Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

AH needs an API

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Market & Economy Discussion Forum' started by CptSlappy, Mar 19, 2012. | Replies: 11 | Views: 2328

1. CptSlappy

CptSlappy IncGamers Member

AH needs an API

Hi all,

i think it's very important for the success of the AH that there is some sort of API which could be used to grab
    current auction with a program. Something similar to what WoW (yes i have just said it :) has: http://blizzard.github.com/api-wow-docs/#id3683980
    Sadly that will not happen at release.

Otherwise it will be nearly impossible or at least very hard to write useful tools for trading, like candle charts and other stuff...

It would be nice to track the price of items over a long time period or the gold/$ ratio.

What do you guys think about it?
  2. Naviaras

Naviaras IncGamers Member

Re: AH needs an API

Opening the door to any code sniffing program, and that is exactly what an AH API would be, is like opening Pandora's Box. I don't expect to see one until Blizzard releases one. If Blizzard open the door to live code data-mining, I could see an unscrupulous person creating a program to change that data. That would break the system. I want the in game RMAH to succeed. I'm tired of questionable 3rd party sites making all the money.

Frankly I'm disappointed with the encryption Blizzard has used on the Beta content. While I haven't data-mined it myself, I've seen it done too easily. The first step in hacking a program is to learn how it handles data.
  3. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

worst idea ever
  4. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

I'd love to see a Blizzard provided web service for fetching AH data for D3. That would allow all sorts of interesting analysis of AH data to be done. 3rd party hacks into the client to gain that kind of functionality on the other hand would make me sad because those willing to ignore the ToS would be gaining an advantage over legit players.
  5. CptSlappy

3rd Party hacks are the worst what could happen and will happen if there is no actually API provided by Blizzard.

@Naviaras: maybe i understand you wrong, but code sniffing is what happens, if there is no official API. An API is the opposite of that
  6. HÃ¥les

HÃ¥les IncGamers Member

For anyone considering an API, here are the data mined strings for the AH as it stands at beta 1.3:

