Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A way to estimate the number of active players using ladder rankings?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Fizoo, Feb 3, 2013. | Replies: 8 | Views: 1739

1. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

Like:

USWest LOD softcore paladins: #200 is level 97 with 3,013 million xp.

We know just from that there's gotta be way over 200 active paladins right there.

USwest classic softcore paladins: #200 is level 42 with 22,201k xp.

Would there be a way to develop a formula to determine just how active a server is from this data?

I could spitball and suggest there's gotta be at least 4000 active paladins in USWest LOD softcore alone. But is there a way to be more exact?
  2. BryanM

BryanM IncGamers Member

A depressing fact, is if you assume a 50 to 1 bot:human ratio, you've got a concurrency rate of ~400 human beings, total, on all the servers across the world combined. A more generous but unrealistic ratio of 10:1, it's still ~2000. Which is pretty good, for such an ancient game.
  3. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

It feels much more than 2000. I played a decade ago and there were bots then and the ladder rankings havent deteriorated much at all. You mightve had 3 pages of public games back then, and you get that now during peak times. I have to think the use of bots and multiple accounts is very low. The first thing youd do if you had multiple accounts would be to login multiple times to the same game to boost your xp and drops. I almost never see it and im on quite a bit. i may see it once per month.
  4. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

If Id made a guess, Id say there are about 4-8k players on bnet, thats not bots. EUSCL.

Peace
  5. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

Actually, I realized that ladder doesn't tell us anything. The biggest playerbase on battle.net is softcore nonladder. I just checked right now and on USeast there is 1.5 pages of games on normal and 2.5 pages of games on hell. And its late Sunday night when most people are in bed. On USWest there is 1.5 pages on normal.
  6. Black Lotus

Black Lotus IncGamers Member

That would be an estimation of how active the server is, bot-wise. It also safe to say that 97lvl ladder paladin is botted.
  7. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

I dunno I run into a LOT of unique players who chat a lot in game and are clearly not botting.
  8. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

My brother has a lvl 98 Hammer/Conviction Paladin. He aint botting!
  9. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

Another way I look at it is I STILL feel that games fill up with unique players almost as quickly now as they did 10 years ago. At least on softcore ladder. I think hardcore ladder has fallen on hard times, but then again the ladder wasn't reset every 6 months 10 years ago. And nonladder looks absolutely PACKED with people way beyond ladder play, and I don't really play it.