Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

An honest opinion of the current beta from a lifelong D2 veteran.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by Andy2702, Apr 21, 2012. | Replies: 120 | Views: 6837

1. Andy2702

Andy2702 IncGamers Member

An honest opinion of the current beta from a lifelong D2 veteran.

Hello everyone,

I normally don't post here anymore but I just wanted to give my thoughts after playing the D3 open beta. I will of course throw in my own personal opinions for my fellow members to discuss on, so please, take this for what it is - a rambling review beyond the obvious game mechanics, from an experienced fan to the Diablo games.

It seems to me that a lot of experienced D2 players who have played the game on and off for a decade (myself included) feel that D3 is quite different in its "feel", and that's something much, much, MUCH more subtle than just artistic direction or general gameplay. The excitement and wow factor is still there, but it has been modernized in the sense that its less appealing to diehard fans who have lived with the Diablo franchise since the 1990s. Basically too much emphasis is being placed on attracting new fans to the series, which is great for business, but just makes the game a bit too "noob" friendly and quite the different feeling while playing it. The result is a split amongst long time fans who will try their best to accept and adapt to this new game in the series, and new fans who will accept D3 because it is a great game, nonetheless.

I think a great analogy here would be to compare this situation with the original Defense of the Ancients (DotA) on Warcraft 3 and games such as League of Legends (LoL) or Heroes of Newerth (HoN). Before you guys turn your flamethrowers on, please let me explain, as I am not undermining either of those games.

LoL is what I'll refer to as the "modernized" version of DotA. The gameplay is generally the same, the objectives are relatively the same, and tons of people have so much fun playing it. The graphics and user-friendliness features are improved for the modern gaming audience, and that's awesome. But for a DotA player to transition into LoL full time, that player just knows in the back of his head that there is something off, that it's just not the same as DotA. The games have all the same components, but it's just doesn't feel "right", playing a different version designed by a different company attempting to model the same genre (another example would be Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare and Treyarch's Modern Warfare, you get my point). That ex-DotA player no doubt will have fun playing LoL, and will continue to play LoL, but that's because the emphasis on gaming has shifted with time, and it's either go with the flow or get left behind. LoL players who have never played DotA will enjoy the game because it's new and it's fun, without properly acknowledging the awesomeness of the original, but that's just gaming. Other people probably have also said that new D2 players back in the day never fully appreciated the original D1 and that the changes made were too different (but then again, D2 was much closer to D1 than D3 currently is to D2, lol that was confusing).

So that's how a lot of hardcore D2 players I know feel. They're caught up in a generational change, and they're feeling nostalgic at the elements that made D2 magical that they no longer feel in D3. They enjoy D3, don't get me wrong, but look at the newcomers to the Diablo series and feel a tinge of jealousy and frustration at the newcomers discovering that magic for the first time in a game that really doesn't feel like it modeled D2 or used its foundation properly (used loosely here). D3 is a different game - It's the LoL/DotA 2/HoN to DotA, for better or for worse. I could nitpick all day at little things, but for now, I'll just try my best to appreciate the new features and hope the real game that comes out May 15th will reignite my love for the series.

Yes, I delve in the past, but don't we all since D2 was an important part of our childhood gaming?

Newcomers will never understand :dontknow:.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2012
  2. Andy2702

Andy2702 IncGamers Member

Re: An honest opinion of the current beta from a lifelong D2 veteran.

On a more technical note, anyone actually know how closely D3 was modeled after D2 (in terms of engine, game mechanics, theory-crafting, programming method, etc.) in its years and years of development with its numerous breaks and extensions and what not?
  3. permaximum

permaximum Banned

- The development of Diablo III started in 2000.

- In 2003 the creators of the franchise (Blizzard North President David Brevik and Vice Presidents Erich and Max Schaefer) left Blizzard and most members of Blizzard North followed them. Former B.North programmer Rick Seis started to lead the project.

- In 2005, Diablo III project was scrapped and Blizzard North was shut down.

- In the second half of 2005, a new team started to work on Diablo III. They only used some concepts from the previous development.

- In 2011, the game was delayed. In 2012, the game was delayed again for approximately 2 more months and PvP was removed from the release.
  4. Urzuxo

Urzuxo IncGamers Member

Diablo 3 is essentially what you described with Dota and Lol. D3 is made by a different company in the sense that all the people behind it are different which you already know.

But times change. I say we leave be the memory of Diablo 2 and appreciate it plenty while we move on and start anew with Diablo 3. I'm feeling positive that we'll end up with two sets of marvelous memories, consisting of both Diablo 2 and the new Diablo 3.

As for your technical question, I believe everything save some lore pieces were scrapped from the "original" Diablo 3. Both games are bound to have some similarities but at the same time be very different. Kind of like two branches growing separate, but still from the same trunk.
  5. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

I'm a D2 veteran AND I'm so relieved that D3 did not turn out to be a D2.5.

The game doesn't feel like D2, it feels exactly like D1.

I can't tell for the rest of the game, but the beta definitely made me reminisce about playing D1 again.

D2 was hardly the true successor to D1, the mood and ambiance of both games are totally different from each other.

Yes D2LOD were fun games and provided many years of entertainment, but it's time to live out of the old little D2 bubble and embrace the real successor to Diablo 1.