• EnterSecurityCode – Enter Security Code
    • ubmittingConfirmation – Submitting Confirmation
    • ActivationIncomplete – Activation Incomplete
    • ActivationIncompleteError – Please return to Battle.net and make sure you have completed SMS Text activation.
    • AddSMSTextDescription – In order for you to use PayPal, you need to attach a mobile phone to your Battle.net account. This allows us to verify the account via SMS Text. When you are done, click Continue blow.
    • SendCodeDescription – Click SEND CODE below and a one-time use code will be sent to your mobile number on file.
    • SecurityConfimationRequiredText – Your {s1} of {s2} requires a security confirmation via SMS.
    • SecurityCreditCardCodeText – You will find this security code on the front or back of the credit card associated with the following payment method: {s1}
    • ClaimableItemLimitDialogTitle – Stash Limit
    • ClaimableItemLimitDialogOKButton – Close
    • ClaimableItemLimitDialogMessage – Only {s1} |4item:ite; are allowed in your stash at one time. Please send items to your shared stash and try again.
    • TransactionOrderIDTooltip – Order ID: {s1}
    • FeeErrorTooltip – Error retrieving tax and fee information (Error {s1}).
    • VATTooltip – Includes {s1} VAT
    • TaxAppliedTooltip – Includes {s1} Sales Tax
    • TaxUnknownTooltip – Unable to retrieve tax information.
    • FeeUnknownTooltip
      - Unable to retrieve fee information.
    • CompletedAuctionsFeesTooltip
      - Net amount after these fees:{s1}
    • CompletedAuctionsNoFeesTooltip
      - No fees on this transaction.
    • PaymentSourceEBAL – Battle.net Balance
      string2: Shown in the Auction Log’s Deposit/Fund Sources column
    • PaymentSourcePYPL – Paypal
    • PaymentSourceGC
      - Credit/Debit
    • PaymentSourcePYMT – Credit/Debit
    • PaymentSourceUnknown – Unknown
    • ColumnHeaderPaymentSource – Deposit/Fund Source
    • CancelButton – Cancel
    • AddFundsToBalanceButton – Load
    • AddPaymentMethodButton – Add
    • ErrorUnderManualReviewRMT – Your digital license cannot access the Real Currency Auction House yet.
    • ErrorLaunchRestrictionRMT – The Real Currency Auction House will be available at a later date. The expected availability is {s1}.
    • AddPaypalDropDownItem – Add Paypal Account (Opens a Browser)
    • RefreshPaypal – Refresh
    • AddPaypalTooltip – Opens a web browser to add a Paypal account to your Battle.net account.
    • AddPaypalButton – Add
    • RetryAddPaypal – Add Paypal
    • ErrorNoNewPaypalAccount – No Paypal account was detected.
    • PendingCurrencySwitchDialogTitle – Switching Currency
    • PendingCurrencySwitchDescription – Please wait while your payment methods are retreived.
    • CurrencyNowSwitched – Switched to {s1}.
    • TooltipGoldDisabled – You can’t sell gold in the Gold Auction House.
    • PendingRefreshingBalanceDescription – Please wait while your updated account balance is retrieved.
    • PendingRefreshingBalanceDialogTitle – Refreshing Balance
    • BalanceRefreshed – You account balance has been updated successfully.
    • CurrencyOptionsMustLogInTooltip – Available after log in
    • CurrencyOptionsNoCurrenciesFound – No real money currencies are available.
    • ErrorStartingPriceExceedsSoftCap – The starting price you set will exceed the allowed Battle.net balance limit. Please set a lower amount.
    • ErrorPostExceedsSoftCap – {s1} was not posted because you have exceeded your account soft cap.
    • RaiseBidWarning – Raising your maximum bid on an Auction you are already winning raises your current bid to your previous maximum bid. Are you sure you want to continue?
    • ItemTypeFollowerItems – Follower Special
    • SearchResults – Search Result
    • PurchaseRefund – Purchase Refund
      string2: Shown in the Completed Tab when you click on a stack of gold in the claimable item list and that gold was part of a refund for overpaying for a commodity.
    • ItemNameWithRefund – {s1} Refund
      string2: Shown as the item name in the Completed Tab when clicking on a gold stack in the claimable items list the gold is a refund
    • ItemNameSold – {s1} Sold
      string2: Shown as the item name in the Completed Tab when clicking on a gold stack in the Claimable items list when the gold is from a sale
    • OutbidRefund – Outbid Refund
      string2: Shown in the Completed Tab when you click on a stack of gold that is a refund due to being outbid on an auction
    • ItemNameOutbid – {s1} Outbid
      string2: Shown in the Completed Tab when clicking on a stack of gold that was returned to you becuase you were outbid.

BIG NOTE HERE: According to the literature provided by Blizzard, it looks like they will not be supporting any 3rd party API's — in other words, they don't want any plugins to try to "game the system". However... the Auction House will be available OUTSIDE of the gam client on the Diablo III website.... so lots of information will be available to parse with 3rd party API's .... we'll have to see what comes of it.
  7. HÃ¥les

HÃ¥les IncGamers Member

What we really need is an API that doesn't take any direct AH actions — as in, no "botting".

However...

If we can collect and analyize data from the AH, we could potential create indicators. For example... if 3 weeks ago the average sale price of Subtle Essence was 250 gold each, and today it's 350, we might be able to set up an indicator for when the margins on the buying / selling of the Subtle Essence are at a historical low + or - the 15% transaction fees to give AH gamers a chance to buy up or sell off their stock piles to make a profit (by hand of course) no botting. I don't foresee a problem using an API that provided indicators, and snap-shots of how many of what item were listed and at what price, etc.
  8. CptSlappy

If Bobby wants the auction house used as much as possible, and that's im sure he wants ;), the auctions must be displayed outside of the actual game like in a browser and therefore be accessible via an API.
  9. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

edit: nvm.
  10. skyevn

skyevn IncGamers Member

Blizz doesn't want you to write useful tools like that.

And I agree with them.
  11. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

They could just let us send simple queries and return an XML with the data.

I think nobody ever hacked google by sending bad strings through their searchbar, so where's the problem?
  12. Coolhwip

Coolhwip IncGamers Member

I called for this months ago. We need something like a plug in for SierraCharts to display bids and sell orders in real time. Leaving users blind to both exposes traders to manipulation and exploitation.