Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A Thread for Dondrei. (BBC Grammar Quiz)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jmervyn, May 15, 2013. | Replies: 23 | Views: 2945

1. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I scored 7/10 and I wasn't sure at all about three correct answers. I had to guess about the which/that question and two others needed ruling out the other two possibilities which looked even sillier.

I think there were two silly questions in the test. The question about Hilary's gender is BS. I don't think the reasoning for the right answer makes any sense. Second, why is it a grammar question to know about Churchill's point of view on a grammar issue?

Of course, that may be seen as a sign of my envy about not being an English grammar geek. I'm better at spelling :D.
  3. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

That's the one I missed as well.
    It's not; he supposedly asked the question in such a way as to include the flaw which he was making light of. So you're identifying the flaw made deliberately within the quote.
  4. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Is it a bad sign if I can't actually find the quiz?

I did find a very lol-worthy article written by Dan Brown though.
  5. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

kegs ...

*ruffles kegs thinning head of hair*

Wait. Dan Brown? Dan Brown never wrote anything in his life :no:
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
  6. Vivi

Vivi IncGamers Member

Interestingly I scored 8/10. Had to guess about a third as I do not know what grammar terms like noun or gerund are. I never had proper English education you see, I'm selftaught. (and rubbish at it at times)
  7. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Er, considering I linked it in the first post? Yes, very bad. Very bad indeed.
  8. kestegs

Maybe it just doesn't display on my phone...because I swear it's not there!
  9. kestegs

It was some silly flash nonsense, so It worked fine on the computer.

I got a 6/10...meh. Like vivi, I don't know all the proper terms for stuff. I missed the Hilary one as well, which I do think was nonsense. I almost picked male, because it just seemed like it had to be a trick and that would be the answer if it was.

I also missed the Churchill one, couldn't really figure out what they even were asking.

I don't agree with the chair question "I was sat in the chair" is proper. It's just a different meaning than they they wanted it to have.
  10. Glurin

Glurin IncGamers Member

mE is grammar' guru! Me grammar; good at be. I score got 9/10! :dopey:
  11. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

"I was sat in the chair" is perfectly sound. As in: "The guards forced me into the room. I was sat in the chair." However, as pattern recognizing beings, we should look at the other two options and see their simplicity; that is, no sneaky context is needed.

The that/which question is unfair imo. All three are correct depending on context. Was there just one car or were there many? If there were many, you should say, "The car which ran me over was speeding." Use "which" to refer to one thing of many things.

The Churchill one is OK. If you don't know it offhand, it's best handled by rearranging the sentence to its more natural sounding state. You would then notice it ends in a preposition, "with".
  12. krischan

I think it looks weird that way. Wouldn't that have to be "I was set/put into the chair"?

I don't think that "sit" can be put into passive because sentences with the active form of "sit" don't have a direct object to be turned into nominative when changing the clause into passive.
  13. kestegs

Yes, that's exactly how I see it. Ironically I made that assumption for the sledding question and got it right, but didn't make it for the the chair question.
  14. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

Well, you had me worried. But I found this:
    http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=808910

The fifth comment down:

"The only correct use of I was sat is in the meaning ‘to be placed in a particular seat by somebody’, as in I asked for a seat near the aisle, but I was sat at the far end of the row."

While it does look odd, we should be allowed to use the best sounding verb for the job. In this case it's sit/sat. "Seated" would be good to avoid awkwardness, but people are fussy.
  15. krischan

Well, my comment about changing active to passive is missing the point anyway. A phrase in passive form doesn't have to derive from one in active, of course.
  16. Vivi

Vivi IncGamers Member

Given I don't really understand the last posts, I really wish I had had proper English education. All I can do is guess. It's always been like this with me, even when I was taught German at school - complex grammar rules and the teacher demanded me to tell which rule I applied (was it Dativ or Akkusativ and why) and all I could come up with is "it sounds right." It was right too.
  17. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

Don't worry vivi, I supposedly had a proper english education, but learned nearly all the grammar I know from taking spanish and the little green line in MS word. Some of those you could have guessed just because one sentence was more awkward than the others.

I got a 8/10. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to know that the neighbor lives alone. Certainly there could be and it would be more likely that there would be multiple neighbors. I know the rule, but this neighbor apparently is single, but still bought a place large enough to have a garden.

I also got tangled in the web of the transgendered hilary. I was sure there was no way to tell. Commas be damned! I also knew the comma in the king's clothing one made it a misplaced modifier, but I can never remember how to make it not so. I usually just rearrange the sentence instead.

I was super proud of getting the semi-colon one right. i think someone from here made me learn that to stop annoying them, Borty maybe.
  18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I legitimately didn't know the answer to at least three of them.

(Nobody ever remembers but I was actually a malapropism Nazi, not a grammar Nazi. Sometimes spelling. Like all native English speakers my grammar is appalling.)

Totally didn't get here because I googled my old profile and this was the first thread that came up. I'm way too cool to do that.
  19. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

*EDIT* Oh yeah this forum doesn't auto-append posts. Ah, nostalgia.

I wondered that as well, but as it turns out the correct form is "I was seated in the chair.", the use of "sat" as a substitute for "seated" in this context is informal.
  20. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Dondrei!

Time to Dance in the OTF Buddy!

How's the Wife and the ladyboys - Wink wink - nudge nudge

BTW is the current game site down?
    or are you visiting ? if so visit the bar and the OTF in the OTF
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013