Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Alien movie franchise.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Machina, Mar 15, 2006. | Replies: 35 | Views: 1288

?

Bots are Evil~

Poll closed Feb 10, 2008.
  1. Burn them! Burn the traitorous dogs! (bots)

25 vote(s)
    58.1%
  2. Everyone has to deal with bots, this would waste resources trying to kill them.

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. I don't feel the effect of bots, except jumping on the occasional Baal-run with a bot.

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  4. Your crazy, bots are helping this game.

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. Machina

Machina IncGamers Member

Alien movie franchise.

Another poll :wave:

Which is your favourite film from the Alien movie franchise? I personally rank them as follows:

Aliens>>Alien: Resurrection>>>Alien>Alien vs. Predator>>Alien³.

Yes I included AvP, a contentious decision, it being a crossover film but I preferred it to Alien³ and I believe in terms of box office it came second only to Aliens. James Cameron also ranked it 3rd in the franchise earlier this year, so that's good enough for me.

I'm not keen on Alien³ but I was pleasantly surprised by Alien: Resurrection, particularly with the poor reputation it has gained. Overall my favourite is easily the extended version of Aliens.
  2. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

you make me want to puke!

Alien>Aliens>Alien:Resurrection>Alien3

how could you possibly have resurrection ahead of ALIEN???

the only reason I even have it ahead of 3 is because of Winona
  3. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

Alien was by far the best film of the four (five if you count AvP as a movie) Aliens was second, as it was a great straight up shootout. Alien 3 was tolerable, but the director made a mistake in the shots through the Alien's eyes, and the unnecessary death of Newt. She could have died in a spectacular, bloody fashion in front of Ripley and made her death-dive into the furnaces more personal. Alien Ressurection, ugh. The final monster was almost Jabba the Hutt bad animatronics. The Marines were laughable, I mean, in Aliens, a team of a dozen kicked a lot of *** before getting eaten, melted or dismemebered, and a whole ship full of soldiers get shown up by a cripple, a clone, and an android?
    AvP should never have been made, at least not in anyway connected to the Alien movies.
  4. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Meh, I hated Ressurection.

Aliens > Alien > Alien 3 > Alien: Res > AvP
  5. MinasMorgul

MinasMorgul IncGamers Member

Aliens>Alien>Alien 3>Resurrection>AvP

They should'ive just ended the Franchise with Alien 3 IMO
  6. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Alien>Aliens.

Those are the only 2 I've seen.
  7. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Aliens >= Alien > Alien 3 <> Alien: Res = AvP = fatuous dross.

Alien was the prototype monster movie for modern cinema. The scenario was added goodness.

Aliens was the closest thing to a heroic war movie that most GenX'ers will ever see; the only other uncompromising "noble war" movies will be fantasy like LotR. Some people joke about understanding orcs; nobody talks about sympathising with the Queen for losing her face-sucker eggs. Where else can infanticide and regicide be celebrated so openly?
  8. Machina

Machina IncGamers Member

If I were to rate them on how good they were for their time then Alien would clearly be best in my opinion, however judging them all together as they stand now I would prefer to watch Resurrection instead of Alien.
  9. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I remember I was a little kid when the original three came out, and I owned almost all of the action figures. They are so badass, I still have them.
  10. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Alien - the original. Great sets and cinematography, well-paced, lots of tension, an atmosphere that is freaky and Lovecraftian without actually cribbing Lovecraft. He would have loved that film had he lived to see it.

The Giger design for the alien costume (that we barely see) is just simply awesome. I love the extended cut of the film too - except for the last bit about the crew turning into eggs for the next batch of nasties. I prefer Cameron's concept with the Queen.

Aliens was a great film too. The others ... well, not quite up to scratch but entertaining. As far as putting them in order of awesomeness, I think Ash got it about right.

AvP sucked in my not so humble opinion. I wasted $20 on two theater tickets for that piece of crap.
  11. garublador

garublador IncGamers Member

I was about to post that same ranking, but I've seen 3 and 4. I'm not sure they're worth ranking.
  12. innorton38

innorton38 IncGamers Member

Aliens > Alien >> Alien 3 >>> Alien Res. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AVP

Aliens is a brilliant, fun, wild action movie. One of the best action movies ever made, in my opinion. Alien was great too but in a more subtle, terrifying way. Alien 3 was fun but tired. Alien Res was boring and stupid. AVP was one of the most disappointing experiences in my cinematic history....
  13. Ash Housewares

yea, Bortaz, you aren't missing out

everyone who liked Aliens better, Aliens is a great movie, I really like it, and I respect all of your opinions (just not Machina, sheesh)
  14. chi987

chi987 IncGamers Member

Alien > Aliens > Alien resurrection > Alien cameo in spaceballs > Alien 3 > AVP
    I liked Alien the most by far because it was the most suited as a horror film. Everything was new in Alien, and the scenary and tone were very well done. The facehugger scene is classic though looking at it now you might not be impressed. I also liked in when there was just one alien prowling around.

Aliens had more action in it and it was entertaining to watch, but it didnt have the same feel as alien. The squad action with the motion detectors were very cool though.

Alien ressurection had a lot of new ideas in it like swimming aliens and whatnot, but it didnt play out so well. Super Ripley was awkward and i didnt really like the characters, although they had the CSI guy and the Quest for fire guy

Alien 3 and AVP were not very good at all. I wasnt impressed by the story in either of them.

(spoilers?)
    A peeve I have with these movies is that there isnt much story in them. A group of people have to survive, all the extras get killed off, and then Ripley escapes in her spacecraft with an alien hitching a ride. I'd go and watch more alien type movies but they are going downhill. The problem is they are making mediocre action movies (doom and halo i predict) when they could make a great horror movie out of something like half-life, system shock or fallout. oh yeah, and they need more sigourney weaver :)
  15. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

Aliens > Alien. The rest don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with the first two.
  16. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

I don't even know of Alien3.
  17. Ash Housewares

stunk, it was in a prison colony
  18. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

The Aliens have a prison colony??
  19. Ash Housewares

nope, it was just an excuse to have alot of people without guns and a lone alien and try to recreate the magic of the original

but they failed failed failed
  20. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Do you know much about movies??