Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Account suspended for 25 years? No warning, no explanation.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Delphian, Jun 13, 2012. | Replies: 23 | Views: 5675

1. Delphian

Delphian IncGamers Member

So, I was happily kiting around a pack of Invulnerable Desecrator Extra Health (and something else) Unburied's, when I got disconnected with an error message notifying me that my account has been suspended for "repeated violations."

I logged on to B.net to create a ticket, saw that it can sometimes take "up to 30 minutes" for an email to be generated detailing the suspension, so I opted to wait for that Email. It has since been at least an hour, and I have not received the email yet.

So, I logged back on to B.net in order to create a support ticket. When I got in to the field where I describe my problem, I saw that my account was to be suspended until June 7. "That's strange," I thought to myself, "it's already the 13th." Then I looked closer, and I saw that it said 6/7/37.

So, my account is suspended until June 7, 2037, at which point I'll be...carry the one...yeah, 54 years old.

Has anybody else experienced this?

a) I'm not aware of committing ANY violation of any kind, let alone repeatedly
    b) I did not receive ANY warning--which seems like it would be well warranted on a suspension-worthy violation
    c) I still have not received any kind of explation
    d) 25 YEARS? Who does that?

Anyway, I'm posting to see whether there's anybody out there who can shed any light on my present difficulties. I'm all ears.

Thanks
  2. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

I think your best course of action is to call customer support and be as polite as possible.
  3. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator; Clan Officer West

Agreed. Call them and ask what you did that caused them to ban you. There was another thread on this yesterday. You may want to look for it to see if there was a resolution in that case yet.
  4. AceOfJacks

AceOfJacks IncGamers Site Pal

It's ok, by then Diablo 4 will be out (hopefully)

Also, was your account compromised in any way before this? January of this year, my e-mail was compromised, and someone set up Parental Controls on my b.net account, looking to try to sniff out some WoW info. Lucky for me, I don't play WoW. Anyway, when I went to set up my info for the RMAH, it told me that I couldn't use the RMAH due to Parental Controls settings. I had to call Blizzard and explain to them that I never set up Parental Controls in the first place, and they removed them from my account on the spot. So maybe there is some fishy business going on with someone trying to steal your information. Your best bet, as mentioned by others, is to call them and see what happens.
  5. Nizaris

Nizaris Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

Please follow up with your conversations you have with Blizz Customer Service. It will be interesting to hear what the source/cause of this was.
  6. Delphian

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm currently on hold with Blizzard. Expected wait is 41 minutes. Awesome. Someone said something about being polite?

AceOfJacks, that's an interesting one. I'm not aware of anything being compromised, but then again, neither were you. Anyway, that still doesn't explain why my account got stomped on. If it had been compromised and somebody had been doing something unsavory with it, it seems to me that some kind of warning would have been sent out before a quarter-century suspension, and the only email address associated with the account is mine. Certainly possible that there's something subtle going on somewhere, but it seems more likely to me that there's some kind of error or mistake on Blizzard's end here.
  7. AceOfJacks

Another possibility is that they're trying to track IP / ISP and ended up banning you because you live next door to a hacker or something. They might have banned you, a legit player, by accident, or you could just be collateral damage.
  8. Dorfoumous

Dorfoumous IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5795269634

Apparently the RMAH might be causing some people to be banned.. that is the thread: Below is Bashiok's comment...might be your case?

anyways Bashiok:
  9. SicklyFish

SicklyFish IncGamers Member

Yes, be polite. The CS reps had nothing to do with whatever happened, they are just trying to do their job as best as possible. I would imagine they have been absolutely flooded since may 15th.

10. FluffyTheFluffer

FluffyTheFluffer IncGamers Member

Only 25? They're getting soft.
  11. swayzesghost

swayzesghost Banned

If you ever want to get a damn thing done on the phone in your life, be nice, though firm, with CS reps. People can do a lot of things for you if you ask nicely. If you're rude, they can choose not do to the same things. It makes no difference to them once they hang up the line.

12. Nizaris

@Delphian - even if your account hasn't been compromised, I'd highly recommend an authenticator. It'll be a slight annoyance having to have it around every time you log in, but the head-ache it'll save you if ever your information gets compromised will be well worth it.
  13. AceOfJacks

I have mine, in the box, stuck to my monitor with double sided tape. I press the button through the box, read the code, type it in. Since I never plan on playing D3 anywhere else other than on my computer, it's fine. And if I ever do decide to play somewhere else, I can still remove the authenticator from the box and take it with me, or I can just take the double sided tape off my computer.

14. Delphian

@SicklyFish: I was joking. Of course I'm going to be polite. I just wasn't expecting a 40minute wait time. :)

Still on hold, incidentally...

I just perused the thread from yesterday that somebody mentioned above. Sounds like there are two things going on: 1) hacking, 2) RMAH issues. It seems most likely that I have been subject to the latter. I don't know anything about hacking and wouldn't use it if I did.

Looking over yesterdays "discussion," (things got a little off-topic), it seems relevant that I was testing out the RMAH. I used my Balance to purchase a $9 item, worked fine. Then I noticed that I could use a debit card I'd saved on B.net directly, so I tried that on like a $3 item. I entered the correct security code and received notification that the transaction couldn't go through.

It is perhaps also relevant that I changed the address on that card within the last week--I moved house to a a new address and had not yet updated my b.net info.

So maybe that somehow resulted in a ban? (Even so, it seems a little over-zealous to ban for 25 years. Like swatting a mosquito with a nuclear warhead.)

@Nizaris: I have been using the mobile authenticator for about a week now.
  15. Nizaris

Awesome :)

Hope you get it all sorted!
  16. Delphian

"Estimated hold time is currently 41 minutes"

...more than an hour ago.
  17. Delphian

Alrighty, so I just got off the phone with Joshua at Blizzard. He was friendly and helpful.

Basically, he said it looked as though my account was locked pursuant to an RMAH transaction that did not go through, either because of incorrectly entered information, or because the financial institution declined the transaction, etc. He unlocked my account for me.

I asked him whether there was any way to avoid this sort of difficulty in the future, and he essentially said he couldn't answer because he didn't know why the problem had occurred in the first place.

I logged back on to D3 and checked on the auction house. Unsurprisingly, the second small purchase (the one that had failed) was marked "Failed" under the "Completed" tab. I was surprised, however, to find that the first item I'd purchased using my Balance had been returned to the seller and the cost refunded to the Balance.

It sounds like Blizz is having some serious issues with the RMAH, so I'm going to hold off on any transactions there until I hear that things have been resolved--or at least until we find out what the actual problem was in the first case.

In the meantime, I'll return to grinding A1 Inferno, where I die every few minutes because my melee char is a melee char and the D3 developers didn't like melee chars because they designed everything to kill melee chars because melee chars are BAD!

So maybe I'll try to get better gear that way...

And just so everybody knows, I was VERY polite on the phone.

Zack
  18. Capt Goodman

Capt Goodman IncGamers Member

He'll be eligible for parole after 5 though, Bobby Kotick doesn't like losing money.

19. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

I'm glad things worked out for you. Thank you for sharing your experience.
  20. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator; Clan Officer West

Good report and they do apparently have some issues with the RMAH.