Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

And in the irony department...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Anyee, May 1, 2004. | Replies: 30 | Views: 1184

1. Anyee

Anyee IncGamers Member

2. sam_manzanza

sam_manzanza Banned

:lol: Good to know we have people who are careful with guns educating children about them.

Sam

3. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

what would add more is if the children went home and shot themselves.

4. swami

swami Banned

Thankfully the gun was pointed at the ground. It would have been a bit different if one of the kids got shot in a gun safety presentation :grrr: .

Why the gun safety presentation to kids anyway? :scratch:

5. th5418

th5418 Banned

Why exactly would the gun be loaded...

6. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Maybe it was to prove a point, even though the audience member said it wasn't loaded it really was and the guy got shot.

I remember as a child I thought if you shot bullets at mirrors they would bounce back :lol:

7. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

On the bright side, I'm sure those kids will be a lot more careful with guns in the future than they would have been otherwise. :D

Because guns are dangerous, and it would be nice if we could prevent accidents among children. The "stick-your-head-under-a-rock" approach rarely works for other things (Sex, Drug use, etc.), so why would it work for guns?

8. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Something's kinda fishy here. He pulled the magazine, so the only way a bullet could have been in there to fire would be if he had one in the chamber. When he pulled the slide back any bullet in the chamber would have fallen out, either through the top or the bottom depending on how he was holding it. Guns also don't fire just by releasing the slide either, the firing pin shouldn't be able to come into contact with the bullet (that itself couldn't have been in the chamber based on the story) at all in that situation.

I'm sure he shot himself, but under the conditions described in this article to the best of my knowledge it would have literally been completely impossible.

9. swami

swami Banned

Would it not be better to give a gun safety presentation to adults? i.e. How to NOT let your firearm(s)/tank/bazooka/whatever else constitutional right bullcrap fall into the hands of chidlers? An adult audience would be better able to comphrehend the dangers of liitle timmy shooting baby sister alice in the face, no? :scratch:

10. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Well, the article says it was a mixed group of adults and "students" without naming a ratio of adults to students or an age group for the students.

I think it's good to educate both. I think any of us who have been a child at Christmas know you can't hide anything from a child for very long, I'd want mine to know not to play around with my gun in the event they found it.

I still don't see how this accident was possible if the story's accurate though.

11. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

I started using guns (hunting with my father, skeet shooting et.c) when I was 11ish. I think that's pretty common in America actually.

12. faultless wonderboy

faultless wonderboy IncGamers Member

What more would you expect from an agent of the DEA?

13. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

one in the chamber.....one in the chamber....

14. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

A better aim? ;)

15. faultless wonderboy

faultless wonderboy IncGamers Member

No accounting for sound judgment, however...

16. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Would it not be better to give sex education courses to adults? i.e. How to NOT let your chidlren get into sexual situations? An adult audience would be better able to comphrehend the dangers of unprotected sex, no?

See the problem? You're assuming that:

1. Parents do what they're supposed to. Ask Anahka about this.
    2. Children will only ever see a gun in their own household.

Teaching children how not to shoot themselves and others by accident is a worthwhile goal, I think. But I know, teaching children gun safety turns them into serial killers or something, right? :rolleyes:

17. swami

swami Banned

I had a think along those lines myself and came to the conclusion that you can't really compare guns to sex and drugs. Adults only have so much control over the sex lives of their children. You can't prevent access to sexual situations you'd deem inappropriate. You can't take sex away from people. If they wanted it that bad they'd get it. Hence the need for education.

I'm not totally convinced the same can be said of firearms. In order for a child to get hold of a firearm in the first place, an adult at some point would have to seriously mess up, right? i.e. fail to properly secure the weapon, leave a young DasIst unsupervised with Papa's gun etc. etc. Unless in America you have a way for children to get direct access to firearms as adults do. I'm assuming you don't.....

No, i don't believe they will do what they're supposed to do with guns. In fact I am a firm believer in the stupidity of the general public; hence my position that educating adults about gun safety in regards to children getting access to them.

No, I don't believe that. But I think that an adult would have to foul up somewhere along the line before a child will get to handle a loaded gun.

18. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Thought I would just point out the similarity there.

19. Kore

Kore IncGamers Member

I think everyone there learned a valuable lesson.

I'd also like to add my voice to Duped's question. How could it get fired in the way described in the article? From what I've seen the way you unload a gun is to take out the magazine and then pull the slide to unload the chamber incase there's something in there.

20. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

If that's to me, the one in the chamber would have fallen out when he opened the slide. Assuming he even carries with one in the chamber, which the higher-capacity law enforcement mags make a little less likely.