Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Amazon build - need help

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Dagaz, Jun 1, 2013. | Replies: 38 | Views: 15962

1. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

I've recently started playing lightning javazon, but quickly lost interest ... the thing is it reminds me too much of some sort of strange combo between zealer and lightning sorc. Now I'm thinking to respec, but ... To what? All in all I guess I'm looking for a different playstyle. So far I've played zeal paladin, lightning and orb sorc, ww barb, fury druid and bone necro. What type of Anazon would you guys reccomend?
    Btw, I've never played any build based on poison damage, but it seems to me that amazon is pretty weak in that department.
    Would be really grateful for any suggestions ;)
  2. KremBanan

KremBanan IncGamers Site Pal

Whats your budget?
  3. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

Upper middle class I guess.
    Oh, and it's SP.
  4. KremBanan

KremBanan IncGamers Site Pal

SP... so that means Ladder rws are out of the question? Do you trade or selffound only?
  5. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

Offered too little info ... Sorry.
    So, yes, is SP and self found; I do however use GoMule muling program and RWM to use ladder runewords.
  6. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator; Clan Officer West

Well, the Javazon is one of the most powerful lightning builds in the game. If it wasn't fun I am not sure how you're going to do with a different Amazon build. Give a Bowazon a try. It takes skill and strategy to play one. I say that because she is not very tough, not a great deal of life or resists, but a good build can be fun. It takes some patience since she is not going to one shot most critters. Take a look at the build guide sticky. Most of those builds are still viable. Not sure what you're looking for but there are several choices in there. Make your choice then come back with any questions you might have.
  7. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

I've been reading those guides on and off for the past few days and bowazon really cought my interest. I've respeced my amazon and so far I can say I really enjoy playing it. I've never really much liked to play bow characters (except D1, but that was ages ago), but I have a feeling this could work well for me.
    I do, however have two (very general) questions:
    - life and mana leech. Do they work the same for bows as for other physical characters? It just seem strnge to me.
    - I choose cold damage bowazon; can someone give me heads up on just how big a problem will be mana later on?
  8. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Freezing Arrow is pretty mana intensive as bow skills go, but it is manageable. You'll need mana leech for sure. Frostburn Gauntlets would also be nice.
  9. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

Thanx. Another question. On Razortail and Stormstrike you can find Piercing attack (33 and/or 25). What does this mean? It is not a skill level, I think. I'd just like to know what the numbers mean. Percentage? Also doubt it.
  10. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

It actually is a percentage. You'd think they'd put the "%" sign in there, right?
  11. Dacar92

Mana is not really a problem later on, especially with some mana lech on items. Get about 15% or 20% total mana leech and what you'll be able to do is use Strafe to gain mana then use Freezing arrow to freeze or slow the next pack, then use strafe again to kill them off. You don't really need to use FA all the time. It will suck your mana dry so you need a physical damage type to regain mana again.

Get a few cold damage charms. We do not use them for the extra damage, although every little bit helps. What they are used for is to lengthen the freeze time.

Let us know how it goes.
  12. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

a few strafes and you should have a full blue bulb if you have a high damage bow and a little leech.
  13. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

Yes, one would think that :D
    However, thanx for the info. I'm leveling her now in NM and it's qutie nice to play in a differenty style. It will be even nicer once I get the mana leech and all res problems in order :D
  14. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

I prefer insight on merc for constant mana regen, and only switch out for mana leech (windeh) against CI bosses or when my mana actually runs dry. My character is geared like a strafer so I'm not even using soj or frostburn or anything but I do fine most of the time (AT runs)
  15. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

Well, I'm closing to level 60 and I must say I really love it! Resistances are not such a problem as I thought at first, mana leech works quite nice.
    I've been thinking about trying to craft some gloves (with my L93 paladin) to clean my mules of low runes and pgems... What type of crafted gloves would you reccomend? (Hitpower, Blood...?) Does it really matter?

p.s. some time ago I found perfect cold facet. Finally; this is a build I'll gladly use it on (but on what item I do not know yet) :D
  16. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Blood is probably your best bet. You probably don't have a lot of sources of crushing blow, and every little bit helps kill big monsters that much faster. The knockback from Hitpower isn't bad, but you don't really need it. Either recipe would work (although it might take a lot of tries to get something really good).
  17. Dacar92

18. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

Wow, that helps a lot. I've always thought the higher the clvl the better ... Oh, well, one of the charms of D2 is that I always learn something new ;)
  19. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

I've been doing some thinking and reading about different approahes and I'm wondering if Lycander's Aim is worth uppgrading? Min dmg is thus lower and max higher, but avarage dmg is basicly the same.
    I am asking because I have a feeling that I will be stuck with that bow for some time - until a Jah comes my way. And a decent GMB/MB.

All in all I really like my frost amazon. Puting a 5/-5 facet in a 15+ Nightwing I recently found really pays off, at least it seems so. Need to play a bit more. On N & NM at p8 she has not died even once, though killing diablo took a LOT of time. I plan to finish NM this weekend. Resistances are a disaser, though.
  20. Dacar92

Can you get yourself a Witchwild String bow? I would look for that rather than upping the Lycanders. IIRC, it will upgrade to Grand Matron Bow (108str/152dex). If those requirements are too high for you then look for options. The upgrade will cost you Pul rune and for that you might be able to get a low Windforce or a Witchwild String.