6. FluffyTheFluffer

FluffyTheFluffer IncGamers Member

Generally correct, perm.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  7. starrise

starrise IncGamers Member

I tend to agree with the OP. Therefore, to fully enjoy D3, I think D2 needs to be let go. As someone who understands that nostalgia all too well, letting go can sound scary. At the risk of sounding lame and cheesy, it's almost like letting go of a deceased loved one. But this game is not, and never will be, a return to the "magic" of one's play experience with D2, and will have to stand on its own "magic." Free your mind from the need for comparisons and play it for what it is. The enjoyment will come, and you will feel the magic again. Or it won't, and you won't. The world won't end and come crashing down around you. All you are risking is $60 and some time.
  8. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

D2 was harder from an interface standpoint....but honestly, WHY get frustrated because D3 makes the game easier to get into, as long as the gameplay is more compelling? There are many things I loved about D2 just out of nostalgia, but I'm not going to feel bad or jealous that those elements aren't in D3.

Don't think of D3 as lacking the magic of D2 - think of it as bringing NEW magic which D2 never had. In my case, magic that I WISH D2 had, but was missing because game design was not as sophisticated as it is today. That said, D3 definitely isn't a game made by clinically following a design checklist. When I play it, I feel heart, I feel soul which I don't get in almost any other modern-day big-budget title. I feel a game which is made with so much love by those involved. To me, THAT is the real magic of a good Blizzard game, and that's something which D3 has in abundance.
  9. Supernova

Supernova IncGamers Member

D2 was an amazing game and D3 is definitely not D2, nor will it ever come close to it.

That is nostalgia speaking. Anyone who has never experienced previous Diablo games would choose Diablo 3 immediately if given the choice of all three. It is a superior game in many different ways, and older D players like myself need to stop comparing the 2 against 3. Simple as that really... When Diablo 2 was in development, many Diablo fans felt very familiar to what you're describing. That the so called "Magic" was gone and that there was nothing left resembling a Diablo game in the horrible Sequel that was Diablo 2.

Nostalgia was a primary factor back then, and that's exactly what is happening now.... It's hilarity really, and it is how the human brain works tbh. I think about my childhood, and how great it was from time to time, and how I dearly miss those times. Years from now, when I'm hitting my mid to late 50's I will be thinking about how great it was to be in my mid 20's etc. when I absolutely do not feel that way now.

Diablo 3 will be its own game, and some of you need to let go of the not so "perfect" Diablo 2....

And the newcomers, well, they will be blown away and they will have that childlike feeling you had with Diablo 2 so many years ago... But, if you let go, relax, and enjoy D3 to its fullest, you can be a child again too! :thumbup:
  10. FluffyTheFluffer

Ironic, and "de gustibus...".

11. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

You know, I don't think I would be interested in D3 if they wouldn't have made such drastic changes.
  12. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

I'm happy to agree to disagree. There isn't a game I'd be more willing to throw money at, at the moment.

I'm not accusing anyone here specifically, but I think that in general, Blizzard's become an easy target for people to rag on because they're so big now. It's easy to forget that even though the teams that make this game are not Blizzard North, they are still people who are passionate, who love the fans, who love what they're making, and who work phenomenally hard to invigorate the genre even as they pay respects to what came before. I'd take my hat off to them if I could meet them in person.
  13. Doppel

Doppel Banned

I don't really agree with this part.
    I think D3 is much closer to D2 then D2 was to D1. The thing is that D2 actually improved and innovated so many mechanics from D1 (while forgetting to include many things that made D1 great) while D3 more feels like a watered down alternate version of D2 with a "buy item here" function attached to it. It's especially funny (tragic, whatever) when you hear the "D3 defenders" say they're relieved it didn't turn out to be D2.5, but isn't that what it is; technically modernised with severely simplified and streamlined lack luster mechanics and a revised artstyle that fits the current "popular" trend? I think so.

14. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

So very, very, very true.

15. buddah

buddah IncGamers Member

But that is not really fair. The other games are from different decades. People would choose just based on the years 1995, 2000 and 2012 and flashy 3D graphics and fancy promotional campaigns, since they have no experience what the games are about even.

16. FluffyTheFluffer

Seriously, zoot, maybe you're a paid poster, even if so, dial it back just a little bit.

It's a job. A job on a team that just had a bunch of people fired. A job working for a company worth almost 14 billion dollars.

Trust me, if the environment was all about love, dedication and passion, you would probably have more than exactly one guy with a d2 credit still on the team.

17. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

I think it says a lot about how cynical today's gamers are that just because someone loves what's being done with D3 and is excited enough to talk about how much they like it on a forum, they might be a 'paid poster'. That topic even has its own thread, much to my disappointment.

In many ways, it may not even be the game that's changed, just peoples' attitudes.
  18. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

Ok, give D1 & D2 a great 2012 graphical overhaul - people would still choose D3 over D2. I feel pretty confident in saying that.

19. permaximum

permaximum Banned

I'm sure D1 and D2 with 2012's graphics would eat so-called d3 alive.
  20. FluffyTheFluffer

No, the part that makes you sound like a paid poster is where you're engaging in bizarre hero-worship.