Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Advice for my monk needed! (mp6 stuck)

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Ban Jo, Nov 7, 2012. | Replies: 19 | Views: 5031

1. Ban Jo

Ban Jo IncGamers Member

Hi all, I'm Italian and play on EU server. I had a solid WD but I never went 100% in love with that class so I rerolled to a monk. Here are the links and stats:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Banjo-2392/hero/21801170

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/banjo-2392/Banjo/21801170

Summary unbuffed with OWE and Seize the iniziative:

Damage: 146360.12
    EHP : 490818
    Life: 42933.62
    Armor: 4485 (58.74%)
    Strength: 71
    Dexterity: 2360
    Int: 460
    Vitality: 958
    Attacks per Second: 2.324 / 2.6394
    % Attack Speed Bonus: 51%
    % Crit Chance: 41.5%
    % Crit Damage: 392%
    % DMG Increased by Skills: 0%
    % Elemental Damage: 16%
    All Resistance: 517 (62.14%)
    % Dodge Chance: 43.6%
    % Life Bonus: 27%
    Life Steal: 3%
    % Melee Reduction: 4%

The main problems imo are the followings:

-5atk/sec 3LS and 150kdps but reflect dmg still hurt a LOT
    -molten is a main problem
    - when I run mp7 I encounter a 3rd big problem: sometimes mobs 1shot me. I did an a1 full run and then founded that skeleton 1shotted me with the big charging attack, but also some elites with high physical dmg went pretty close

So, I'm stuck on mp6 runs atm. Do you think there is any major problem on the toon right now?

Answers are welcome in advice and, again, sorry for my bad English but is my 3rd language ;)
  2. zorroaster

zorroaster IncGamers Member

get some items with allres. Your resist is very low, and except for vile ward no allres, only OWE resist. I would suggest aiming for around 600-650. Another thing is missing, and thats Life on hit. with such high attack speed, even 500-600 LoH will make a difference.
  3. Pizzarino

Pizzarino IncGamers Member

Scoundrel is not as good as Enchantress. The damage increases from both are about the same and enchantress gives you armor, which you need desperately.

The resolve talent isn't worth using. Fleet footed, transcendence, or guardian's path will probably save you from more deaths.

You could easily swap your chest piece and boots for +.5% protection increases instead of reaching for more damage and sacrificing a ton of stats to intelligence.

MP6 probably isn't the best monster power to farm on, even if you had all of the best possible gear. Most people find the best exp and drops per hour somewhere between MP2 and MP4.
  4. Deepfriar

Deepfriar IncGamers Member

I disagree, I think Resolve is nearly as good as Transcendence (but I do run in a group). I use either one depending on my mood & have a hard time deciding.

You do need some life on hit though, or more life steal on 2nd weapon. I have pretty decent end game gear & still can't do much beyond MP5 or 6 without dying & making it not worth my while unless I stack life steal AND loh. Best to hunt in a group (preferably with a Barb) beyond MP6.

Good luck!
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  5. Pizzarino

Resolve isn't going to do anything vs white mobs. They get stun locked by the FoT:TC 3rd hit effect when you're above 1.85 attacks per second.

Resolve doesn't do anything against an indirect attack. Something like an arcane orb still hits just as hard even if you're using resolve.

Resolve only triggers off of auto attacks and falls off after 2.5 seconds. Unless you're doing something wacky like alternating attacks on multiple targets, you're only getting the debuff on 3 mobs max if you're surrounded. Maybe only 2 if the mobs have a particularily large footprint.

So for resolve to do anything real, you need to get surrounded by an elite pack without frozen, molten, or arcane. Then you need to hold the debuff on 2-3 mobs of the pack, with your damage reduction in the narrow window where you can survive 80% of their incoming auto attack damage but 100% of it would kill you before you can focus something down and escape.

Also note that if you use serenity, resolve doesn't do anything while serenity is on. The makes it even harder for resolve to make a difference between life and death because life or death situations will typically use up serenity first.
  6. InsaneAction

InsaneAction IncGamers Member

Change out Resolve and try swapping one of your weapons Emeralds for a Perfect/Radiant Star Amethyst... You'll lose some damage but you will gain a heck of a lot of survivability... If you don't like it or it doesn't seem to be working it's to easy to switch back.
  7. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

Resolve shouldn't be used for life/death situations: it can however be very useful to allow you to "tank" (and not having to kite) monsters. So if you feel like you can "just not" tank the monsters resolve could fix that and increase your overall speed.
  8. gakky

gakky IncGamers Member

After OWE and SiT, Resolve is the most popular passive, even after the 1.05 nerf. I only use it for ubers or high MP, but for most people it is too powerful to pass up. The other passives mentioned above are quite viable, but Resolve is the most defensive.
    Tips for Reflects:
    1. The biggest reflect damage comes from hitting multiple monsters with SW/Cyclones. Take on the Reflects one at a time or turn off SW. Echoing Fury makes it easy to pick the elites off one at a time.
    2. The best solution is actually to gear up to do more damage, so you get the most out of Serenity.
    3. Get more resist and armor. This reduces the Reflect damage. I think Melee Reduction helps. I have 15%,
    4. Get more LOH. I have 1622LOH with about 2.5APS, 800resists, 5000 defense.
    5. Feel sorry for the poor DHs. Low resists and life and no 30% reduction :)
  9. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

I would indeed change out resolve for transcendence with high aps and spamming MoC its +3100 life each MoC cast, getting some LoH will also help and getting some all res + owe items will also help.

