Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Alex Salmond; You Idiot

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kitteh, Feb 7, 2013. | Replies: 4 | Views: 713

1. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

Alex Salmond announed that he is generously adding £10,000,000 to the college funding in Scotland, yey!

Oh, and cutting it by £34,000,000...
  2. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Oh, so you hadn't heard about Obamacare? Welcome to the wonderful world of politics.

I'm sure the difference will be made up for in cost savings and closing of loopholes. No, really.
  3. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

Those cuts are all made up. they're on spending that hasn't happened yet. They're cutting planned spending. All the way out to 2022. I'm sure the OP's politician is playing a similar game.

Also annoying:

Over time? How about cut back on BS procedures now! Raise the deductibles now! Means test it now! the program is almost 1T a year!
  4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I'm confused. So when is it a cut then?

Cuts are always about planned spending. You cannot make cuts on money which has already been spent, right?* Or do you mean they made cuts on budgets for matters which didn't exist before?

For me it's a cut if less money has been spent in total than before. Assigning more to one sub-budget and less to another are just bookkeeper tricks, so I'm not going to enter the minefield about making distinctions between separate budgets. If money from one budget is needed somewhere else, the management will find a trick to turn it into a matter of that budget, often with weird and silly consequences. You will certainly find a few dozens of Dilbert comic strips about it.

* I'm not sure about which kinds of miracles can be produced by bankers, however.
  5. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

I'm not sure about the OP, but in the US the only cut I care about is if it's going to take place in the next ~18 months. More than that and congress flips over and all bets are off. There are exceptions of course. If you are cancelling a program, then you can count on it a bit more, but even then, that spending often goes elsewhere.

We have a group called the CBO that figures out how much cuts are. We use their baseline projections to make these pronouncements of $1T over 10 years, but that's based on their projections--which are frequently way way off. Plus, if there's planned spending increases, and you say I'm going to reduce those planned increases by X, that's not really a cut, that's a reduction of the increase in spending. It's a game both sides play, and even more frustratingly, both sides massage numbers on. Obamacare was one of those games, Romney's tax plan was another that played that game, even this "draconian" sequestration plays that game. The whole thing is even more complicated because we haven't passed a budget in the senate since Blago was indicted.

Blago is the nickname for this character (I included a link because he's a local guy):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Blagojevich

So when i hear things like the OP saying, hey we cut program A by x dollars, and then we put y dollars back in, you gotta wonder, which of those numbers is over a several year period? is it 34M over ten years, but 10M more this year? is that good policy, or good talking points?