armor, 380~420 resists and 32k unbuffed dps (with enchantress). Did Act 1 with lower dps and it was a complete joke, didn't die a single time, neither did the Garg. Act 2 was a bit tougher, died a few times, no biggie.
    Act 3 is a challenge, although extremely doable. If I can keep my Garg alive, I don't die. Death is Life, along with 18k HP from globes, is paramount to make this effective.

I pretty much use GotD on cooldown, stutter-step Ghost Bomb from a distance and try to Spirit Walk around gathering globes, which also works splendidly with Gruesome Feast. A basic rotation goes GotD -> walk-in apply LS, back out -> spam Ghost Bomb -> keep an eye out for globes -> spirit walk to reposition and find globes as needed -> repeat. Haven't skipped any mobs.

I was using Horrify with armor rune instead of ZDs, but I felt I needed the extra tanking for Act 3. Some of my gear is self found, others are from GAH, didn't spend more than 2mil I think.
  16. HardRock

I just noticed, that resummoning your Gargantuan seems to reset Restless Giant's enrage cooldown, meaning that it can activate every 60 seconds, less with Grave Injustice and/or Tribal Rites. This makes it an extremely good skill and rune option. I assume this is a bug, because the rune probably wouldn't state the 120 seconds cooldown explicitly if this would be the intended behavior.

EDIT: The enrage can also activate twice per Elite or Boss this way. Nice.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  17. Porkchopsamwich

Porkchopsamwich IncGamers Member

It's great to see all of these builds. I feel like there are so many interchangable parts with the witch doctor now, and zombie dogs have almost become a standard! One of the only skills I didn't see is haunt, and maybe horror.

I'm trying some skills I didn't use much in inferno before this patch, and having a great time. Currently I'm using Firebomb with firepit, direbats and locust swarm for my offensive abilities. These are the main skills I'm swapping around and trying different runes for. I've tried spirit barage and haunt, but they're not my favorites. I really like acid cloud, and I'm considering either the lob blob or corpse explosion in exchange for direbats. Torand has corpse explosion in his build at the top of the page, and that's made me want to try it haha.

Zombie dogs are AMAZING tanks now, it's unbelievable the crap they can endure. In act 3 I can have 4 dogs eat up damage or clog doorways for more than enough time to either kill the entire pack, sacrifice and respawn more dogs, or the group has been whittled down to one or two monsters and my dog cooldown is almost ready. Rarely am I caught without dogs when I need them, unless I'm having a sacrifice party at a bad time.

I want to try a build where sacrifice is used more often and gargantuan is around to help just in case my dogs are all gone... I guess spirit walk could be removed for gargantuan, but without spirit walk death comes a lot easier. It's pretty easy to get screwed by fire chains, jailer, frozen orbs, waller, etc. and without an "escape" skill like spirit walk it's game over buddy.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MagicJohnson-1447/hero/2210274

Here's my guy and my build, it's very similar to what a lot of you are doing. That's kind of a surprise to me because I've just been mixing and matching stuff together, but I guess everyone has figured out what's working!
  18. HardRock

I feel the same way, the WD became really fun after the latest patch. Even so, many skills still require tweaks in my opinion, if they are to become useful.

Haunt is a waste of mana currently. I hope it will receive some love in a future patch, because I really like its mechanics. Although even in its current form it could turn out to be really good for PvP.

Horrify is a really good defensive skill. I tried it a couple of times and against normal enemies it's almost a constant CC if you use Grave Injustice and an extended pickup radius, which I usually do. I contemplated using it many times in Act 3, but at the moment I'm trying the brute force method of bursting everything down that stands in my way and I have no space for it. :)

Same here. Spirit Barrage isn't that bad, but it could use a mana cost reduction. It also has a long travel time, so it feels laggy. IMHO it should be positioned as a kind of spammable ability (about 2/3 of its current cost would allow this for certain builds), which it isn't at the moment and so there are better options. Still, Manitou can be useful for single-target kiting and the Well of Souls rune is decent against Elite groups.

Take a look at Acid Rain as well. While it only extends the instant damage's range, which is kinda on the low end, with good gear it's still amazing. At the moment I use it for Act 1 farming instead of Locust Swarm (with 32k base DPS) and I really like it.

Running a Sacrifice-heavy build (meaning a build where Sacrifice is your main AoE) is definitely possible, especially with the newly buffed Circle of Life, but in my opinion you need to be able to burst down Elites to at least about 2/3 of their HP before these builds become safe, otherwise the Elites will overwhelm you when you run out of dogs. I plan to try a build like this eventually in Inferno (used one for leveling, but that's not the same :)). It may turn out to be more feasible than I think.

19. Porkchopsamwich

Porkchopsamwich IncGamers Member

Thanks for your thoughts HardRock! I'll be checking out the WD threads more often to see what's cooking.
  20. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

I wouldn't say that. With the Draining Spirit rune, it actually returns more mana than it costs. For fun, I ran with a Haunt, Spirit Barrage Phantasm, and Locust Swarm build in Act 3 with the Rush of Essence passive. It killed fine and it was actually hard to run out of mana. Not to say that it was an optimum set up, but there is a world of difference between something being non-optinum and something being a waste.