Here is my monk, its not as powerfull as yours but I can stand my own in MP6 things die very slowly, But I don't die that much, I mostly farm for keys and organs on mp4(solo)- 5 and 6 (in group) ubers mostly on MP5 (we did it on MP6 once which was brutal but we got them down eventually, skelly king and maghda where ruthless, the rest was a nice challenge but not to hard)

But if you aint farming for keys / exp and are just going for drops (legendaries / sets) its best to farm in MP1, the extra time spent in killing on the other mp's isn't worth the extra chances on drops.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  10. Ban Jo

Ban Jo IncGamers Member

Thx for the feedback.

As a personal playstyle, I hate low mp selections. I mean, with 150k+ dps is just a massive faceroll of mobs, no matter what kind of affixes you encounter. To me, this is very boring and low entertaining. I want challenge when it come to games, not that kind of thing.

So I would like to farm keys at least in mp7, with a final goal of mp8. Plus, if you can do it properly, the massive exp and extra chance of keys drop is a huge return against the low run speed.

As someone already wrote, resolve is still the 3rd passive for most of us in situation where you need to tank. Ppl now use him mainly for ubers, but the monk passives selection is so poor that there aren't too many viable skill in this slot.

I think that I'll try who khim with 9xx dps 2x% lighting dmg skill and I'll sell the (awesome) off hand. This will decrease my dps within 10k but a medium who neglete almost the effect by himself.

Then with the cash I'll take: a good litany with 5%+ Ias and a bracer with ar/posion res to fix my resist over 600 and see how it goes.

Talking of off set: zunimassa trail and tal rasha are too much underrated. I still think that the BiS feet for monk are the Zuni journal (1.0.3) with 6% poison dmg 6% atk speed around 200 dex + vit. Really hard to obtain, but people just looks for nata 2nd set in this slot so no one care too much. Talking of the chest, sure end game inna + wicked hour is better then tal rasha + inna belt but not TOO much, and the difference in $$ HUGE.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  11. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

I totally agree, I'd rather have a challenge then faceroll trough things.
    Thats why I like keyfarming better then just legendary farming, it justifies the slow runspeed of things a bit and no one can go "but you are doing it wrong".
    But when I'm really tired or just feel like running trough mobs and not really thinking I'll go to MP1 and just faceroll everything, farm an act and end with killing the warden, then do that again. But mostly I'll play on a higher MP setting.
    Ook the ring isn't awsome (though it can be the most awsome ring out there if the RNG gods are willing) and you wont get alot of legendary items quick, but for me thats not really the goal of the game.
  12. Pizzarino

Just because resolve is "most popular" doesn't mean it is actually good. It's not like OWE and STI which are switched on all the time and work against all forms of damage. Resolve is much narrower. If you die to arcane orbs stuck in some crowd control skill, it didn't help you. If you're killing mobs that aren't even hurting you though the OWE and STI defensive buffs you've already got on, resolve isn't helping you either. There's a very small target between "win more" and "not enough" and I don't think resolve hits the mark.

Personally, I just use fleet footed as the third passive during any normal farming. Movement speed always helps you, even when you're in town. For uber fights I'm indifferent between resolve, transcendence, and a dodge passive. I can't say there is a clear winner based on any formal testing, but on theory alone I'd guess a dodge passive helps to prevent the burst damage deaths in the SK/Maghda fight.
  13. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

I mostly run with transcendence, the heal does help me and with a full bulb its 9300 life which is about 1/4th of my total life, it does help.
    I've tried a dodge passive from time to time over transcendence it just wasn't my cup of tea.
    Iits not bad, I just like the heal more cause you can time it compared to the dodge passive, the dodge is based on luck, it might work it might not.

While normal farming (MP0 or MP1) fleet footed is awsome indeed.
  14. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

No way you need 1000+ loh if you also have 2.7+% ls on one of the weapons with that dps.
  15. gakky

gakky IncGamers Member

Hey kamap, note you can get the equivalent of transcendence from giving up just one attribute in your Helm. It's quite cheap in Inna Helm noone seems to want LPSS there.
    I agree about Fleet Footed. I only switch it off for ubers. Now that I think of it, it would be useful for chasing down Kulle and getting out of his time bubbles.
  16. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

Bad time bubles can be serenitied. It would also destroy your 5 NV stacks switching it out to Fleet Footed for only kulle, it doesn't bring anything to the other uber fights.

True you can get LpSS somewhere else (weapons, helm) but I'd rather have it stack ontop of transcendence then be the only source.
    Can helms get to 62 LpSS?
  17. pulli

pulli IncGamers Member

I run cooldown reduction nowadays, the extra flashes & other spells seem so much more useful than the little bit of extra "Life on hit".
  18. gakky

gakky IncGamers Member

The bubbles are too frequent to handle with just serenity. Fleet footed would also be useful against Skeleton King and Magda. They move around a lot and lasers need to be dodged. Not useful against Ghom and Siege.

Helms can have 62 LPSS. Lvl 62 helms can also have 62 since 1.05 including Inna Helm.
  19. Ban Jo

Ban Jo IncGamers Member

Totally true, and who told me that I need more loh doesn't understand how having 150k dps + ls works :V

By the way, I think that the main problem of my monk is that it is top 400EU dps (monk) but far away when you look at his EHP.

I can off tank mp6 ubers with easy atm (some paragon already farmed helped) but I'll rework mainly all res.

In solo, mp5 is face rolling couz I own any elite path with only 1 use of serenity, while in mp7+ things get more harder. I never tryed any easier then mp5 for that reason and as I wrote, the umbalance between dps/ehp is the main problem.

I'll buy a Litany with 9%IAS 7%Elite Reduction when I'll see one at around 200M has 1st upgrade. Then look for bracer with poison/ar.

Also working on a new tanking build with a shield and around 100k dps. I'll share the item build when I will be satisfied with the ehp/dps calculator ;)
  20. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member