Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A thread for all us "Haters"

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by SteveG, May 1, 2012. | Replies: 49 | Views: 3278

1. SteveG

SteveG IncGamers Member

A thread for all us "Haters"

OK, for nearly four years, all of us "haters" have been hating on D3 for this development decision and that development decision. Now that the beta is over and we are in the home stretch until release, I thought it would be a good idea for all of us "haters" to let everyone know something about D3 that, in your opinion, the devs got RIGHT. I'll go first.

Death animations. This is something that, IMO, pretty much every other ARPG developer gets wrong. I've played TL, TQ, PoE beta and watched gameplay footage for Grim Dawn but ALL of them have a total lack of interesting death animations. Where's the blood? The gore? We're going to be killing thousands of non-boss, non-super unique, non-champion mobs, their deaths need to be made interesting and fun.

So, thank you Blizzard for the awesome death animations. Loved wandering around the Weeping Hallow and just obliterating packs and packs of zombies and staining the ground red. Sometimes literally knocking the bones out of their skin. Head's flying, torsos flinging, all VERY satisfying. The last 6 weeks or so of the beta, this is pretty much all I did. Both with the barb and wizard, with her wave of force skill. I could do without the moon physics, but hey, that’s stuff for another thread. This is an appreciation thread.
  2. Nizaris

Nizaris Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

Re: A thread for all us "Haters"

Was not what I was expecting. In a good way.
  3. bazinga

bazinga IncGamers Member

Not as colorful as people made it out to be.
  4. Paddywan

Paddywan IncGamers Member

Previous poster did not read >.<

The skill system: While I'm dubious about some of the other game systems. The fact that I change my opinion on my "best build" almost weekly and that will only increase once the game is released is very interesting.
  5. Widukind

Widukind IncGamers Member

I've got the idea that not many 'true haters' are going to respond in this thread and if they will, I doubt their answers will be very serious...
  6. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

Reminds me of something permaximum attempted aeons ago... Didn't end so well... But it is a good idea, will be interesting to see what do people say...
  7. SteveG

SteveG IncGamers Member

LOL! Come on haters, it's not like you're not going to buy the game. I've been here a couple of years now, I've been spewing almost nothing but hate, but I'm still going to be playing at midnight.

8. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

this actually is a good idea for a thread. even if you complain about 90% of the game there has to be something you enjoy otherwise why bother following it? the same could go for people who never speak ill of the game, they could mention one thing they dont like
  9. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator; Clan Officer West

LOL. This ^ There are many who will still be buying the game even though they disagree with certain design decisions. I probably disagree with some but will also be playing. The thing is, there are probably zero games that are going to be everything to everybody.

This game is NOT rainbows and unicorns.

10. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

I like the idea of the thread, but I don't see the point of hating on the game, at this stage of the game. To me, someone coming on prophesizing doom and disaster, telling us how much the game will suck, how great other games will be, how much better D2 is/was...is saying this:

"I didn't get what I want, I fear change, and I want everyone else to be miserable too!"

It is time to take your sour grapes to another market, because a sweet harvest for the ages is on its way.
  11. spintowin

spintowin IncGamers Member

since I like all the changes Blizzard has made Ill name something I dont like.

10char

I remember clearly in an interview that Jay W. said at the moment you will be able to make over 40 different characters. That it was reduced to 10 really disappointed me. On top of that the stash reduction but this may not be that big an issue seeing as how its still bigger than D2s and could be enough initially.

But the 10 char limit made me upset.
  12. RAMailley

RAMailley IncGamers Member

Where is Hideo when you need him...
  13. Doppel

Doppel Banned

Death animations: Ragdoll physics and gibs pretty much look crap or hilarious (in a bad way) in about every game that ever made use of them, but somehow Blizzard successfully combined them with death animations reminding of Diablo 1.

Skills: I'm not agreeing with everything here, but i do applaud the fact players will be much more prone to making use of 6 interesting skills, making combat more, well, interesting.

Sounds: Whether it's picking up a healthglobe, or a monster's death gurgle, i already know that a decade from now i'll still smile thinking about it.

Resource systems: They maybe aren't as revolutionary as i wanted them to be, but i've come around liking it more then the old mana globe. I just hope gear won't come with too much resource bonusses making the interesting systems of resource management redundant.

Health system: I used to not like health globes, i think the reason why is because Blizzard seemed to push it as the health system. Now health globes are one of the many health systems. Most characters can build around health globes, or active heal spells, or spells that drain life, and so on, giving players a wide range of choices on how to keep their characters alive.

Item drops: It's such a relieve that not every monster drops heaps of items. It's much closer to D1 again. Rare items will be rare and more valuable. I love the pacing of it much more. I just hope that by the end of Hell item drops don't take on D2 proportions again.

Random events: A corrupted wizard rummaging through spellbooks, a tortured soul not ready to die yet, it all adds to the atmosphere.

I think that's it for the moment.
  14. RAMailley

RAMailley IncGamers Member

Interesting you should say that about sounds, Doppel. The watery thunk of health globes is already engraved into my mind, but I've only played a few hours of D3 beta.
  15. Hideo

Hideo Banned

Uhhh? I'm supposed to defend this crap, which D3 is? Ok...

They got cinematics really well technically. However, artistically, D2 intro >>> D3 intro.

Everything else is crap, which you can get for free in a game like Drakensang Online. In your ****ing browser.
  16. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i want to see hideo and permaximum each pick 1 think they like about d3 then i want to see them debate with each other on why that 1 thing is great
  17. ael

ael IncGamers Member

What I hate to see is comments like 'lolwut h4te3rs, ur still buying the game lulz amirite'.

I'm trying not to take any sides, but its very hard to do so in the state of the entire industry, not just blizzard or the development of d3. Games being dumbed down to a point that a 10 year old would have no problem enjoying it, yet it is rated M. Wtf ? Again, this is not necessarily blizzard related, but very true in this case.. Also, companies trying to get into your wallet is the first priority, not to make a game that sells well because it is actually any good. I find that .. lame. Of course, one could argue that it was like this since day one, but seriously, lets face it, it was not. People who direct something like the Coca Cola company should not be making games. I find that insulting as a consumer. I'm paying real $$$ for a product, and I expect it to be developed and directed by people who actually work in the field. Would you like dentist who doesn't practice? Or a lawyer ?

Ofc you can be a fanboy and turn a blind eye to all that, and praise everything that Jay or Kottick put out of their mouth. I don't know guys, but I start to respect the haters more. They certainly show more brain activity then most fanboys.

The only thing this game will be good at is earning cash for people who frankly just don't give a damn about the entire franchise. Fanboys will call it a success ofc, haters naturally gonna call it an epic fail. I think that pretty much sums it up.

*awaits derogative comments from raveharu and the like*
  18. Hideo

Hideo Banned

This game WILL sell well... :/ Because it has "Diablo 3" name on its cover. Nothing else matters.
  19. Nizaris

Nizaris Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

I still have yet to find the reason as to why Hideo is still part of a Diablo III fansite.

Also, I am not a hater of the game, but one thing I currently DISLIKE is the chat system and how they changed the waypoint system (though I understand the reason why they did)
  20. Darkmere

Darkmere IncGamers Member

That would be, because accepting that we don't get everything we want in life and moving on to something more enjoyable would get less attention than hanging around here crying like an infant around people who mostly disagree.